Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss GT2 3D 1.74 Progressive

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Zeiss GT2 3D 1.74 Progressive

Has anyone used this new lens yet? If so, would like to know if it works well with high astigmatism and whether the cylinder recommendation goes out beyond -4. Also any other feedback you have on this lens. Is it worth the extra bucks? Thanks.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    This post has been up for several days and not one reply. I feel shunned.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    In my opinion, Zeiss products are over priced and over rated. Perhaps this is the reason for lack of posts?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Are you putting Zeiss in the same wastebasket as most on this board put Essilor? What do you use in a PAL for high astigmats?

Occupation
    Who's putting them in the waste basket? Simply stating a fact...there are equivalent products out there at 30-40% less cost. I have fit quite a few GT2 lenses and haven't really achieved that wow factor like one would expect after dishing out a mortgage payment.

As for high astigmats, I wouldn't recommend anyone with over a -4.00D CYL to venture into progressives. I've done it before, however, it's past most manufacturers design limit recommendations and is more or less a crap shoot with 50/50 odds.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    I appreciate what you have to say and will learn from it.

We recently fitted a woman with Hoya Summit CD who had a -5.25 cylinder. She had said her Physio 360s made her feel like her eyes weren't working together, but was very happy with the Summit. She likes it for work which is primariily on computer. I am in still in the learning stage but have observed that some people (mostly women) are very motivated to use a progessive for both looks and convenience. For them it will work almost always, just because they make it work. So for them I am trying to learn what is best for high cylinder, since that seems the most difficult aspect if it is present. Now I think the Summit is good for those needing good intermediate vision, but am still wanting to learn what is best for those looking primarily for distance and near. This is what prompted me to ask about Zeiss GT2 3D. I have heard that the short corridor version would provide good distance and near rather than intermediate and wanted to know if anyone had experience with it and what the 3D quality is all about. I agree it is pricy.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I just put a woman with 8 bucks of cyl in a Summit CD and she loved 'em.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dragonlensman, what do you like and get good results with for high cyl and high add?

Occupation
    Of the ones I have done (cyl > 4.00D), I must say if I had to pick one or two, the iD Lifestyle and Summit have worked well.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Can either of you tell me what the 3D aspect of the new Zeiss lens is about beyond what is mentioned in corporate releases? Any experience with it?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    we have been fitted Zeiss GT2 3D quite a number sometime ago. distance is perfect no complaint even to a first time wearer. but the near zone is disappointing, we shifted the PAL wearer from Hoya FD, ID, summit CD as well as Essilor Physio 360 to GT2 3D and they came back with the same issue, problem with near the reading zone is too narrow.
    Yeap

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Thanks for your information. Is the Zeiss GT2 3D near area smaller than in the Physio 360? What do you prefer in a progressive for patients with high cylinder?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmoon View Post
    I appreciate what you have to say and will learn from it.

We recently fitted a woman with Hoya Summit CD who had a -5.25 cylinder. She had said her Physio 360s made her feel like her eyes weren't working together, but was very happy with the Summit. She likes it for work which is primariily on computer. I am in still in the learning stage but have observed that some people (mostly women) are very motivated to use a progessive for both looks and convenience. For them it will work almost always, just because they make it work. So for them I am trying to learn what is best for high cylinder, since that seems the most difficult aspect if it is present. Now I think the Summit is good for those needing good intermediate vision, but am still wanting to learn what is best for those looking primarily for distance and near. This is what prompted me to ask about Zeiss GT2 3D. I have heard that the short corridor version would provide good distance and near rather than intermediate and wanted to know if anyone had experience with it and what the 3D quality is all about. I agree it is pricy.
    I am wearing the short version of the Zeiss GT2 3D. I do a lot on the computer and it is no problem for my Rx -9.25+1.25x020 and -9.00+1.00x155 add + 2.50. Distance is where it really shines. Seems like a single vision Rx as far as lack of swim and side distortion. Darryl has stated before it doesn't have the widest intermediate , for that go to the Individual or the Sola One HD, which I personally did not like for lack of distance . Depends on the person what design is most preferred. If you really want a wider int , st-7x28 or 35.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    In my opinion, Zeiss products are over priced
    ZEISS progressive lenses are priced comparably to similar premium progressive lenses on the market. At first, I assumed that you were simply over-generalizing the entire premium progressive lens category, but you later go on to plug similarly priced HOYA lenses in this thread.

If so, would like to know if it works well with high astigmatism
    All ZEISS customized (free-form) lenses are fully optically optimized for the specific prescription requirements of the wearer. This preserves the intended optical performance of the lens design, regardless of the wearer's cylinder power. This article, Optics of Free-Form Lenses, will provide additional details.

This type of optical optimization is especially important for astigmats, since residual lens aberrations caused by high prescriptions and prescriptions with significant cylinder power will interact with the unwanted aberrations of the progressive lens optics, causing the viewing zones to shrink and shift.

A recent double-blind, randomized wearer trial conducted by the Clinical Research Center at UC Berkeley's School of Optometry also confirmed the improved performance of Zeiss Individual for these wearers. The results will be published in a couple of months in Optometry and Vision Science.

In fact, contrary to some of the opinions expressed in this thread, you would be doing high astigmats a disservice by not offering them an optically customized lens design, such as Zeiss Individual or GT2 3D, if they are purchasing progressive lenses.

am wearing the short version of the Zeiss GT2 3D... Darryl has stated before it doesn't have the widest intermediate
    Yes, unfortunately, short-corridor progressive lenses must sacrifice some intermediate utility due to the mathematical constraints of progressive lens designs. If you want the near zone closer to the distance zone, you must compress the area in between the two.

Can either of you tell me what the 3D aspect of the new Zeiss lens is about beyond what is mentioned in corporate releases
    Optically, the two lens designs are similar, although the GT2 3D lens design is slightly softer than the Zeiss Individual lens design. This was done to enhance binocularity by reducing the gradients of power over the lens design. Practically speaking, GT2 3D is not customized for the position of wear, either. The optical optimization relies on a set of average fitting values.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    [QUOTE=Darryl Meister;374831]ZEISS progressive lenses are priced comparably to similar premium progressive lenses on the market. At first, I assumed that you were simply over-generalizing the entire premium progressive lens category, but you later go on to plug similarly priced HOYA lenses in this thread.

It wasn't a plug; more of a success sharing story. As for pricing, up here in the Northern market it is a fact the Zeiss products are priced 20-30% higher than comparable competitor products.

Occupation

Big Smile

Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    It wasn't a plug; more of a success sharing story. As for pricing, up here in the Northern market it is a fact the Zeiss products are priced 20-30% higher than comparable competitor products.
    However I fear that Zeiss will/can say that those cheaper products simply aren´t comparable!:(

SCNR

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for your information. Is the Zeiss GT2 3D near area smaller than in the Physio 360? What do you prefer in a progressive for patients with high cylinder?
    for me any high cyl Rx i will choose nothing but a freeform, personally prefer SolaOne HD for high cyl as i have done once and the patient is happy with it.
    Yeap

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    However I fear that Zeiss will/can say that those cheaper products simply aren´t comparable
    Are you possibly ordering your progressive lenses through a non-ZEISS distributor, such as a HOYA or Essilor lab? Otherwise, there generally should not be that much of a price difference. I can certainly look into this for you, if you want to e-mail me the name of your laboratory.

However I fear that Zeiss will/can say that those cheaper products simply aren´t comparable
    Actually, unlike some of our competitors, I think you will find that the marketing teams at Carl Zeiss Vision prefer, instead, to present real optical comparisons and numerical results to eyecare professionals, rather than relying on anecdotal claims with no supporting evidence or "smoke and mirrors" marketing stories.

You will find a complete technical description of the product as well as actual ray-traced examples, a summary of early clinical studies, and so on in the Zeiss Individual white paper, available online for download.

If you find similar comparisons from companies selling customized lenses for "30-40% less," I would be the first to encourage you to post them. Otherwise, you really don't know whether they are really only selling you a conventional progressive lens design that has simply been directly surfaced, instead of factory molded, offering no real visual benefit to the wearer.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by xiaowei View Post
    However I fear that Zeiss will/can say that those cheaper products simply aren´t comparable!:(

SCNR
    Naturally...it's called self preservation. Most products on the market these days are very good and very comparable - what bothers me is when companies have this snooty high end, upper echelon approach to the market when their products are simply at par with the other big boys (Es, Nk, Hy, Shm, Rdn). Then bring out the smoke and mirrors to justify the 30% premium - certainly not enticing in my books.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Naturally...it's called self preservation. Most products on the market these days are very good and very comparable - what bothers me is when companies have this snooty high end, upper echelon approach to the market when their products are simply at par with the other big boys (Es, Nk, Hy, Shm, Rdn). Then bring out the smoke and mirrors to justify the 30% premium - certainly not enticing in my books.
    I agree with Darryl on the pricing. Zeiss lenses, especially my go to lens, the GT2 are priced less than Shamir or Essilor from my lab.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The Zeiss coatings are quite nice.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Darryl, would you please explain this sentence in terms for the novice.

This was done to enhance binocularity by reducing the gradients of power over the lens design

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

This was done to enhance binocularity by reducing the gradients of power over the lens design
    Page 5 of this http://www.opticampus.com/files/fund...ive_lenses.pdf (written by Darryl) has a good explaination of binocularity in progressive lens design.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    what bothers me is when companies have this snooty high end, upper echelon approach to the market when their products are simply at par with the other big boys (Es, Nk, Hy, Shm, Rdn).
    You obviously have some sort of personal bias against Carl Zeiss Vision, since you have, again, singled them out, this time as implying that the products are "snooty high end" among a list of competitors that are arguably in the very same price category when purchased from authorized distributors. I am sorry to hear that.

Unless, by "upper echelon approach to market," you are suggesting that you actually resent the product performance comparisons, clinical studies, and technical details that Carl Zeiss Vision, unlike several companies out there, makes available to eyecare professionals. Since it would be contrary to good clinical judgment, I assume that this is not the case.

The article that WFruit linked to is a good start. From a lens design perspective, softer lens designs are generally less sensitive to binocular differences in power between the right and left lenses, because the power changes more gradually over the design. So as the two eyes look through corresponding points through each lens, a softer design is more likely to produce smaller differences in power, prism, and magnification.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who's putting them in the waste basket? Simply stating a fact...there are equivalent products out there at 30-40% less cost. I have fit quite a few GT2 lenses and haven't really achieved that wow factor like one would expect after dishing out a mortgage payment.

As for high astigmats, I wouldn't recommend anyone with over a -4.00D CYL to venture into progressives. I've done it before, however, it's past most manufacturers design limit recommendations and is more or less a crap shoot with 50/50 odds.
    Really? Who is your supplier? GT2 (or GT2 3D) is easily 25% the cost of any offerings by essilor in the (chuckle) equivalent "category." Even going with the Zeiss Individual is less expensive than an id lifestyle. While there are a few offerings that are less expensive, they are only a few dollars less, and frankly perform significantly worse.

If you want the GT2 to give a patient "wow," you have to point it out to them. The design is so comfortable and natural that they don't realize how much they like it unless you tell them. Then they realize they can read without lifting their head, they can see comfortably when they look around the room, etc.

Put them in an individual and it only gets better.

Thread Information