Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a failure

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier I'm a failure

Oh where oh where have I gone wrong?
    My own daughter just ordered glasses off the internet!
    I am humiliated.
    She got two pair for $100 usd. I don't know exactly what but 1.67 and AR I know.
    I am curious to see them.
    Gaaaaa what will my friends say? She even posted this in her status on Facebook.
    Please don't condem me as a mother.
    goodsearch.com vosh

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You're a bad bad optician. You're grounded. No posting for a week!
    Really, though, WOW!
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDie View Post
    Oh where oh where have I gone wrong?
    My own daughter just ordered glasses off the internet!
    I am humiliated.
    She got two pair for $100 usd. I don't know exactly what but 1.67 and AR I know.
    I am curious to see them.
    Gaaaaa what will my friends say? She even posted this in her status on Facebook.
    Please don't condem me as a mother.
    I am real curious to hear her reason why?
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Did she even talk to you first?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Actually, some good may come of this. You have the perfect opportunity to examine them close up and check for quality, optical properties etc., and then the joy of adjusting them to fit! :-p

Please let us know what you find out.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You should never have given her her PD!!!!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper You will actually have a first hand expirience in all ways...........................

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post

Actually, some good may come of this. You have the perfect opportunity to examine them close up and check for quality, optical properties etc., and then the joy of adjusting them to fit! :-p

I am with Mike........................

You will actually have a first hand expirience in all ways. You will be one of the first OptiBoarders with everything to tell. The good and the bad.
    We will bw waiting for your report.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I actually just helped my next door neighbor order a pair online. She was talking about it while she was doing my hair and though I cautioned her about purchasing this way I told her if she was going to do it that I would make sure she got everything ordered correctly. So while my hair dye was cooking I was sitting at her computer entering her Rx and PD, checking out the frame size etc. Poly, no AR (she's a hairstylist) and a zyl frame which looked like a JNY knockoff. I haven't seen them yet but I told her I wanted to. I don't condone online purchasing but if someone I know is in the midst of ordering anyway I'm going to sigh deeply and step in to help.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I actually just helped my next door neighbor order a pair online. She was talking about it while she was doing my hair and though I cautioned her about purchasing this way I told her if she was going to do it that I would make sure she got everything ordered correctly. So while my hair dye was cooking I was sitting at her computer entering her Rx and PD, checking out the frame size etc. Poly, no AR (she's a hairstylist) and a zyl frame which looked like a JNY knockoff. I haven't seen them yet but I told her I wanted to. I don't condone online purchasing but if someone I know is in the midst of ordering anyway I'm going to sigh deeply and step in to help.
    That's admirable........find a new hairstylist.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @LadyDie:

I feel your pain....children often disappoint parents. Take the time to explain your thoughts on this with your "child" and if there is no remorse/regret forthcoming....add a new paragraph to your Last Will and Testament, and inform her that you have done so.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm with Mike, great chance to check out the competition.

In the words of Ceasar "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer".

To check it out internet specs last year, I ordered a couple sets for myself from Zenni. Since I can double for Sashquash, none of their larger frames fit my pumpkin head but the lenses seemed OK

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was lecturing to a group several weeks ago, and one "Optician" came up to me and wanted to know how to do what I do...lecture. She wanted to be able to break into the business. I gave her some tips and then later she mentioned that she bought all of her glasses online. She had just purchased 5 different pairs and thought they were fabulous, "for the price". That let me know, really fast that we can certainly be our own worst enemies. :(

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    That's admirable........find a new hairstylist.
    I'm not proud of it but if I had let her make the mistakes she was about to make she might have taken it out on my next haircut. You don't mess with your stylist.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have adjusted and fixed glasses the were purchased online before and people always say about the same thing. They are okay and they were cheap. Not inexpensive but cheap. They would not pay a higher price for the product they got because it would not be worth it.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm not proud of it but if I had let her make the mistakes she was about to make she might have taken it out on my next haircut. You don't mess with your stylist.
    Call your stylist, and ask her over to your house. Call around to other hair stylists...preferably a national commercial hair chain if possible. Explain that you found a cheaper commercial place...ask if she could slighty touch up ant of the areas you are not happy about for free...let us know her response.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I am real curious to hear her reason why?
    My guess would be 2 pair for $100.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    Call your stylist, and ask her over to your house. Call around to other hair stylists...preferably a national commercial hair chain if possible. Explain that you found a cheaper commercial place...ask if she could slighty touch up ant of the areas you are not happy about for free...let us know her response.
    Yeah, tell her you found it cheaper online!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Yeah, tell her you found it cheaper online!
    next time you get your hair styled take in a couple pictures of some discount on-line hair styling tools & ask her opinion on which ones would be the best deal if you wanted to start doing your own hair styling at home.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Is this a surprise really? Damned Kids!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I did

I may have mentioned this before, but I did order a pair of SV for my son online JUST so I could see firsthand the quality, or lack thereof. I think with postage and all it cost around 18$. The AR didn't look too bad, if the frame would have lasted more than three months I might have found out how long the AR would have held up. Cheap frame, but stylish, not a bad pair for backup. The optics were dead on, so I was pleasantly surprised. Or not, depending on how you look at it. I wouldn't order any more, it was just to see for myself what kind of glasses people were getting for 14$.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kaypaula View Post
    I may have mentioned this before, but I did order a pair of SV for my son online JUST so I could see firsthand the quality, or lack thereof. I think with postage and all it cost around 18$. The AR didn't look too bad, if the frame would have lasted more than three months I might have found out how long the AR would have held up. Cheap frame, but stylish, not a bad pair for backup. The optics were dead on, so I was pleasantly surprised. Or not, depending on how you look at it. I wouldn't order any more, it was just to see for myself what kind of glasses people were getting for 14$.
    BROKEN RECORD ALERT!!!!!

I've said this before on OB: getting the power right (grinding the right curve on the minus side) is the easy part. Lousy glasses aren't often lousy because the power is wrong. There is so much more to it, particularly the fitting and adjustment. Hitting the numbers counts for only a little piece of the puzzle.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    BROKEN RECORD ALERT!!!!!

I've said this before on OB: getting the power right (grinding the right curve on the minus side) is the easy part. Lousy glasses aren't often lousy because the power is wrong. There is so much more to it, particularly the fitting and adjustment. Hitting the numbers counts for only a little piece of the puzzle.
    SNARKY COMMENT ALERT!!!!

Well, thanks Captain Obvious ;)
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ahhhhhh really you participated in some one ordering on line, tell me it's not true!
    I don't know I think the right honorable Harry should judge this and judgement will be binding in all states. But really you did? :finger:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eye2 View Post
    Ahhhhhh really you participated in some one ordering on line, tell me it's not true!
    I don't know I think the right honorable Harry should judge this and judgement will be binding in all states. But really you did? :finger:
    Oh boy. I helped a friend do what she was hell bent on doing by reluctantly making sure it was done with all the i's dotted. She was going to do it anyway and I was there. Fine, I'll turn in my badge.

Sorry I even mentioned it, sorry I did it. Now i'm being harrassed on my PM board by anonymous people.
    Last edited by cocoisland58; 12-20-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    next time you get your hair styled take in a couple pictures of some discount on-line hair styling tools & ask her opinion on which ones would be the best deal if you wanted to start doing your own hair styling at home.
    Not a bad idea.

Thread Information