Thread: Help me with buying edger decisions!

OptiBoard Apprentice Optomitrix Prime's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Help me with buying edger decisions!

So heres the deal...

I have a working santi Le-7070pcm at my current store. I love the thing, Ive worked on gerbers before and every 3-6 months i had to replace the sliding doors and much more.

Opening another store and I'm wondering what else is out there as reliable as the Santinellis. I have my prices for another 7070 from Vsi, And quotes for the 9000. They come with the package and i like the price so far... Not feeling so happy about Santi's prices for the 1000's only because i have to add 500 here and 450 there for the blocker, pumps, etc..

So i need feed back guys. Do i spend 23-25k from santinelli and have a edger that is having parts still produced for. Or do i get what im used to (7070) and maintain as closely as possible?. Or do i go an alternate route?

-Our business will be projecting 15- 25 jobs a day, Finish only, No drill mounts(we ship out) , I have grooving machines and prefer manually doing it(unless someone has a story to win me over), hand stones of course.. i dont know, i guess im in mid stage of research.:hammer:

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I say if you like the 7070 get the 9000 sx express. Esspecially since you're not going to be drilling. The 9000sx comes with a groover and the entire machine is easy to maintain. Also, Santinelli still has tech support on-line and on the phone. We do a similar amount of jobs per day and we've had our edger for about 6 years now. I really enjoy how simple it is to use. Good luck :) PM me if you have any questions about it.
    Pez:D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ive used santinelli in my old place...opened a new office and we got a new briot...i will never go to anything else now

check out the briot alta nx...a bit on the pricey side but cuts jobs accurate, quick, and is virtually idiot proof (we have a new guy edging jobs and it corrects mistakes for him)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyEyes View Post
    ive used santinelli in my old place...opened a new office and we got a new briot...i will never go to anything else now

check out the briot alta nx...a bit on the pricey side but cuts jobs accurate, quick, and is virtually idiot proof (we have a new guy edging jobs and it corrects mistakes for him)
    And while you're thinking about a briot, read this thread: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ighlight=briot

Back to Santinelli - If you get another 7070 or 9000 from VSI, they will support you FOREVER. It doesn't matter if Santinelli still makes the parts or not, if you need a part they will either get it for you or make it for you. For what you are doing, I agree with the 9000sx suggestion. Personally, I'd wait a few months since the ME-1200 is coming out and the prices for the ME-1000 will probably drop. I know you said you outsource your drill jobs, but the ME-1000 really does make it almost idiot proof to do them yourself (and save yourself the money).

If, for whatever reason, you are interested in a dry cut edger (No pumps or water changes, but there is the vacuum thing. I hate them myself, but it's a personal prejudice), I would look at the 6E and 7E models from National Optronics.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    One important consideration if you were thinking that you might want to purchase new equipment sometime in the next few years: the tax bill signed today has a feature that should be really stimulative, if people learn about it. You can expense your purchase of capital equipment if you buy now (actually going back to September) through at least the end of 2011. I don't know the details yet, but this looks like a significant opportunity.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Interesting. Yes I'm sorry P.EYES all the research about briot seems too much like gerber edgers. TOO much keep up.

(what do you guys think about this deal? I need a new hand edger too. )
    At 20000 I include the manual blocker, make it 20250, ill include the hand edger, that would be the LE1000L(no sfb nor groove in the chamber), CE9 manual blocker with blocks and deblocker, tank and pumps, shipping, 1 year warranty, installation and training, and handedger for 20000
    I can get new ones to you quickly(3 days), it takes me 7-10 days if you* buy a refurbed
    Refurbed LE9000sx(does sfb and groove in chamber), and blocker with blocks and deblocker, tank and pump, handedger, shipping, 1 year warranty, installation and training would be a total of 19645

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Let me know if you find out more
    Info. On the tax privilege

Thread Information