Thread: Interesting conversation this morning

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Interesting conversation this morning

One of my customers calls up all in a tizzy, she'd just visited her ECP for a pair of glasses and the ECP refused her request, and would I call and talk to him? Sure, says I.

Her Rx:

+2.25 -0.75 x 93
    +2.75 -0.50 x 90
    Progressive add +2.25

Call the ECP. Seems customer told ECP that she wears a +2.00 reader over her existing glasses so she can focus up close on her jewelry making (silver/goldsmith) she's smithing. ECP freaked out, said couldn't get a +4.25 and she (customer) shouldn't be wearing readers over her existing eyewear to focus close up. ECP was pretty hot under the collar with me.

I explained that I was calling on behalf of the customer to explain how the process of smithing works and why she needs to be able to focus up close. Silence from the ECP. I went on to explain that since the customer only deals with near vision, why not prescribe this Rx:

R: +4.50 -0.75 x 93
    L: +5.00 -0.50 x 90
    Add +2.00

with distance PD on the Rx set to her 18" working and near PD set to 6" working.

"Oh" says the ECP, hadn't thought of that.

I tell ECP that the customer is going to need a filter for the flare, you guys figure out what you are going to do and let me know.

ECP called me back about an hour later, they are going with a full rim frame and conventional flat top, and would I be able to supply xxxxxyyyzz clip on with the required filter? Sure, says I.

My moral to the story? Patients need to be upfront with ECP's about what they do, not only for recreation (reading, knitting, etc.) but also any hobbies and then take the time to explain their vision requirements.

Granted this doesn't happen every day (for which my phone bill thanks me), but it does indicate a definate lack of communication somewhere...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good on you for bridging the gap.

I do have to wonder why the ECP wasn't curious as to WHY the pt wanted what she needed. Whenever I get a request that sounds unconventional I always want to know the reasoning behind it all. I've been known to call our labs and ask what they would do in certain situations before I place an order or consider taking on a project. I think sometimes things make perfect sense to one person only to completely baffle the other. Communication, it's grrrrrreat! ;)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wasn't aware that it was the prescribing ECP to "Rx" any special occupational product.....I thought that the auspices of creating any device was a relationship between the consumer and the professional dispensing optician! I believe that the "lack of communication somewhere" is quite apparent, Mike!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Good on you for bridging the gap.

I do have to wonder why the ECP wasn't curious as to WHY the pt wanted what she needed. Whenever I get a request that sounds unconventional I always want to know the reasoning behind it all. I've been known to call our labs and ask what they would do in certain situations before I place an order or consider taking on a project. I think sometimes things make perfect sense to one person only to completely baffle the other. Communication, it's grrrrrreat! ;)
    Thanks! I do this maybe a couple of times a month, and it is usually an ECP who has no idea what's going on, and the patient is usually incapable of describing it. As a lens guy/lab rat & a glassworker myself, I usually find it easier to put it in terms the ECP can understand. There is also a certain amount of fear on the part of the patient to tell the ECP EVERYTHING they do, I know a couple of people who make "toys" (ask me privately ;) ) and "smoking apparatus" who won't tell their ECP's what they do for fear of prosecution.

In this case, I think the ECP was so wound up about the readers that he stopped thinking out of the box...

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I wasn't aware that it was the prescribing ECP to "Rx" any special occupational product.....I thought that the auspices of creating any device was a relationship between the consumer and the professional dispensing optician! I believe that the "lack of communication somewhere" is quite apparent, Mike!
    I don't disagree, but there are ECP's who refuse to dispense or "Rx" (in your special quoted terms) any lens product made of glass. What then?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Thanks! I do this maybe a couple of times a month, and it is usually an ECP who has no idea what's going on, and the patient is usually incapable of describing it. As a lens guy/lab rat & a glassworker myself, I usually find it easier to put it in terms the ECP can understand. There is also a certain amount of fear on the part of the patient to tell the ECP EVERYTHING they do, I know a couple of people who make "toys" (ask me privately ;) ) and "smoking apparatus" who won't tell their ECP's what they do for fear of prosecution.

In this case, I think the ECP was so wound up about the readers that he stopped thinking out of the box...
    Yeah you might have to PM me on that one! I'm intrigued!

I started in the lab when I first came to the Optical business and some of the people I trained with amazed me with their skill and problem-solving abilities. I think having knowledge from both perspectives helps any Optician service their patient more efficiently.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Oh WOW man! You do lenses for Tommy Chong?? Far out, man!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...there are ECP's who refuse to dispense or "Rx" any lens product made of glass.
    WHAT??!! Pardner, Glass is agin the LAW!

Gunslinger Barrs

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Glass?? I'm agin it!
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I know a couple of people who make "toys" (ask me privately ;) ) and "smoking apparatus" who won't tell their ECP's what they do for fear of prosecution.
    Gotta love Minnie - I think you can get busted for possession of Zig Zags, right?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Machine View Post
    Gotta love Minnie - I think you can get busted for possession of Zig Zags, right?
    What I don't understand is that if you can get busted for them, why do gas stations sell the packages? At least in Nebraska they sell them behind the counter.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Up here in MN, you can possess all the paraphenalia you want, but it better be CLEAN!! Any residue and you are looking at some serious time in jail and huge fines.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Since we're wandering completely off topic, here's what we've got in Rochester: http://www.lookahhookah.com/pcms/;js...?f=d&name=home

and

http://www.westsidesmokeshop.com/testimonials.html
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_Leigh27 View Post
    What I don't understand is that if you can get busted for them, why do gas stations sell the packages? At least in Nebraska they sell them behind the counter.
    It was intended as a joke. My beloved home state is pretty conservative to say the least - one of the things I miss most about it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    She might try a microscopt from Craft Optics which is distributed Modern
    http://opticalvisionresources.com/je...for-close-work

Thread Information