Thread: Queen Mum Dead..

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Crier Queen Mum Dead..

Its with great regret i have to report that the Great Queen Mother Has passed away in her sleep today 30-3-2002 @ 3.15 pm
    She was 101..

God save the Queen..

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I'm sorry to hear that John! :( Living to the age of 101 is amazing though.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation

Thumbs up

Yes she was a tough old stick and one of the few royles who will be missed...
    Now we have to suffer an evening of programs about her life...

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    John R said:

Now we have to suffer an evening of programs about her life...
    Your not the only ones.

She was the oldest person to have a hip replacement.

May she rest in peace

Bad address email on file 10 Pence Short's Avatar
    Without wishing to sound heartless the reason I am Optiboarding at the moment is to escape the typical over-the-top coverage that has besieged our TV screens for the last (and next) few hours.

Personally speaking I do not care whether or not we have a Royal Family, and I see no reason to mourn the Queen Mother more than any other individual who might pass away on any given day.

Obviously I am sorry for her family, and would want to wish my condolence, but that is as far as it goes. There are many more worthy individuals who have passed unnoticed through this life without recognition, without needing to over praise the privilaged few.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    There are many more worthy individuals who have passed unnoticed through this life without recognition, without needing to over praise the privilaged few.
    10 Pence,
    I gather what you mean and agree in principle. For example, it was rather deplorable when the coverage of the passing of Princess Di overshadowed that of Mother Theresa.

Being an American and you a Brit, I obviously have no room for opinion, but it seems to me that the passing of a woman who Hitler called "the most dangerous woman in Europe" (after his blitz failed to shake her) is worth some notice after all.

It is hard for me to understand how you tolerate the concept of "Royals," but the Queen Mum always seemed to be at least one royal who could be correctly described as such- royal (i.e., noble). For what its worth, my sympathies to everyone who held her dear, and my hope that what is left of the "Royal Family" finds guidance now that their rudder has departed!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    No offence intended but dont you think having 3 channels showing the exact same thing and 2 others doing there own coverage a bit too much?

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All I know of the Queen Mum is that I always saw her in pictures smiling. You never could say that for the rest of the lot. To live to 101 years is a substantial achievement.

I had a dear Aunt Minnie who lived to 102 years old. She kind of put me in mind of the queen mother. She was certainly not royal, but she was certainly treated like a queen. She always found a way to buy all the things she liked and never married.

I remember her words to me in my teens....

"If you want to live a long, happy life-stay single! If you want a noose around your neck-marry!" (She was 96 at the time.)
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    No offence intended but dont you think having 3 channels showing the exact same thing and 2 others doing there own coverage a bit too much?
    Well now THERE you have me! I must admit it is somewhat grievous when something of "import" happens (e.g., the WTC bombing, OJ Simpson's 35 mph car chase, etc.) and all the news agencies drop everything else to cover the event! At times like those, all I can think is "thank God for 259 channels on my digital cable!"

It is informative to note the reactions of Brits to this event, however. As many of you suggest, perhaps the royals are more revered "over here" than in your own kingdom. I'm just glad she was able to slip away in her sleep (a death befitting a life well-lived) instead of in some stupid car accident or the like.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I would respectfully disagree with....

I would respectfully disagree with those of you who think too much is being made of this gallant woman.There was a time in the early 40's when she stood as a shining example of devotion and duty to a nation battered and on the verge of toppling.This woman chose to stick it out with her husband and family in London when she easily could have gone away to safety.When her home was bombed in 1941 she said that now she would have no difficulty looking an "Eastender" in the eye.I hope those of you who are able, take advantage of this opportunity to learn more about her.She was a remarkable woman with courage and considerable dignity.

I am saddened, but celebrate her remarkable life.
    Best from Harry J
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

end of an era

I'm with Harry and John R. Lots of history and with all due respect, royalty and past leadership has passed on.

Occupation

Re: I would respectfully disagree with....

hcjilson said:
    she said that now she would have no difficulty looking an "Eastender" in the eye.I am saddened, but celebrate her remarkable life.
    Best from Harry J
    Hj, You just passed your apprentiship.
    Welcome to Britland brother Hj :bbg:

Ian you have a valid point we had 2 channels showing virtually the same, when they finnished after about 2 hours 3 hours for the bbc... it just swoped to the other chanells who did not show it eariler... Having said that we went a got a vid "AI" wish i hadn't bothered now....

Occupation
    It is with an innocent demeanour I say that 3 consequtive channells showing the exact same thing a bit too much, after all the channells serve countries other than Britain.

the Queen Mother was the humane light of the royal family compared to the drug takers of today. She represented true courage.

But I shall not be shaken, put a hat on my head and call me biased. The Monarchy has no place in my heart, herself and Diana who have truly done good for the people of the world and I respect them.

Long live democracy, long live freedom

May she rest in peace

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

My Homage

The Demise of the Queen was inevitable like yours and mine.
    She was the person who ruled an Empire where The Sun Never set. India was probabaly one of the most important Extention of her Empire.
    More than anything else, my generation, born after British rule was over, in India knows her as the one responsible providing bread and butter to 007, James Bond.

May her soul rest in Eternal Peace.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You just know most of the programmes they are showing now were made about 15 tears ago, when she first started looking a little unsteady on her feet.....

Have you noticed the way Royals always die on Bank Holidays? You spend months looking forward to good Bank Holiday TV, then some Royal kicks the bucket, so we have to look at footage of people called Sandra and Pauline signing the inevitable book of condolence and laying flowers. At least they still showed Days Of Thunder last night.

I agree, Maria.

What about those middle class twonks they inteview at Windsor palace, taking their 'upset' children, Tarquin and Isobel to sign the book of condolences. The only reason these kids are upset is because they've been taken away from their Game Boys to some dingy moss pit to look sad for the BBC while signing a book which has about as much importance as er, Luxembergs football team.

No disrespect to the newly deceased QM, but who are they trying to kid when I see an advert on ITV for the Daily Mail promising me an oh so important 'royal flower' freeby, just to help me remember her. Now THAT is disrespect.

Days Of Thunder? You have got to be a BIG Tom Cruise fan to put up with that.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    No disrespect to the newly deceased QM, but who are they trying to kid when I see an advert on ITV for the Daily Mail promising me an oh so important 'royal flower' freeby, just to help me remember her. Now THAT is disrespect.
    Hmmm, now you have an idea of what they've turned "9-11" into over here! Makes you just want to puke, doesn't it? There's even car companies with sales on to "Keep America Rolling" during these "times of crises." For the love of God!

Days Of Thunder? You have got to be a BIG Tom Cruise fan to put up with that.
    I know you aren't religious and all, but AMEN to that! I'm amazed they show a NASCAR film in Britain, anyway... Even worse, its one with the ex-wife in it as well (I mean, she's easy on the eyes, but how many movies can two people star in together?).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Being a MASSIVE motor racing fan, the NASCAR I can put up with, but acting more wooden than a dining table and THAT couple a good film do not make.

To be honest I'm sure I have no concept of how over hyped 9-11 must have become in the US, but going by the inflated over reaction we get every time someone 'famous' picks their nose over here I know it must be getting tiring.

If it's any consolation marketing execs that use disasters such as that for commercial gain rarely have the last laugh. A good example of this would be a press advisor to our Labour Government called Jo Moore. On the day of 9-11 she sent an email to her superiors suggesting it would be a good day to "bury bad news" (ie. the Government could announce potentially unpopular policies on that day, avoiding the publics already diverted attention).

She managed to cling on to her job, much to the disgust of the general public's opinion, until she recently did something similar and got chucked out (taking her direct superior with her).

It shames me that people are willing to firstly think so heartlessly, and secondly to try and deceive the very electorate that put the **** ing Labour party there in the first place.

***END OF RANT***

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    It shames me that people are willing to firstly think so heartlessly, and secondly to try and deceive the very electorate that put the **** ing Labour party there in the first place.
    Wow! Someone on OptiBoard who seems about as passionate over politics as I am... Don't know if the Labour Party is the same as our Democrat Party (i.e., Liberals), but you are right- it is a shame when people take disasters or death and try to cash in on it- monetarily or politically.

Unfortunately, 9-11 has gotten so bad that I almost can't stand the sound of my nation's anthem. I understand people have to "cope" and all, but geesh- give it a rest!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Thumbs down

We now have untill next tues (Please make this a bank holiday) till they stick her under, today the BBC even coverd the removal of her body from windsor to london.... Peeps even lined the streets to see it Just makes you wonder how many more times we are going to see her life played out on tv...

Pete,

Don't even get me started on politics. 'President' (Chairman?) Blair does my nut in.

In the US you have created the Stealth Bomber, a high tech device designed to destroy nations without being caught. In the UK we have Stealth Taxes, which tax anything that moves (but SSHHHH, don't tell anyone) and are designed to destroy our own nation the way things are going.

In the US if you're ill you rely on a doctor to help you survive. In the UK if you're a politician in a fix you rely on a SPIN doctor to keep your career alive.

Anyway, tis celebrety snuff-it season, just wondering which apple of the public's eyes is going to that charity ball in the sky next? Liza Minelli always looks like she's being kept alive by a combination of celebrety-in-need stength narcotics and 1240v AC recharges. Wonder what odds I'll get...

Thread Information