Thread: minimum space for refraction

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

minimum space for refraction

I am wondering what is a minimum space for refraction in your country? What kind of regulation you have? In Serbia, from where I am, there yet no such regulation at all. But, now administration want to do that, and our association of optometrist want to deliver to them our numbers of m2 and other details like level of illumination of chart for distance vision, level of illumination of room where optometrist perform refraction. If you have some of this data, or whole regulation (pdf, doc..), it will be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nobody? Common, you can better!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by sevalav View Post
    Nobody? Common, you can better!
    3m with mirrors is a good length for the exam room. I have more data at home about the illumination that I can research and get to you later tonight or tommorow. You want the room dimly witht he chart illuminated to 30 to 50 foot candles which is a good illumination for reading, that's off the top of my head so I may have mroe concrete number and reasons why at home in books I will get back to you.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think current standards in distance, illumination, optotypes and overall refraction "etiquette" are way, way overdue for a comprehensive review. I, for one, significantly disagree with the *only* specifying low levels of illumination (i.e., larger pupil sizes). I see the endpoints given to me for 55+ individuals with the start of nuclear cataracts ("oh, nothing to worry about here", said the doctor) as completely non-representative of the smaller pupil sizes they actually see through their eyewear with. Result: rx redos, especially with progressives.

20 feet is already biased against best driving VA. A folded exam room at 10 feet has been shown in studies to further stimulate some accomodation in selexted individuals. 3m plus -0.25D rx adjustment has been proposed, but i never see it in practice, nor have i seen any studies that confirm its efficacy for better DV endpoints.

I look forward with anticipation to the new Zeiss I.Scriptor for a better averaging/weighting of total eye error across a sampling of pupil sizes.

FWIW

Barry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sevalav View Post
    I am wondering what is a minimum space for refraction in your country? What kind of regulation you have? In Serbia, from where I am, there yet no such regulation at all. But, now administration want to do that, and our association of optometrist want to deliver to them our numbers of m2 and other details like level of illumination of chart for distance vision, level of illumination of room where optometrist perform refraction. If you have some of this data, or whole regulation (pdf, doc..), it will be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance
    Borysko, is this you?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    External examination of the eye = 100 foot candles at the examining chair measured in the plane parallel to and 1m from the floor.
    Observations of pupillary reflexes, ophthalmoscopy, slit-lamp examinations, retinoscopy, keratometry = 5-10 foot candles measured in the plane parallel to and 1m above the floor.
    Distance test charts = at least 12-20 foot candles assuming a 0.8 reflecting factor.
    Near point cards = Same as distance charts.
    Binocular crossed cylinders = 1-2 foot candles
    Addition measurements using the crossed cylinder grid target = 1 foot candle
    Tangent screen = 7 foot candles
    Color vision test = Macbeth or daylight lamp at 80 foot candles

-Grosvenor, T. Primary Care Optometry. 4th ed. Butterworth-Heinemann. Boston, MA. 2002.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for your answers but nobody tell me what regulation you have in your country about this theme! I asked my teacher (who is from Great Britain) and he told me that there (GB) regulation not mention what distance you must have to perform refraction. What is a purpose of this theme is to avoid, here in Serbia, some bad solution in our regulation...so, that is a reason why I wont to hear what kind of regulation you have in your country, and is your regulation tells you what minimum space you must have if you want to practicing refraction. Is this 15 m2, 25 m2, or more, or your regulation not defined this?
    Last edited by sevalav; 12-31-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Borysko, is this you?
    No, I am not Borysko.

Thread Information