pls help for this stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pls help for this stupid question

Hi everyone, I am a student only, have a very stupid question to ask (for most of you)

ther is a RX and want to make it a reading glasses only RX, I know the formula is (ADD + SPH), but what abt the follow case, what is the final RX for this case?pls help

OD
    -2.25-0.50x050
    OS
    -2.25-1.00x090
    ADD
    +1.00 OU

when i do the calculation, it coome out a minus RX for a reading only RX

yes it does come out a minus Rx. Don't doubt yourself.

Comment

That is correct, since there isn't much of an add power. If there was more of an add power then it would be plus for the reading power. There is more distance power than reading power.

Comment

My guess for readers is

-1.75 +.50 x 140
        -2.25 +1.00 x 180

Comment

Originally posted by gordmac View Post
          My guess for readers is

-1.75 +.50 x 140
          -2.25 +1.00 x 180
          Why transpose?

Comment

Just thought I would throw that in for the fun of it.

Comment

You are kidding! Right! Come on, it basic algebra!

Comment

Yes, this person needs a minus correction for reading. This is why nearsighted people can read without glasses. In fact, the person with this correction probably can just remove his/her glasses for reading rather then having a special reading pair.

Comment

thank you very much for helping me out, you guys are so kind, anyway merry xmas to all of you

Comment

Originally posted by modeho View Post
                    Hi everyone, I am a student only, have a very stupid question to ask (for most of you)

ther is a RX and want to make it a reading glasses only RX, I know the formula is (ADD + SPH), but what abt the follow case, what is the final RX for this case?pls help

OD
                    -2.25-0.50x050
                    OS
                    -2.25-1.00x090
                    ADD
                    +1.00 OU

when i do the calculation, it coome out a minus RX for a reading only RX
                    Don't ever feel foolish for posting a question on OB. There are so many extreemly smart people here, any they were ALL once students, young apprentices and just starting out. And I've got news for you, even the super smart have days when they do stupid stuff. I'm notorious for screwing up my stock orders for single vision because I forget to transpose (I work in an MD practice). Good luck in school, and keep learning!!

Comment

Originally posted by modeho View Post
                      thank you very much for helping me out, you guys are so kind, anyway merry xmas to all of you
                      You got them in the Holiday mood. They are not always so kind, but do not let them scare you.
                      That was a good question by the way!!

Craig

Comment

Some of us older ones here have forgotten that we asked the same questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Happylady View Post
                          Yes, this person needs a minus correction for reading. This is why nearsighted people can read without glasses. In fact, the person with this correction probably can just remove his/her glasses for reading rather then having a special reading pair.

With this particular Rx, the patient would have less eye strain by using their reading Rx rather than simply removing their glasses. They would need to hold the reading material too close, and in addition the uncorrected cylinder could cause strain, including headaches. The problem with even recommending removal of glasses for reading, particularly as an emerging presbyope, the patient would tend to want higher and higher adds down the road as well.

Modeho, minus Rx for reading is indicated for this Rx.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Diane
                          Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by Diane View Post
                            With this particular Rx, the patient would have less eye strain by using their reading Rx rather than simply removing their glasses. They would need to hold the reading material too close, and in addition the uncorrected cylinder could cause strain, including headaches. The problem with even recommending removal of glasses for reading, particularly as an emerging presbyope, the patient would tend to want higher and higher adds down the road as well.
                            Maybe or maybe not. True, that might have to hold material closer but it shouldn't be too close for reading. That small amount of astigmatism correction probably wouldn't bother a person but it could. The best way to find out is for the person to just try reading without any correction and see.

And rather then getting reading glasses I suggest progressives. They will be easy to get used to with a +1.00 add and will allow the person to see all distances with one pair of glasses. She can still remove the glasses for close work if she wants but she won't need to.

Comment

Working...
                            X