Thread: VSP and magnetic sunclips

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

VSP and magnetic sunclips

So now we are finally feeling the effects of the stupid VSP / Aspex lawsuits and our patients pretty much don't want to pay 80% for Aspex frames. So, they ask if we have any other magnetic frames they can choose from? Well we have a few Flexon's with clips and we just got Altair's new release of Ultraclip frames.... but nothing there is really exciting or has much to choose from. Also we are not crazy about the magnets on Altair and Marchons new frames.
    We dont really care for Revolution as a whole and although we are going to look at Viva's Magic Clips again, there is not much hope there for exciting or different...

So does anyone have any other suggestions for nice magnetic sunclip lines???

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Could use Eyenovate, custom made for almost any frame. Ask Johns about them.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our rep gave me some vouchers. It says "How to claim your frame allowance from VSP for your Aspex frame"
    1st: The PATIENT has to call VSP from the office and state that you have purchased an Aspex frame.
    2nd: They have to request their benefit and tell the VSP representative that they have selected and Aspex frame and they want their total reimbursement for the frame allowance.
    3rd: They have to provide information to the VSP agent who will ask the required information over the phone to complete the insurance form.
    4th: VSP will put the patient on hold and authorize this by calling the office (FROM WHERE THEY ARE SITTING AT).
    5th: VSP will reimburse the patient completely..per their plan..

*phew* Ok so ask your rep about that because this is what she gave me. Hope that helps. I personally haven't done this yet. I just cross my fingers and hope they don't ask for sun clips if they have VSP. It's a pain in the **** when I have to explain, in short, what the deal is.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had a few patients call VSP and request their allowance back from VSP. It works great! My patient's said it takes about a week to get the refund. In the long run, the patient saves more money. First they get the 20% off from the original order and the allowance amount too!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyegal30yrs View Post
    I have had a few patients call VSP and request their allowance back from VSP. It works great! My patient's said it takes about a week to get the refund. In the long run, the patient saves more money. First they get the 20% off from the original order and the allowance amount too!
    Question. So you give them 20% off the frame when they buy it AND let them get their allowance through VSP? They also get the 20% off AFTER their allowance too. Maybe I am incorrect but I don't think that's how it's supposed to go. I am pretty sure you either give them 20% off and be done with it or you have them do the reimbursement. Correct me if I am wrong and if I am, I apologize but that's how my rep explained it. That's kind of double dipping..isn't it? Giving them a discount above and beyond what the insurance also applies? Again, maybe I'm wrong..

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our rep was in sometime in October with handouts with that plan too, and we decided not to use it. It's double dipping, the language Aspex used was to have our patients "demand" their benefits, and it's a time-consuming PITA that makes us look like we have an issue of some sort with their insurance company.

We do 20% or choose another frame.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Our rep was in sometime in October with handouts with that plan too, and we decided not to use it. It's double dipping, the language Aspex used was to have our patients "demand" their benefits, and it's a time-consuming PITA that makes us look like we have an issue of some sort with their insurance company.

We do 20% or choose another frame.
    Java, I agree with you 100%. I honestly don't even give them the option of this "reimbursement". I tell them "VSP and Aspex are not getting along and so VSP isn't supporting Aspex frames so you get 20% off the frame". Our rep said the same thing about the patient having to "demand" their reimbursement and guess who will get a phone call when they don't get a check from VSP? Certainly not their insurance company!! If it was my choice, I'd get rid of sun clips...PERIOD.

I still don't understand how the patient makes more money though. If you're giving them 20% off and THEN having them submit that reimbursement..that's double dipping and is a no no.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Look at REM Eyewear.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From my understanding, VSP will reimburse the pt what they would of paid + the 20% from the optical shop as if they where in-network ONE time only. The next time they want to purchase Aspex clip ons using there benifits they will be reimbursed the out of network reimbursement.

I hate it when big business attitudes and problems trickles down to my dispensing table. I don't think they understand how this impacts the optician and patients, or maybe they just don't care.

Thread Information