Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altered Rx

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused Altered Rx

So this patient comes in with a Contact Lens Prescription, and wants to order contacts and he brings a copy of his prescription, which is a copy straight out of a copier. Its an Rx from Costco and the date looks a little weird and I know this patient has been here before and its the exact same prescription but his is a copy in a white piece of paper with a date typed over it with a later day. Anyways his prescription is for AV 2 -2.50 OU and I didnt have it so hes like ok give me AV Advance I told him that I could only give him whats on the RX and hes like "OMG why r u being difficult" im like ok let me call your Dr to check your prescription and he just snatches the RX out of my hand and leaves. So anyways his Rx is still in the back of my head and I call his OD to check his RX and the last time he had an actual eye exam was in 2004. He has been altering his Rx since then. I was :angry:, so what can be done with patients like this???? I wrote on his chart that we can only sell contacts to this patient with an original Rx and no copies. Is there anything else that can be done???

PS: sorry its so long :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What else would you like to have done? Maybe have Fezz and Johns beat him up? Get real.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Throw him out on the street maybe? This person is and is acting like a Theif.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @op:

Welcome to the forum!

I have sooooo many questions; How is it that this consumer has been able to pull this off? Where is the follow-up by a contact lens fitter/professional/qualified/registered????

Who allowed this to happen? When contact lenses are DISPENSED does the fitter actually routinely check the fit on a regular basis? Isn't acuity checked and confirmed? What is in the follow up record?

I guess this is the result of selling contacts instead of fitting them. I feel sorry for this consumer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a patient do that to me one time. His OD office told me to write on the RX the actual date it expired. I am sure your patient would have used white out and made another photocopy. I would not do business with this person any more.Unless his Dr's office actually faxed the RX to you.Even then I don't like liars very much. In this case a thief as well.

I would also look into having Fezz and Johns work him over.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You did all you could have done.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I remember hearing about the Fezz wood-shampoo special.

I can't say I feel for this consumer any more than I feel for the obese poisoning themselves at the mcdonalds feed trough. There will always be ignorant self abusers out there. Lard, liquor, crack, contacts... Yeah, I feel sorry for all of em.
    "OMG why are you being difficult?". Really? Because that's the law, non-compliant moron! What this consumer needs is a painful eye infection. That's about the ecp equivalent of a heart attack, dui or overdose that wakes up the overeaters, drunks, and addicts.
    Sorry if this seems cold hearted, but I'm just getting tired of cl wearers that give us a hard time for trying to look out for their health when they won't.
    I have to go find whoever peed in my cornflakes this morning now.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    I remember hearing about the Fezz wood-shampoo special.

I can't say I feel for this consumer any more than I feel for the obese poisoning themselves at the mcdonalds feed trough. There will always be ignorant self abusers out there. Lard, liquor, crack, contacts... Yeah, I feel sorry for all of em.
    "OMG why are you being difficult?". Really? Because that's the law, non-compliant moron! What this consumer needs is a painful eye infection. That's about the ecp equivalent of a heart attack, dui or overdose that wakes up the overeaters, drunks, and addicts.
    Sorry if this seems cold hearted, but I'm just getting tired of cl wearers that give us a hard time for trying to look out for their health when they won't.
    I have to go find whoever peed in my cornflakes this morning now.
    Too funny Wes. Yesterday I got plain old interrupted by a young woman, who walked up to me while I was talking to an older patient to ask me if we sell contacts just for looks. So I directed her to one of my coworkers, who later told me that she just wanted us to give her some free trials of fresh looks, cause she wanted to see if her eyes were still comfortable. Oh, and by the way, she was having surgery next week because she had two growths on her cornea.

I still insist that there must be some funky chemical that leaches out of contacts and over time affects one's brain. Contact lens wearers are all nuts.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't feel to bad,it could be worse! We have a patient who shows up every 6 months or so to have her contacts... peeled off. It's a teen, and mom tells her "you should really take care of your eyes better." and that's it, she won't forbit the stupid girl from wearing them. I think she buys them from the beauty stores that sell them, puts them in and then doesn't take them off... You just can't help some people, because they don't want to be helped. All you can do is say " I told you so" when the *hit hits the fan.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    Don't feel to bad,it could be worse! We have a patient who shows up every 6 months or so to have her contacts... peeled off. It's a teen, and mom tells her "you should really take care of your eyes better." and that's it, she won't forbit the stupid girl from wearing them. I think she buys them from the beauty stores that sell them, puts them in and then doesn't take them off... You just can't help some people, because they don't want to be helped. All you can do is say " I told you so" when the *hit hits the fan.
    Doesn't the saying go "you just can fix stupid?"

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would have told him he needs to go some place else to purchase contact lenses. I wouldn't want a liability like that in my office. Some people..I tell ya!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Technically it's a forged medical prescription. Call the police. When they laugh at you because it's for CL's not a narcotic, tell them that many of your CL patients are addicted to their lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post

I still insist that there must be some funky chemical that leaches out of contacts and over time affects one's brain. Contact lens wearers are all nuts.

I agree! They all seem to want to completely destroy their eyes, like its no big deal. They're all Vain Lunatics! :hammer: They NEVER seem to have a decent pair of glasses so when the DO get an infection their glasses are usually broken and then we have to hurry up and make 'em a pair because they can't see. Stupid on a stick, dipped in idiot, coated in moron.

Sheesh....Wes, maybe your person peed in my cornflakes too.....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    Technically it's a forged medical prescription. Call the police. When they laugh at you because it's for CL's not a narcotic, tell them that many of your CL patients are addicted to their lenses.
    I will agree with you. Contact lenses ARE a medical device for your eye. Optical related or not..as you said, it's a forged rx and that is illegal.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Isn't this considered fraud?? isn't it like someone who steals a Dr'a RX pad and forges a signature and Pain pill rx??, thats a felony, I'd call the Prescribing Dr. Back and see if he consideres it fraud against his good name as a Dr. and wants to persue charges. vme

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Doesn't the saying go "you just can fix stupid?"
    Stupid should hurt

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optixx View Post
    Stupid on a stick, dipped in idiot, coated in moron.
    Bwahahahaha, I'm stealing this!

I'm the sole Optician at my office and I don't often deal with the cl wearers unless the front desk is busy, thank God! Usually it is a parent begging me to sell their child just one more supply because the kid is out of lenses but the rx is expired. I always quietly ask, "So, does your child have a pair of back up glasses?" and I always get a huffy, defensive response, "It doesn't matter! My child is a competitive gymnast/ future NFL all-star/Stephen Hawkins-like prodigy..etc"

So, basically, their child is too special to follow laws and medical advice.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Bwahahahaha, I'm stealing this!

, "It doesn't matter! My child is a competitive gymnast/ future NFL all-star/Stephen Hawkins-like prodigy..etc"

So, basically, their child is too special to follow laws and medical advice.

Oh my gosh, you totally just made my day. This is so true. How about parents of bionic children who don't make them wear seatbelts or helmets?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh my gosh, you totally just made my day. This is so true. How about parents of bionic children who don't make them wear seatbelts or helmets?
    Oh oh. What about this 8 year old that keeps coming in with his dad and the dad complains that we sold him faulty frames, however, you can CLEARLY see the child is CHEWING on the temples and the FRAME itself. But of course..it isn't his son's fault!

P.S. The more I think about this, the more I think someone should turn that gentleman in somewhere. I don't know where and I don't know who you would tell about this person but altering a doctor's (of any profession) prescription is considered fraud. I had to deal with something similar to this at the office I used to work at. We turned him in for insurance fraud AND altering a doctor's prescription and he actually got hauled off to jail. Oops..oh well so sad!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with turning him in as well. It maybe hard to prove though unless you have a copy of the altered RX. Did you tell the patients Dr's office about it also? I know if we had a patient doing that e would be finding a new Dr's office.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    I agree with turning him in as well. It maybe hard to prove though unless you have a copy of the altered RX. Did you tell the patients Dr's office about it also? I know if we had a patient doing that e would be finding a new Dr's office.

Shoot, not only would I report him but I would also call the surrounding Optical offices and notify them of his fraudulent behavior. They may not care but at least you'd have given them a heads up!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    @op:

Welcome to the forum!

I have sooooo many questions; How is it that this consumer has been able to pull this off? Where is the follow-up by a contact lens fitter/professional/qualified/registered????

Who allowed this to happen? When contact lenses are DISPENSED does the fitter actually routinely check the fit on a regular basis? Isn't acuity checked and confirmed? What is in the follow up record?

I guess this is the result of selling contacts instead of fitting them. I feel sorry for this consumer.

The patient brought in a copy of his prescription from another optical but it was a copy. So we ourselves dont actually do the fittings only the dr, so we just sell them the CL's.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yeah I did call the patients Dr and they said that we were not the first optical that has called about him that hes done it before, so thats why I was asking what can be done so he doesnt go to another place. I cant call every single optical to warn them about this patient, and its sad the people are doing this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Shoot, not only would I report him but I would also call the surrounding Optical offices and notify them of his fraudulent behavior. They may not care but at least you'd have given them a heads up!
    Report him to who though? Would the police do anything? I think I would ask a pharmacist and ask them who they report it to. I did some looking and could only find things on prescription drug forgeries and that is a felony. I would not think it would be the same fro contacts only because they are not a controlled substance. IN a case like this I think a misdemeanor would be good. He could pay a nice fine our do community service.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Report him to who though?.
    I say Off with his head!!!!

Unfortunately, you can't report the opticals that knowingly sell him his contacts with an expired rx. That of course is the whole reason he's able to get away with it in the first place.

Thread Information