Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best lenses for golfing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner05 View Post
    Oh, and half of the time, I have patients coming to find me and buy the "golf wear" glasses that I set up for their friends. I have a lot of pts use the drivewear for that purpose. Probably moreso than anything else.
    "Golfwear" sunglasses! I'm all over that come this spring! Just have to work up the mailer. Thank you Gunner, you rock!
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    RX direct through Kaenon

their C12, c28, c50 lenses have worked out very well for many of our golfers here.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's amazing to read this thread and only see one response (EdgeOptical) that corresponds to the topic (best lens for golf) and truly what the professionals (PGA, LPGA) wear on a daily basis....Do your homework people before just dispensing another polarized or 8 base wrap that has simply won you over by it's marketing ploy...speak to your local head golf pro's at private clubs....look at the TV and see who and what people are wearing.

Oakley dominates this market simply by marketing default, but again don't be fooled. What material does Oakley use?...anyone?...AAAhhh was that Plutinite that I heard in the back ground?...again do your homework. Oakley's main material is simply poly...they can call and spin it whatever they want....interesting that it took them this long to release their product in digital surface Rx, but that is another conversation....Tour pro's and head professionals alike who wear Oakley are playing in A NON POLARIZED lens...Why? A= The pros are paid to play in Oakley....B= polarized poly is horrible for golf, huge distortion and depth perception issues.

So, where does that leave us?.... many of you are dispensing poly, polarized and non. CR-39, and even Trivex (NXT)....I beg you to research this again.

I agree with the post above by EdgeOptical.

Kaenon Polarized, makes a wonderful universal lens specific to the patients needs for both on and off the golf course. Their proprietary SR-91 polarized lens is amazing. It's worn by many of todays top tour players (non of them are paid to do so!) and sold in exclusive clubs across America. Kaenon's SR-91 is available in many different light transmission levels, and yes they do have a full Rx program direct....Many people do not know that they were the first sunglass company to launch a digital surfacing Rx program almost 4 years ago...

They are way ahead of the curve in lens technology and Rx availability.

I highly recommend Kaenon Polarized.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I work with Kaenon and we have been having great results with the sr 91 copper 12 lens . I use this lens also to run and bike with ..Copper enhances color . Free Style Progressive .
    Recommend polar for golf the myth about not reading greens is not true . Also study the sport you are selling to.Buy a golf ,fishing .bike and surf magazine and read up ..it helps to understand what markert you are selling to .

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rrlook View Post
    I work with Kaenon and we have been having great results with the sr 91 copper 12 lens . I use this lens also to run and bike with ..Copper enhances color . Free Style Progressive .
    Recommend polar for golf the myth about not reading greens is not true . Also study the sport you are selling to.Buy a golf ,fishing .bike and surf magazine and read up ..it helps to understand what markert you are selling to .

What I think makes Drivewear most attractive for Golf is the dual-chromic color tagged to density.

This idea of no polarize being a "myth" for golf is interesting, and not a subject agreeable to a general connsensus. Nike, Transitions (Calloway), Adidas and Bolle all recommended non-polarizing for Golf. But..I think I covered this debate best in the sidebar to my latest L&T article about Golf performance lenses.

http://www.2020mag.com/lt/story/27492/

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 04-11-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually I have found that Pro-golfers disdain polarized lenses. The rest of the ordinary duffers prefer polarized.
    I do remember when we were attempting to do some custom clip-ons in-house the manufacturer ( I don't remember thier name) had a brown to yellow to green top to bottom polarized they made especially for golfers.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Drivewear.
    ditto to the Drivewear, but take a UV 550 and add a Brown Gradient tint to it and an orange or yellow ball stands out like it's phorescent and a white ball is almost as bright. Saves a lot of time looking for the @$%ned ball !
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 04-12-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    What I think makes Drivewear most attractive for Golf is the dual-chromic color tagged to density.

This idea of no polarize being a "myth" for golf is interesting, and not a subject agreeable to a general connsensus. Nike, Transitions (Calloway), Adidas and Bolle all recommended non-polarizing for Golf. But..I think I covered this debate best in the sidebar to my latest L&T article about Golf performance lenses.

http://www.2020mag.com/lt/story/27492/

B

I just read the article and it was very well written. It is appropriate for my staff or a customer; nice job. One question:
    What is the polarized effectiveness of Drivewear or NXT vario polarized? I know they are not at 100% and wonder how that few % can help the golfers read the greens.

I am confident that for 90% of the golfing world that offering a polarized variable lens with a filtering mirror coating can provide a nice compromise in golf glasses. I showed Mr. Jack Nicklaus grey vario polarized with a purple mirror and he thought it was a brown lens. The mirror made the contrast pop and the lenses already filter alot of blue light. He is color blind and only wears brown polarized lenses.

I look forward to hearing comments and showing you the 8 base grey polarized tranitions dual-zone in pl with a +2.25 add in a Tag frame we offer as a golf sample.

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank, Craig. Most "reduced-efficiency" polarizing lenses that are positioned for sun use are about 75-85% efficiency. This really is sufficient for most sun use, except on water/snow. Oakley's version is called "OO" (double-oh) polaraized.

I look forward to visiting soon. Dates to follow via email.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 04-12-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My brother thinks that golf is life...I fit him with a drivewear lens in single vision...he says it is the best lens he has ever worn on the links.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    ...I showed Mr. Jack Nicklaus grey vario polarized with a purple mirror and he thought it was a brown lens... He is color blind and only wears...
    I'm no lawyer, but isn't this protected health information that your patient probably would care not to have spread all over the web by his dispenser? Seems in bad form at the least.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but isn't this protected health information that your patient probably would care not to have spread all over the web by his dispenser? Seems in bad form at the least.
    I am just glad I do not need your permission nor approval! What health information was mentioned? You are an atagonistic negative person and I wonder how being so insecure feels on a daily basis as to attack others for sport!

When you have something positive to say-if possible- The world will be waiting for that day!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1970 View Post
    My brother thinks that golf is life...
    That comes from repeated exposure to the sun for 4 hours at a shot.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Brian, I don't see anything wrong with it. I posted an email on the office facebook page from Mr. Ed Begley Jr. regarding how delighted he was with his Zeiss Gradal lenses with Purecoat! The HIPPA Police didn't scream.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig,

Uilleann makes a good point. You might want to edit out your client's name before the google bots pick it up, and maybe re-work your response to Uilleann.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    might want to edit out your client's name before the google bots pick it up, and maybe re-work your response to Uilleann.
    Fortunately, in this case anyway, Jack Nicklaus's color blindness is already public knowledge.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I am just glad I do not need your permission nor approval! What health information was mentioned? You are an atagonistic negative person and I wonder how being so insecure feels on a daily basis as to attack others for sport!

When you have something positive to say-if possible- The world will be waiting for that day!
    Well, if you're going to label, it's actually spelled: "antagonistic". And to be clear - no attack was made. However if I released personal health information of A-N-Y of my own patients, regardless of how inconsequential I might personally feel it was, I would not remain employed for long. Your response may have made you feel better, and your wild assumptions are your own to make however ridiculous they are in reality. But the fact remains that you - as a health care professional - have disclosed information on a public forum, that probably should not have been, regardless if you feel it is "public knowledge" or not.

At any rate, it certainly is in poor form for a publicly accessible and searchable forum. As health care providers, the responsibility falls to us to treat any health information discretely and respectfully. Doubly so here.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We aren't health care providers anymore, just salemen and technicians.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are only healthcare providers when we provide a product that, given a choice, no one really wants. Today, for us to move forward, advance and remain viable, we can no longer afford to avoid embracing sales, salesmanship, sales techniques, selling and trying to create a fundamental want for eyewear as fashion and lenses as useful, desireable technically-advanced products.
    IMHO

B

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Chip
    I am sure you may catch a little TV and watch golf when you have time . I see quite a few golfers wearing there glasses on there hats and they will put them on when walking between holes .
    Watch some Kaenon golfers such as Robert Allenby ,Brian Gay , Kevin Strellman ,Kevin Stadler and see what there wearing and its polarizerd and they will play with them on. Like I try and say to my accounts study the sport before you recommend and not the hype .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just dispensed a pair of drivewear single vision to a golfer and he was very happy. I've read in many magazines (optical, not golfers') that they recommend green lenses for golfers, but I've never understood why.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rrlook View Post
    Chip
    I am sure you may catch a little TV and watch golf when you have time . I see quite a few golfers wearing there glasses on there hats and they will put them on when walking between holes .
    Watch some Kaenon golfers such as Robert Allenby ,Brian Gay , Kevin Strellman ,Kevin Stadler and see what there wearing and its polarizerd and they will play with them on. Like I try and say to my accounts study the sport before you recommend and not the hype .
    Can't think of anything more boring than Golf on TV
    Golf always looked entirely too boring to play unless the stakes per hole made it interesting. Otherwise looks about as interesting as playing poker for match sticks.

Chip

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

Golf

Chip

I agree it can be boring to watch sports on TV . I watch to study what a person is wearing in eye wear. I try and catch a event for thirthy minutes every weekend if possible or espn ,fishing ,baseball ,volleyball when time allows etc . I do triathlons so I see and ask question what runnners and bikers like also ..Lot of budget sunwear ,but at least its protection
    It helps to study what your selling and relate to the consumer or account you may be selling to . I am still surprised when I go to possible account and the little they know about sports and eye wear .

The great articles (L/T ) being written this time of year on sun wear and the optician will still not pick up a magazine ( and NOT read it) and then they say I dont sell sun wear .

Rusty

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I started reading through this thread but got tired of the arguments and sale pitches. (Kaenon Polarized...really? It's that much better for a golfer than any other polarized lens???)

Regardless, has anyone dispensed the new SOLFx lenses? I just got my own pair of Seiko G15 SOLFx lenses and so far I'm very impressed. The one thing I never liked about traditional transitions lenses were they weren't dark enough on the course. These are. And since they aren't polarized I can see the grain of the greens better and differentiate between fairway and rough better.

Just my $.02

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm waiting to see the SOLFx motorcycle visors - THOSE look cool! :)

Thread Information