Thread: Ideas for a new look

OptiBoard Apprentice Eye glass lady's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ideas for a new look

I need ideas for a new look in my optical shop. It is very small. And I have to keep costs pretty low. Right now I kinda do the Veteran look as I work in a VA hospital.
    I need a new , somewhat larger shelf so as to show more sundre items and I need 2 new pts chairs with arms as well. I just need a different look, a different theme. I've had my little shop the same way pretty close to 5 years now. Its time for a change.
    Any ideas would be great !!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is the "Veteran look" I wonder? Small spaces (just like at home) are easily changed with just a little rearranging and acessorizing. If you have padded chairs then some new fabric and a staple gun dothe trick or find a few new ones at Pier One, Home Goods or Ikea. Decorative shelving can be found just about anywhere, even the Goodwill store can yield a treasure if you are good with refinishing or painting. There is probably a store or warehouse close enough to you that sells used retail displays. I found a glass shelved locking cabinet once for under 50 bucks. Add some color with potted plants, table runners, a new picture for the wall, etc. I have never tried a "theme" but I always try to find the one item (often framed art) that gives me an anchor piece to design around using the colors in the picture. Hope this helps.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A fresh coat of paint does wonders.

OptiBoard Apprentice Eye glass lady's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi cocoisland58,
    The 'Veteran look' is a pow picture that says, ' All gave some, some gave all'. I have two civil war statues of Grant and Lee on my shelf. A picture on my wall of a eagle, a bust of an eagle on my desk, a couple rockwell pictures . I made a picture collage of military , such as soldiers in Nam, airplaines, all branches if military, ww2 the Korean war.... etc.... The vets really seem to like it. And of course the posters from the lab, crizal, transition , frames and such. I found my shelf at a thrift store, but it wobbles. lol I need 2 new pt chairs, my are really too bulky. Need something more slimlined , but big enough...I have some pretty big vets that come in at times and they need more room then I have. lol... My lab manager wants us to think about a new look for our shops. I will be going back to the thrift stores again. Just wanted others input. I feel like I hit a wall on my ideas. Thanks for your ideas, I appreciate it . :))

Happylady, I can't paint my walls, its a VA hospital. I would if I could though. Thanks. :)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    LGB Train suspended from the ceiling......They make boxcars for each branch (ie Army, Navy, Marines, Airforce, & Coastguard)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye glass lady View Post
    The vets really seem to like it.
    Then I wouldn't change it too much. It's for them after all not for your lab manager.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with happylady, a fresh coat of pain does wonderful things. It's one of the least expensive ways to "freshen" your look. I have multiple colors in my shop, yellow, peach, and blue accents. Looks fun and not too bright. I'd post a pic, but I can't figure out how to..........I only have about a 600sf area so I know alot can be done in small areas.
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    These veterans have given enough. They don't need a fresh coat of pain. ;-)
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    These veterans have given enough. They don't need a fresh coat of pain. ;-)
    "Ouch!!"

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye glass lady View Post
    I need ideas for a new look in my optical shop. It is very small. And I have to keep costs pretty low. Right now I kinda do the Veteran look as I work in a VA hospital.
    I need a new , somewhat larger shelf so as to show more sundre items and I need 2 new pts chairs with arms as well. I just need a different look, a different theme. I've had my little shop the same way pretty close to 5 years now. Its time for a change.
    Any ideas would be great !!!
    Ikea has cheap shelving units, antiuqes are great - using your own personality is more important that spending huge amounts of money - for ideas, try looking on google images under "optician interior" or "optician interior design"

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Since you are in a unique location, why don't you ask the Veterans for some input. You could even have a small contest and the best suggestion gets a gift. You might be surprised what they like and don't like - could save you from spending money on something that won't make a difference.

Thread Information