Thread: Higher Base Curve

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Higher Base Curve

How are the success rates with lenses for use in 8 and 9 base wrap frame styles? I've heard of a couple different lenses and some drastically different rx ranges. I have not been successful in obtaining any sample's of rx'd styles or info pertaining to how narrow pd's will affect a finished product(especially those with a large A meas.)

I notice that Sola has a diff. lens with diff. specs for wraps on the Au site then the one in the US. Is there supposed to be intentional confusion arising here? How does this kind of a lens work anyway?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At the shop, we actually recievd some info about the lenses from Sola. It looked like a nice program. I had a pair of Enigma lenses that worked great; if Sola can make Enigma work then they can should be able to make lenses for wrap frames work. That is about all I have been able to dig up. I will try to find out what the line was called when I get to work and I will post it later tonight.

The Marchon Nike line also has a wrap Rx program that is just starting. Although, I haven't heard much about that yet.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Oakley Rx

We do quite a few Oakley Rx sunglasses, more so than the Plano ones. The majority of these are in the Minute and Twenty frames with 8 base lenses, no non-adapt returns yet. Oakley dishes out quite a bit of "propaganda" regarding their lenses on their site and in their literature, but it is supported by great product. I believe they still have a lawsuit with Nike regarding the similarity of the Nike Max lenses to the Oakley XYZ optics.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm glad that you were able to obtain Oakley propaganda. I have gone so far as emailing their site under the guise of a higly myopic person(which I am not) in order to find out the IOR of a plutonite lense. I stopped after 3 or 4 emails. I assumed that since Oakley was able to patent the "plutonite" lens it might have a higher index then other poly's.
    One of my emails went sort of like...Hi, i'm -8 od -6 os and was interested in the refractive index of a plutonite lens. I have been told that the best I can do at my local store is a 1.6. What is the IOR of plutonite? They glazed right over the question, so if anyone can tell me I still would like to know.
    If I understand correctly, a patented product has to show attributes that differ from other-like products. My Oakley Juliets have prism(however slight) in Plano so I know that the patent doesn't involve lens clarity.
    I've heard about that lawsuit as well. Nike Max lens technology apparently infringes on oakley patents because the optical clarity of the lens is as good or better. God forbid that another company could help people see better too.
    I don't really know where I'm going with this post. Maybe I'm just venting. edKENdance has never slagged Oakley before and this is the first time he is referring to himself in the third person.
    Of course it should be obvious that all of these patented technologies are invented solely to keep lawyers in business.:hammer:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    edKEN,
    If I remember the formula correctly (use there of), it is not improbable that even PLANO's, cut to those curves (8~9 base) would have "some" prism intentionally put in them. You didn't mention how much, but a guess would be about .125 base out/eye.

Worked on a project for the Navy some years back on BLEP (ballistic/laser eye protection) which was in regard to prescription - wrap around lenses, inserted into a flight helmet. Just behind the face plate. Not only does the PD (and relating prismatic effect) come into play, but the power/axis was modified as well.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Optiwizard, you are correct concerning the amount of Prism. Apparently the long-winded spell has ended.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Oakley PK

Our local Oakley rep had a large PK session last night, according to them Oakley has licensed "Plutonite" to the US Armed forces and to NASA for use in the cockpits of jet fighters and the space shuttle. I've linked an excerpt from Private Pilot aviation magazine comparing different plano sunglasses optics.

Private Pilot

P.S. I don't work for Oakley either, I am just a satisfied consumer, once I got past their return/exchange and minimum policies.[

Thread Information