Thread: Here's another "Which Edger" thread, need opinions.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Here's another "Which Edger" thread, need opinions.

So we've sifted through tons of info and I've seen a few of the other threads out there regarding what edger to get. However, I'd still like to get your opinions regarding what we're looking at to purchase as there is a rather sizable price difference between the two.

Option #1
    Santinelli's ME1200 PLB-8S

With the info that I can find, will be the best choice. Does the 8 base wrap frames, does the step bevels, and drills in chamber.

Option #2
    (someones) Mr. Blue
    I'm still not sure if this is a Gerber Coburn edger being marketed by Essilor, or an Essilor edger being sold by Gerber Coburn. Seems to be good, even managed to find a video of it in operation on youtube. Does the 8 base wraps, can drill, but not even the sales rep was able to tell me if it could do step bevel or not.

The Step bevel (T bevel I've heard it called as well) is pretty much the main thing we're going for. Our stock has become infested with these frames, so we need to be able to process them effectively in house.

Can anyone confirm weather mr blue does do the Step bevel (T bevel) or not? How's customer service for you on the edger you do own? Any goods or bads for either? Over all, if these were your options, which would you pick?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Anything not made by 'E'. Otherwise get the cutest one.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If I had the buck - Santinelli by a mile!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    I like the second option which is Mr. Blue. I just don't know does the Step bevel. But I heard from someone else that it does I just don't know how true is this.
    Last edited by josh21barnes; 11-24-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have used both and I like the Mr. blue .. it is an Essilor made machine and it distributed by a few places, National Optronics as well, you maybe able to price shop for the same edger :-) .. it does shelf bevel for wraps, something I use often, also has a nice set up for custom shapes... and the drill pivots on an angle which I really like for wrap drill frames ... I think of the two it was easier to start running by an operator .. I guess being an Essilor employee is a sin around here on this board now adays .. guess our opinions do not count...but in my lab I have finish equipment from Gerber, National Optronics, Santinelli and LOH

I prefer the Mr. Blue personally...

Jeff Trail

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Trail View Post
    I have used both and I like the Mr. blue .. it is an Essilor made machine and it distributed by a few places, National Optronics as well, you maybe able to price shop for the same edger :-) .. it does shelf bevel for wraps, something I use often, also has a nice set up for custom shapes... and the drill pivots on an angle which I really like for wrap drill frames ... I think of the two it was easier to start running by an operator .. I guess being an Essilor employee is a sin around here on this board now adays .. guess our opinions do not count...but in my lab I have finish equipment from Gerber, National Optronics, Santinelli and LOH

I prefer the Mr. Blue personally...

Jeff Trail
    Ouch, I sense some back story there, that I must of missed browsing the boards, but I do appreciate all the info I've gotten. However, I did just get an email from our rep who says that the Mr. Blue will not do the Step/Tbevel. So I think I might be confused in what I'm calling it. I'm talking about those strange frames that are popping up with out the normal "\/" channel for the lenses, but with a very determined square shape "|_|". Our rep says the only way Mr. Blue can do that is by leaving the bevel against the back of the lens. (Great for crazy mad scientist goggles) but not so much for everything else. Our office has gotten more and more of these frames over the last few years, and it doesn't show any sign of stopping.

I will have to get ahold of National Optronics, that is strange, but I can see how that works.

Our rep also mentioned that the Mr. Blue will last longer than the 1200. but if my memory serves me, they've both been around about the same amount of time(?)

Side note.... what is Essibox?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am selling my kappa CTD and seriously looking at a new mr blue. The rep showed me how it cut a square bevel. I was also considering the WECO Edge 650.
    Last edited by mike.elmes; 12-23-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Thread Information