Thread: Cars vs. Computers

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Cars vs. Computers

I don't know if these quotes are true but I found them amusing.

I think we can all relate to this! For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a computer expo, Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got
    1,000 miles to the gallon.

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:
    1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
    2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
    3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.
    4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
    5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive- but would run on only five percent of the roads.
    6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "General Protection Fault" warning light.
    7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.
    8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
    9. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
    10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Big Smile

I'm not sure about the response but I believe the Bill Gates quote is accurate. However, with what gas prices are doing (AGAIN ) and postage going up (AGAIN ) my computer is becoming more and more dear to me :D

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I actually think GM missed a key comparison...

Namely, if GM were operated like Microsoft, the only place you'd be able to buy a car from would be GM. That's because GM would have destroyed Ford, Chrysler, and the other manufacturers by threatening suppliers who sold parts to them, having tires created that only worked on GM cars, etc.

While I feel Microsoft was one of those monopolies whose existence was probably beneficial to the consumer (at least so far), comparing themselves to other industries as an example of efficiency is bordering on hypocrisy and ludicrosity (if that's a word)!

Besides, cars always have one advantage... a sleek, red, zippy computer is never going to solve a mid-life crisis!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's obvious that Bill...

Never had the joy of working on his own car or truck. There are so many things that one can do with a car that can't be done with a computer and therein lies the beauty of it all. Bill was and still is a geek (although a very rich geek) There comes a point in time where no matter how fast a computer gets you just don't really notice (or at least I don't) but in a car the faster you can make it go the better and you notice every mph which gives you bragging rights.

When was the last time you went up to one of your friends and said "Yeah, I had my computer dyno'd this weekend and I'm pushing 400 horses at the rear wheels at 4000 RPM."? You've never done that because it can't be done and you'd look pretty silly if you did. People would also know you were not a mechanic or a computer wiz and you would be deemed a geek. :) To brag about how fast your computer is is just pathetic as well as sad, very sad indeed. To brag about your car is another story. Chicks dig it, and others aspire to be you, the guy with the fast car. You feel somewhat God like when this happens too :)

Anyway, I have a feeling that other than buying them Bill has little idea about cars or the car industry in general. If the computer industry kept up with the automotive industry you'd have a computer you could drive to work and do 0 to 100 in 2.2 seconds without loss of traction and was setup for all kinds of after market mods., including traction bars, shock tower struts, monster low profile phattie tires with road racing tread, boost controlers, roll cages, ect. Then old Billy Boy would have braggin' rights :) You just can't pick up chicks in a fast computer or even a sporty one for that matter and nothing is more important than being able to pick up chicks :) (My wife might disagree though)

Anyway, for those that would argue that Bill has a hot wife let me remind you that it was his (chuckle) winning personality that landed him that young lady and it had nothing to do with a fast computer or his billions of dollars (snicker) Nope, it was only his wit and (chortle, seriously muffled luagh) intellect that attracted the voluptuous Mrs. to the Billster. Oh who am I kidding? I better stop because keeping a straight face is impossible at this time and it's hard to type through the tears :) But his money, I'm sure, had nothing to do with their wedded bliss. OH MAN!!! THAT'S SOME FUNNY SH**!!!

Personally I get more enjoyment out of driving my Olds Cutlass than I do sitting behind my computer plus I can't drive my computer to the golf course and there's no where to put my clubs.

Darris C.

Thread Information