Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Is anyone selling Transition Extra Active lenses?

  1. #1
    Optician Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere warm
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,939

    Is anyone selling Transition Extra Active lenses?

    I haven't sold any yet and I think it's because we don't have a sample of it. As soon as I mention that it has a slight tint inside people don't want it. I think if I could show them the inside tint a fair number of people wouldn't mind.

    So have you sold any? What is the feedback on it? Do you have a sample?

  2. #2
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    880
    I remember how big a flop the Extra Active lenses were in their first version, and it has made me very reluctant to bring them up as a choice.

  3. #3
    OptiWizard BMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Playalinda,Florida
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    316
    We have sold a few. The patients that have them seem to like them, my Dad being one of them. He likes tint all the time and was wearing his Drivewear lenses almost fulltime. It bugged me that he was driving at night with Drivewear so I made him some Xtra actives.

    As far as showing the patients you can get this cardboard wheel type display that compares the two types but I agree a sample is always better. To bad a large company like Transitions can't see fit to send out some samples or atleast some vendor coupons for a trial pair.

    I had the same issue with Drivewear lenses and the lorgnettes they provided. It was okay but not great. I did get a vendor coupon for those and put some planos in a frame that patients could actually see and try on and now I sell a few pair. I will probably do the same with Xtraactive but I'd prefer not to cover the cost to display their product better.

    This thought just came to me while typing. These lens companies should produce glasses somewhat like the 3D theaters use with there products in them for patients to try. Make them big enough to fit over exsisting glasses and ugly enough that we wouldn't see someone walking down the street wearing a sample product. The theaters have buckets of those stupid glasses. It couldn't be that big of an investment, probably cheaper and more environmentally freindly than all the print material they create. I know most of us throw all that crap away after we look at it for 2 minutes anyway.

    Transitions, Younger, Xcel, Essilor... Are you reading this? No charge for good advise. Your Welcome!
    Properly medicated for your protection.

  4. #4
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North America
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    266
    Good if someone needs them. They're one of the few products you don't offer to everyone, but you can tell when someone does and nothing else will work.

  5. #5
    Optician Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere warm
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I remember how big a flop the Extra Active lenses were in their first version, and it has made me very reluctant to bring them up as a choice.
    I went to a seminar about these lenses and was told these change much quicker back to clear and get clearer then the original ones did.

    I really need a sample to sell it.

  6. #6
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    United States
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I went to a seminar about these lenses and was told these change much quicker back to clear and get clearer then the original ones did.

    I really need a sample to sell it.
    Talk to your lab. They should be able to invest a few bucks to get them to you. If you are having a hard time, PM me and I'll share a contact at the lab I use. They will get it done.

  7. #7
    OptiBoard Apprentice KellyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Saskatoon
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    21
    We have been using the Xtra Active lenses for about 4 months now. We are finding that people are returning them because one lens gets darker than the other! I guess Trans is still trying to work outthe kinks. As far as samples, we also received the cardboard disc that compares regular trans and the Xtra active version under various light conditions. Ours came directly from our lab.

  8. #8
    Optician Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere warm
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyR View Post
    We have been using the Xtra Active lenses for about 4 months now. We are finding that people are returning them because one lens gets darker than the other! I guess Trans is still trying to work outthe kinks. As far as samples, we also received the cardboard disc that compares regular trans and the Xtra active version under various light conditions. Ours came directly from our lab.
    That's not good! Do different rxs change differently?

    I want a real lens, not that cardboard sample.

  9. #9
    OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    CT
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Posts
    826
    We are finding that people are returning them because one lens gets darker than the other!
    Because Trans XA reacts to visible light in addition to UV, differences in the amount of light on one lens can indeed make one darker. It is not related to the Rx, it could be related to a window on side of the wearer.
    RT

  10. #10
    Master OptiBoarder AngeHamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    1,042
    No, we have not sold any, and it's not for lack of trying. And it had been quite the odyssey of Essilor idiocy.

    When the lenses first came out, I was very eager to give them a shot. Essilor has been very good about getting lenses on my staff when new products have come out; we've gotten comp 1.67 Transitions, Anti-Fatigue, Xperio, and newer Varilux styles to try out for years. It's kind of a truism that you sell what you wear in this business.

    But for some reason, no amount of asking could pry a set of XtraActives out of their hands. I was told a voucher was forthcoing. When it didn't arrive, I called to inquire and got no answer. Then I got the snide response that "we NEVER just give away free lenses like that," which was patent nonsense as I was wearing a pair of lenses I'd gotten from a voucher that very day. Then we suddenly DID recieve a voucher--for poly only, which does my -9.00 eyes no good whatsoever. It also expired in only a month.

    The Essilor rep who's my buddy said, "Just use the voucher on a patient order, then order your own and we'll just work out the difference." Which would be a good plan except that I still hadn't been able to TRY THE LENS OUT, which made my recommendations to my patients theoretical in nature. No one wanted to buy a lens that I was PRETTY SURE would work well for them, rather than one where I had held the product in my hand and seen the benefit. Not to mention the fact that we didn't get the voucher until the beginning of October, which is about four months late for prime sunglass sales season. So the voucher sits in my lab, expired and unused.

    Pretty frustrating.

  11. #11
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter optilady1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    washington
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,804
    It's weird, because I don't believe they are available in flat tops, just PALs. I've had about 3 patients who really wanted them in flat tops, so i did either cr-39 or trivex, with a 10% tint on top of the trns, and they all seemed to work really well. I've never had the chance to sell the actual ones, because they've never been available in the lens style my patients want.
    annie

  12. #12
    Rochester Optical WFruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    1,175
    AngeHamm, why don't you order them from someone other than Essilor....

    Younger and X-Cel both have them available for SV, and there are several progressives, including both Shamir and Seiko Free Form available as well.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

  13. #13
    Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    934
    I just sold one today, to a pt who ordered some back in May. He has been really happy with its performance, and stuck with it again this time.

    It's good to know the product exists, for those patients few and far between. But having the residual tint indoors is exactly what most people don't want, so I don't expect so sell a lot of them. :shrug:
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

  14. #14
    Optician Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere warm
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post

    But having the residual tint indoors is exactly what most people don't want, so I don't expect so sell a lot of them.
    This is why I want an actual sample of the lens. I think a lot of people wouldn't mind the slight tint if they could hold it up and look through it and see that it isn't that dark and doesn't look bad. But I need a real sample for that. I think Transition is missing the boat in not offering that.

    I could use a poly voucher, I can wear poly with no problem.

  15. #15
    Master OptiBoarder AngeHamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    1,042

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    AngeHamm, why don't you order them from someone other than Essilor....

    Younger and X-Cel both have them available for SV, and there are several progressives, including both Shamir and Seiko Free Form available as well.
    I can GET the lenses, no problem. I just can't get a pair for FREE to try out and show my patients.

    And sorry; my voucher is now expired.

  16. #16
    Master OptiBoarder AngeHamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    This is why I want an actual sample of the lens. I think a lot of people wouldn't mind the slight tint if they could hold it up and look through it and see that it isn't that dark and doesn't look bad. But I need a real sample for that. I think Transition is missing the boat in not offering that.
    Yes, it's crazy that they don't have samples for these doled out like candy. I have Transitions and Crizal demos all over my store and I sell them like crazy (our office is about 45% photochromic and 80% A/R). For some reason, the Essilor brain trust thinks a paper rotator demo for XtraActive is sufficient.

  17. #17
    Rochester Optical WFruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I can GET the lenses, no problem. I just can't get a pair for FREE to try out and show my patients.

    And sorry; my voucher is now expired.
    I was just wondering why you don't get a voucher from your X-Cel/Younger reps for them? I think the same two reps that I have up here cover down to VA as well.

    I'm honestly surprised that labs aren't willing to give out a demo lens or two. We do it if requested for our accounts, although obviously we can't give more than 2 or so per office. And we, as a lab, will also do comp pairs for accounts. There's a limit of course, but generally speaking it's not a problem.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

  18. #18
    Master OptiBoarder AngeHamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    I was just wondering why you don't get a voucher from your X-Cel/Younger reps for them? I think the same two reps that I have up here cover down to VA as well.

    I'm honestly surprised that labs aren't willing to give out a demo lens or two. We do it if requested for our accounts, although obviously we can't give more than 2 or so per office. And we, as a lab, will also do comp pairs for accounts. There's a limit of course, but generally speaking it's not a problem.
    I've never worked with them. Ours is a long-established practice with a deep Essilor history (though we're reaching out to the local Zeiss lab for VSP orders on a trial basis).

    I am beyond surprised that they don't have an XtraActive demo lens like the Transitions demo lenses we use. Whoever convinced the higher-ups at Essilor that a card would suffice to sell XA lenses?

  19. #19
    Master OptiBoarder AngeHamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    1,042
    By the way, your "Dune" quote fills me with joy.

    --Andrew

  20. #20
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bridgeport, Tx
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    15
    We've been selling them since they came out. Male species love them! One of our Docs (male) loves his PAL of course! Have also sold a few SV, my son being one & he loves them also. The men that drive alot are the ones that really appreciate them. Haven't had any complaints yet!

  21. #21
    Rising Star Optixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    We have sold a few. The patients that have them seem to like them, my Dad being one of them. He likes tint all the time and was wearing his Drivewear lenses almost fulltime. It bugged me that he was driving at night with Drivewear so I made him some Xtra actives.

    As far as showing the patients you can get this cardboard wheel type display that compares the two types but I agree a sample is always better. To bad a large company like Transitions can't see fit to send out some samples or atleast some vendor coupons for a trial pair.

    I had the same issue with Drivewear lenses and the lorgnettes they provided. It was okay but not great. I did get a vendor coupon for those and put some planos in a frame that patients could actually see and try on and now I sell a few pair. I will probably do the same with Xtraactive but I'd prefer not to cover the cost to display their product better.

    This thought just came to me while typing. These lens companies should produce glasses somewhat like the 3D theaters use with there products in them for patients to try. Make them big enough to fit over exsisting glasses and ugly enough that we wouldn't see someone walking down the street wearing a sample product. The theaters have buckets of those stupid glasses. It couldn't be that big of an investment, probably cheaper and more environmentally freindly than all the print material they create. I know most of us throw all that crap away after we look at it for 2 minutes anyway.

    Transitions, Younger, Xcel, Essilor... Are you reading this? No charge for good advise. Your Welcome!
    I have a pair of the Transitions Extra Active, and Love them~! Gonna switch other lenses over to Extra Active as finances allow....Works great for in the office too....easier on my big blue eyes under these fluorescent lights! Every one of my patients that has tried it has been joyously happy! No returns!

    BTW, "I WEAR MY DRIVEWEAR AT NIGHT" (yep, all you '80's Cats!) Sometimes when my eyes are really tired it's just more soothing and provides me better clarity. I've even worn them at night driving through a snowstorm, felt like I could see better. Maybe it's that way for your Dad too...
    Optixx.....the brilliant light at the end of everyone else's tunnel....

  22. #22
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North America
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by Optixx View Post
    BTW, "I WEAR MY DRIVEWEAR AT NIGHT" (yep, all you '80's Cats!) Sometimes when my eyes are really tired it's just more soothing and provides me better clarity. I've even worn them at night driving through a snowstorm, felt like I could see better. Maybe it's that way for your Dad too...
    What roads do you drive on at night with your tinted lenses? I need to know so I can avoid them once the sun goes down.

    “Yellow ‘Night Driving’ lenses have been shown to provide no benefit in seeing ability at night. They are even hazardous, because they give the driver a feeling of seeing better, which no one has yet been able to explain. Studies have shown that they actually impair visual performance and retard glare recovery. Many promoters have made unfounded claims for the ability of amber to improve night vision. They have employed mass solicitation, usually by mail. The Federal Trade Commission has correctly ruled that such practices are illegal since the lenses do not perform as claimed.” – Forensic Aspects of Vision and Highway Safety”, Merrill J. Allen, O.D., Ph.D., Et al.


    It is an all too common misconception that yellow tinted or yellow polarized night driving glasses are beneficial for night time driving. The thought is that the yellow or amber color reduces glare and improves contrast. However, in reality, when driving at night or dusk in already limited lighting conditions, ANY tint further reduces the amount of light transmitted to the eye, and consequently, further impairs vision. The problem is compounded as the yellow tint gives the wearer the impression they are seeing better, when in fact the reverse is actually true.






    “So-called night driving glasses are generally amber tinted eyewear meant to reduce the glare of oncoming headlights. While they may make the driver feel more comfortable, they also reduce the wearers visibility of the darker portions of the roadway.” – Sunglass Association of America


    While yellow lenses can be effective for foggy or hazy daylight conditions, they are not effective against headlight glare and should not be worn at dusk or night. If glare from headlights is a problem, the first step should be a thorough eye examination, as this could be an early indication of cataracts or other medical conditions.



    The best option for night time driving is a pair of spectacles with clear lenses and an AR coating. The AR coating is beneficial in two ways. First, it minimizes internal reflections within the lenses, reducing halo problems, and second, it increases the transmittance of light through the lens to the eye. However, it is important to note, if a patient does not normally wear spectacles, AR coated lenses, or any other type of night driving glasses will not improve night vision, as AR coatings only minimize aberrations that are inherent in ophthalmic lenses and night driving glasses will simply serve to introduce those abberations to the wearer’s vision.
    Tips for optimal night time driving vision:
    - Make sure eyes are examined regularly
    - Always wear an up-to-date prescription
    - Lenses worn should be clear with an AR coating
    - Ensure lenses are clean
    - Ensure windshield is clean
    - Ensure headlights are clean and properly aligned

    Responsible dispensers of ophthalmic lenses should discourage the use of tinted, polarized, or shooter lenses in night time or dusk driving conditions and not participate in solicitation or marketing of so-called night driving glasses by irresponsible manufacturers.

  23. #23
    Rising Star Optixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    What roads do you drive on at night with your tinted lenses? I need to know so I can avoid them once the sun goes down.

    As stated by Dr. Allen in your post, no one can "as yet, explain" the pros or cons of yellow lenses. Plese understand, I'm not promoting this professionally, I was merely giving thought to the times when I have used those lenses at night (which did not, in any way, impair or endanger my driving abilities which you've clearly maligned out of an over-exaggerated concern for your own personal safety) and experienced a further reduction in glare and sharper contrast over my regular poly a/r lenses. If you Google on a little further, there are as many articles stating the "jury's still out" on whether or not this helps, hinders, or if the lenses need to be at least polarized rather than tinted to help as there are articles like yours condemning the lenses at all costs. We've been conducting an informal in-house review of patients that like/dislike their Drivewear....many of our hyperopes really dislike and sometimes return their Drivewear, while most of our myopes that have tried them would prefer to always have them. Maybe you can find an article explaining that.
    Optixx.....the brilliant light at the end of everyone else's tunnel....

  24. #24
    OptiBoardaholic jmchapman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida, United States
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    202
    I sell them, it's not a big hit, but Transitions supplied me with this wheel to show patients the difference in color from indoors to mid light to outdoors. And that seems to work.

  25. #25
    Rochester Optical WFruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I've never worked with them. Ours is a long-established practice with a deep Essilor history (though we're reaching out to the local Zeiss lab for VSP orders on a trial basis).
    That's a shame. I've got a comp pair of 1.67's coming in, 0.50 base curve.....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Extra-Active Phase out
    By Shutterbug in forum Smart Lens Technology by Transitions Optical
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 08:23 PM
  2. Are high-index aspheric 1.67 lenses worth the extra money?
    By dave191 in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 10:54 PM
  3. New transition lenses
    By OptiBiz in forum Smart Lens Technology by Transitions Optical
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2002, 07:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
FEA Industries, Younger Optics, Carl Zeiss Vision, Vision Systems, Inc. and Chemistrie Eyewear