Thread: Motorcycle Airbags

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Motorcycle Airbags

Don't ask me why I can't get this out of my head but ... why hasn't someone invented an airbag system for street motorcycles?

I wouldn't think it would be difficult. You would just need a switch that activates the bag when the bike leans at a certain angle while moving or activates on side impact. It wouldn't even have to be a giant bag, just something to create space between the bike, the riders leg, and the ground. If anything, it would at least reduce the road burn you get when you drop a bike.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You haven't spent much time on motorcycles have you? The very best thing you can do when a bike goes down or is about to colide with a solid object is get the hell off of it, NOW!

I've been in a few motorcycle wrecks in my time and I have one knee that is three colors but trust me you don't want to be with the bike when it goes down.

Once upon a time the NHRA decided that motorcycles were "Two wheeled dragsters". In thier infinite wisdom, they required seat belts. For some reason no one wanted to race for them anymore, it lasted a week.

I could go on about what the national safety counsel could do with the helmet law too, but I'll spare you that. I will admit that I curse Ralph Nader's name every time I sit on a seat belt.

Chip
    :cheers:

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Re: Motorcycle Airbags

Jo said:
    Don't ask me why I can't get this out of my head but ... why hasn't someone invented an airbag system for street motorcycles?
    They have... I saw it demonstrated quite a few years ago when i had a bike... No one seemed interested though, Like Chip said when the bike goes down you want to be as far away as possible not glued to it...Now how about a bond style ejector seat..

A far better idea would be a hammer in the center of the stearing wheel for when the car driver pulls out on a biker....

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip is correct in that I have never gotten on one of those things when they were moving but all of the guys in my life have. I burned my leg on the muffler just sitting on one, I was young and didn't know how hot it got, and that was enough. I do know enough to know how bad an idea seatbelts on bikes are.

I just know that some folks don't make it clear of the bike when it goes over. Perhaps they are inexperienced riders. Chip, so I guess the only thing an airbag would save would be the bike itself? That is unless we could sell Ralph Nader on riding suits containing airbags? ;)

You just broke another OptiBoarder image. I alway imagined you as Southern gentlemen who wore a suit most of the day. I would have never figured you for being into motorcycles.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Um Jo...?

The thing you have to think about is the airbag operation and what triggers it. That being "impact." A side air bag would be activated by side impact anf there is nothing between the rider and the object hitting it until "impact" has occurred. Meaning the rider would have to be hit first for that type of bag to be deployed. As to front or rear impact and airbag would be completely ineffective since (depnding on the speed of the bike or the object coming in contact with the bike) the rider will be launched from the bike rendering the airbag useless. In otherwords there is nothing to restrain the rider so that an airbag could be effective.

Chip is correct in that if a bike is going down you do not want to be with it when it does and you definitely don't want to come off and end up in front of it's direction of travel because it will eventually come to a stop and at that point you don't want it to stop on top of you ;) I've ridden for years and even if you are standing still, you lose your balance and the bike starts to fall over; if you can't hang on to it to keep it upright you better jump away in the direction of the falling bike or you risk leg injury.

It's not unlike the exterior car airbag. The biggest problem with it is the fact that inorder to deploy it you have to first make "impact" which is where the injury occurs. Plus an airbag on a bike would also be a detriment if it deployed but the driver could still maintain control of the bike. It would be difficult to maintain control of the bike if an airbag were deployed on a two wheeled vehicle.

Airbags for bikes may already be a reality but it truly is a rediculous idea. The helmet law has been repealed in Texas for anyone over the age of 18 but I wear a helmet when I ride. Keeps the bugs, dirt and rocks out of my face and I've been hit with a few of all the above before and it hurts. I've even had an orange winged hornet hit me in the face and he wasn't happy :) Not to mention it's too easy to put the helmet on and is such a small price to pay to reduce the risk of brain injury if you go down. Those that want ot go without? That's their business and their right, but in my opinion it's stupid and careless. Cyclist that ride without helmets around here are known as "organ donors" :)

Anyway, intresting subject but not practicle or feasible.

Take care,

Darris C.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave ouch

The air bag i saw was mounted on the tank and was for the "Sorry i didn't see you type of crash" you know when the car driver pulls out of a junction and you have only the bonnet to aim for to softern the landing... It did work quite well at stopping the rider from flying over the handlebars, but i think it had to many drawbacks to make it into production, cost being the major on i think...

Motor cycling with out a helmet is like "dodge ball" really only this time the ball (read flying death trap) also swerves into you...:shiner:
    I have a lot to thank my helmet for... I would have no hair on the back of my head after falling off and scrapping the deck for quite a distance, which took quite a few m/m of fiberglass out of it...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Perhaps I should explain.

My safety objections to helmets are: You can't hear with a helmet on, one of your biggest defenses with a bike is being able to scoot out of the way when you hear that 18 wheeler coming up behind you too fast. The statistics show that head injuries are no more common to bike riders than automobile riders and you don't make (emphasis: Make) them wear helmets.

Now as to the pure pleasure of feeling the wind blowing on your face and hair (what little I have left) somehow the helmet takes this away. I do admit that helmets with visors keep the bugs away and ear infections are less frequent. And last, us Southern Boys just don't like anyone (especially those in authority) telling us what to do, even if thier little liberal hearts tell them "It's for our own good."

Chip

Thread Information