Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it where I practice OR...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Is it where I practice OR...

is the general population of this country in poor health with minimal concern about taking care of themselves or their children, not very educated, and just "off"???

The reason I ask is that my wife is at wits end with the patients that she deals with on a daily basis. It's so bad that she wants to move to another state.

We have seen more glazed over looks when talking about eye health or overall health, we have parents who should.be jailed for child abuse for not patching their amblyopic children, patients on state assistance irate that they can't get contacts, patients stating that they can't pay for annual contact lens supplies...yet can afford to pay to smoke 2 packs a day... The list goes on and on...

Is this found nation wide???

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If she doesn't want to deal with that, she sure had better not move here!!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Just curious as to where in New York you are.

But, to answer the question, it depends on, well, where you are. Our lab also has four retail locations and the clientel varies greatly from location to location. Inner city is very different from affluent suburbs is different from middle class suburbs is different from middle class mega-shopping areas.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    is the general population of this country in poor health with minimal concern about taking care of themselves or their children, not very educated, and just "off"???
    Yes.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Yes

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

yup. We're all pretty much dumb. It's just that we all pick our own topics to be dumb about. I bet there's something these folks hold dear enough to take good care of. If I was to ask many of my own medicaid patients, many would show me their pristine Coach purses.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes.

I wouldn't say it's dumb, but rather ignorant. And it's a comfortable ignorance. I will refrain from making any political statements, but in general, the lower socio- economic population that I deal with does nothing more than wander from agency to agency, looking for someone to give them the next "something", whether it be prescripions, glasses, cell phones, car repairs (they get them too), rent, and even movie and play passes. They expect to pay for NOTHING, and when the issue of payment is brought up, they cry for a supervisor and say we are "talking down" to them, or are racist.

I used to get upset, but I am now genuinely sorry for the conditions that they allow themselves to be enslaved in.

I have 30 year old, able bodied customers, that will wait until the beginning of the month to pay a $10 co-pay for their glasses (it's a new hospital policy that I pushed...EVERYONE pays a co-pay as a service charge, to add value to the service), because that's when the gov't check arrives. They never even consider walking a block down the road, and getting a temp job for the day that would pay them $60. It never enters their mind. It's all they know, and it's the way their mothers and grandfathers (most have no fathers) raised them. Funny thing is, they think that they are fooling the system, when in fact, the system is making fools of them.

I don't even want to start talking about the lack of them having any desire to take care of their health. The hospital I work at has a huge container of free tooth brushes in the lobby (don't ask me why). When you walk by the bus stop, you see all the guys standing there, chewing on them like they are pacifiers. But really, there's no need to take care of their teeth, nor any other part of their bodies, as they all have free health care. When they don't feel good, they just go to the hospital for their free care.

I don't get free care. (Well, not usually) Last year, the hospital gave free flu shots to the employees, and the indignant people that stopped in. I'm not an employee, but a vendor. In the morning, they came around with a cart, giving out shots, and when I left my office to get one, the nurse informed me that I wasn't eligible because I wasn't an employee, and I had a job. "Fair enough" I said. So, I went back into my office, and made a sign (6"X6") that I attached to my ID card/lanyard that read, "Caution: I have NOT had a FLU shot!". Just before noon, a different nurse walked into my office and asked where they guy was that needed the flu shot. No Charge!:bbg:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=OHPNTZ;369109]is the general population of this country in poor health with minimal concern about taking care of themselves or their children, not very educated, and just "off"???

The reason I ask is that my wife is at wits end with the patients that she deals with on a daily basis. It's so bad that she wants to move to another state.

We have seen more glazed over looks when talking about eye health or overall health, we have parents who should.be jailed for child abuse for not patching their amblyopic children, patients on state assistance irate that they can't get contacts, patients stating that they can't pay for annual contact lens supplies...yet can afford to pay to smoke 2 packs a day... The list goes on and on...

I would say your wife is right. NY one of the highest taxed states is on it's way to
    next years budget deficit of about 3 bil. Then you have to pay all those retirees who like to work all that overtime the last three years before they retire and lo and behold your paying out out landished retirements. I know of a teacher in NY who retired with only a bachelors degree at 95% of her final pay when she retired. That is 75000.00 for sitting home and doing nothing. Her medical is all paid and you wonder why people come with glazed looks? Come on! Just take a look! Why was BethLehem steel sent to the dumps? High labor costs. My father worked there around 1970 and was awarded 13 week vacation for his years in the company. Now around 1975 Bethlehem was in bankruptcy and then soon out of business all because the union would not give an inch and nether would the workers. Retirement accounts and health care are killing the state of NY.
    Just my 2 cents
    :shiner: hy

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Yes.

I don't get free care. (Well, not usually) Last year, the hospital gave free flu shots to the employees, and the indignant people that stopped in. I'm not an employee, but a vendor. In the morning, they came around with a cart, giving out shots, and when I left my office to get one, the nurse informed me that I wasn't eligible because I wasn't an employee, and I had a job. "Fair enough" I said. So, I went back into my office, and made a sign (6"X6") that I attached to my ID card/lanyard that read, "Caution: I have NOT had a FLU shot!". Just before noon, a different nurse walked into my office and asked where they guy was that needed the flu shot. No Charge!:bbg:
    Wait, doesn't this contradict your earlier statements? Why not offer to pay for the flu shots? I'm confused.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    Wait, doesn't this contradict your earlier statements? Why not offer to pay for the flu shots? I'm confused.
    I should have explained that they sent out a memo saying that due to the potential "pandemic" all hospital staff were required to get them. I'm not staff, and I have never had a flu shot, but figured if they were giving them away, I'd take one.

When they wanted to charge me, I wanted to see if they were more concerned with their $18 charge, or having someone working there that was not immunized. I didn't really care one way or the other whether I got one. Plus, the whole flu thing was blown way out of proportion here. They had huge machines in the hallway "cleansing" the air, and people with coughs wearing masks, and even a sterile CDC tent to walk through to get to our department. Meanwhile, people are sneezing all over the counters, drunks sleeping in the waiting rooms, covered w/dirty grocery bags, and anybody else that happened to wander in off the street. Their "Code Red for Flu" lasted about 5 days before the machine was unplugged by the cleaning ladies, and the masks disappeared, and everything went back to normal. All a bunch of hype.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=OHPNTZ;369109]is the general population of this country in poor health with minimal concern about taking care of themselves or their children, not very educated, and just "off"???

Just blame it on the Obama care. If you don't believe it look at the hospitals in Scranton Pa. That are being forced to close go to http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/201...ls-being-sold/
    Last edited by eye2; 11-04-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I should have explained that they sent out a memo saying that due to the potential "pandemic" all hospital staff were required to get them. I'm not staff, and I have never had a flu shot, but figured if they were giving them away, I'd take one.

When they wanted to charge me, I wanted to see if they were more concerned with their $18 charge, or having someone working there that was not immunized. I didn't really care one way or the other whether I got one. Plus, the whole flu thing was blown way out of proportion here. They had huge machines in the hallway "cleansing" the air, and people with coughs wearing masks, and even a sterile CDC tent to walk through to get to our department. Meanwhile, people are sneezing all over the counters, drunks sleeping in the waiting rooms, covered w/dirty grocery bags, and anybody else that happened to wander in off the street. Their "Code Red for Flu" lasted about 5 days before the machine was unplugged by the cleaning ladies, and the masks disappeared, and everything went back to normal. All a bunch of hype.
    Oh ok, just checking. Now I've got the context

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eye2;369181

Just blame it on the Obama care. If you don't believe it look at the hospitals in Scranton Pa. That are being forced to close go to [url
    http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/2010/10/13/obamacare-is-the-obama-white-house-going-soprano-again-or-why-are-three-catholic-scranton-pa-hospitals-being-sold/[/url]
    "Obamacare," as you so call it, has NOTHING to do with those hospitals closing. Talk to local lawmakers for that one. Don't you go try and troll the boards again.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For once...just this once, let's keep politics out of this! Most politicians are losers, and so are the people that bring politics into every discussion.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I too daily get real world jerry springer show clientele that are entitled, self destructive, and victimized. They've been sucking the system dry long before Obamacare. Hang out in an ER late at night.

"not related to them, not married to them" is what I say when they leave.

The daughter of one of my employees is a pharmacy tech at the local CVS and has turned into an angry young woman. Drug/pain killer addicts are nasty when getting their Rx's filled. And so are other dependant types. She's shocked as to the number of pain killer addicts out there. Over 80% of her Rxs are medicaid or another state funded plan. I'm actively trying to get her out of there.

On the up side......

I'm in Massachusetts where we've had the mandatory health care, the subsidized plans have really helped the "working poor", those really working and trying to get ahead.

If you are the owner of a small business, you can at least tell the entitled to take their benefits elsewhere.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    I too daily get real world jerry springer show clientele that are entitled, self destructive, and victimized. Harry
    Around here they are known as UAW employees and retirees.

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    around here they are known as uaw employees and retirees.
    haha

What country are you originaly from?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    WOW! This is a great thread . It's good to see some of us are awake.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    "Obamacare," as you so call it, has NOTHING to do with those hospitals closing. Talk to local lawmakers for that one. Don't you go try and troll the boards again.

Oh Really! A para phrase from Mark Twain: " politicians are like babies they have to be changed often and for good reason some stink" Go do your home work then come back with some facts then we can converse, until then go change your diaper.
    :bbg:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    John's I've watched you reply to different situations over the years and your insults and just plain dumb banter is at times laughable then at other times just a pain in the --s!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eye2 View Post
    John's I've watched you reply to different situations over the years and your insults and just plain dumb banter is at times laughable then at other times just a pain in the --s!
    Yeah, he's like that, isn't he? I dislike him myself. How come I don't like you? As MasterCrafter asked, where are you (coming) from?

You may reply objectively, metaphorically, or fantasmagorically.

Consider your options; it counts!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now back to the thread.......

Your situation is not unique. We experience the same things here in Canada, and you can call this the consequence of a myriad of things.

Happiness is a contented family, though.....I would consider a move. Research it carefully, and perhaps you might find a greener pasture, or that the pasture you're grazing in now.........is the right one!:D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post

Your situation is not unique. We experience the same things here in Canada, and you can call this the consequence of a myriad of things.

Happiness is a contented family, though.....I would consider a move. Research it carefully, and perhaps you might find a greener pasture, or that the pasture you're grazing in now.........is the right one!:D
    +1, same thing in Canada, people the world over are just dumb as bricks. I'll reiterate health concerns two times, after that I leave the patient to their own devices, document in the chart and move on.

I would caution against looking for greener pastures, thats what I've just done and to honest I think I regret moving across the country to the most backwards province apart from Quebec. That and it's cold as hell here, what was I thinking!?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post

I thought happiness was a warm gun?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eye2 View Post

Thanks Mom, but I thought you said you'd quit stalking me on Optiboard!:hammer:

And I have to agree with you. If it ever begins to sound like anything other than dumb banter, then I'll expect to get paid for this. Otherwise, I'll consider being a pain in the a$$ as reward enough! Thanks!
    :cheers:

Thread Information