Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a Frame company

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Starting a Frame company

Lately I've been entertaining the idea of starting a frame company. Before you barrage me with a bunch of "don't do it's". I'm just entertaining the idea right now. But I have no idea how I would even begin to do this. Does anyone know how one goes about even getting past the designing process and getting them manufactured? I'd like more info on this. Anything could help :)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Start by finding suppliers, I use www.Alibaba.com a lot. Don't worry about designing your own yet, there are about a gazillion styles available to buy. Sell somethiong that is different and well made. Have fun !!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been thinking the same thing. Are you thinking zyl only, metal only, or both?

I have a friend who does tool and die work and machining working on a few things for me. The metal working equipment is pricey. I am looking into some contract work on a punch press for some parts. I'd like to hear more of what you are thinking!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think zyl production would be much more feasible. It seems that thick, chunky zyls are comining on strong. It may be time to strike while the iron is hot!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't do it!!!!!!

:bbg::bbg::bbg:

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Zyl production would be much easier IMO. All it would take is some CAD-CAM time with Autocad (or similar) to create a design, then transfer it to an inexpensive 3 axis milling machine (of which there are tens of thousands available, both new and used). Start with a chunk of material and mill it out.

Hinges are widely available and are usually heated and pressed in place or routed and glued in place.

Casting presses are also widely available if you want to go with injection molding, and there are many places here in the US where you can purchase precolored plastic pellets ready for injection molding.

You will also need a tumbling machine (and associated tumbling materials) to clean and polish the finished frame.

As far as metal frames are concerned, it isn't as bad as you might think. You need a rolling press to bend the eyewire to make the V bevel OR a 3 axis CNC to groove the metal and then a rolling press to shape the eyewire(s). A soldering station to add the eyewire screw lugs and hinge assemblies.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I once visited Titmus Optical in Petersburg, Va., where they make their safety frames, pretty amazing to see how they manufacture both zyl and metal frames. Zyl frames maybe, metal frames seemed pretty involved. They would get large sheets of the plastic from Italy, for some of their zyl frames, cut the sheets into smaller pieces and use CNC machines to mill it into the frame parts.

Occupation
    You're doing it the hard way, Mike.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    You're doing it the hard way, Mike.
    LMAO...that's what she said... (ducks and runs) ...

Occupation
    You'd better duck and run :( I make frames at times and you're doing it the hard way. I do it the old way and it's a lot faster and easier

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Big Smile

Can I get them on consignment?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    You'd better duck and run :( I make frames at times and you're doing it the hard way. I do it the old way and it's a lot faster and easier
    LOL!!

Ok, you have me intrigued now, what is the old way?

Occupation
    Paper and pencil to do the initial design, copy machine that reduces and enlarges, pattern blanks, homemade pantograpic router. With this setup I can get an idea and have the first made in about 2 hours, the second about 20 minutes later.

This the way we did it when I first started in the business. Much quicker and easier. than a D---D computer setup.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Okayyyyyyyyyy...but for production purposes (as in making the exact same frame 100's or 1000's at a pop) nothing beats a 3 axis CNC milling machine. You'd probably get at least 10 fronts per hour if not more.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like this thread......bring back more manufacturing, quality engineering and design....to North America! I am sick and tired of one size, same B dimensions, and one temple length.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like this thread......bring back more manufacturing, quality engineering and design....to North America!

I wish...I truly wish that I could tell you what Eyegrass and I saw on Wednesday. Unfortunately, we had to sign a non-disclosure form, and agree not to discuss this with anyone except each other.

What I can say is that it will bring manufacturing not only back to the US, but back to your office! And the sweetest, sweetest, sweetest, thing about it? They will be rolling it out in INDEPENDENT offices only.

I saw it... my jaw dropped...Eyegrass looked over at me and said, "See...I told you this would blow you away!". And it did. I have not been this excited for the future of our industry, but more particularly, for the future of independents, in a long, long time. I am pumped like I've never been pumped before.

All I can say is this: If you're losing hope, if you think there's no way we can compete, if you think only the big guys will be left, hold on for just 11 more months. A change is coming and it will be HUGE! And remember, it will be USA based. Not a cheap import gimmick or anything like that, but totally US.

We'll do an introduction here when the kinks have been worked out, and we are at liberty to say more.

It's going to be huge...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Okayyyyyyyyyy...but for production purposes (as in making the exact same frame 100's or 1000's at a pop) nothing beats a 3 axis CNC milling machine. You'd probably get at least 10 fronts per hour if not more.
    Do you know how much those things cost and what the programmers charge?? Think about small runs, you'll make more $$$$

Occupation
    There is also a 3-D printer system that is used for prototype work that could be used for frames and lenses. It uses polycarb to build full size models of whatever is needed. I think Rinsie posted something on this a while back.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    talk to John Cate in North Carolina

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There is also a 3-D printer system that is used for prototype work that could be used for frames and lenses. It uses polycarb to build full size models of whatever is needed. I think Rinsie posted something on this a while back.
    As far as 3D printers, this is a good place to start:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

And you can Google "3D printer" and turn up some products and reports.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Wow, I will tell you, there are alot of people starting their own eyewear business today. Every month, we do a trend report and there are at least 3 new companies. Even the wood eyewear companies are fairly new, perhaps in response to unemployment. This weeks Trend report will have a few more as well. I think if you can get the word out, you will have support.

I would 1.) Call Sam Shapiro at Eyewear Inventions.com, who might be able to help you. 2.) Speak to maybe a few of the below listed companies and see what they say. 3.) Decide if you want a large market or making custom BeSpoke Eyewear, several sources in the USA. 4.) Enter some of the design competitions.

Eyewear Trend Report ; http://theopticalvisionsite.com/eyew...strong-trends/
    American Eyewear
    Activist Eyewear
    Adrian Mustelin Eyewear
    Hide Design To Launch Eyewear
    Shimano Launches Eyewear
    Samal Designs- New Futuristic Eyewear Launch
    Rich Kids Club Sunwear Launch

Trend Report theopticalvisionsite.com/eyewear/eyewear-trend-report-august-11-september-2-2010/
    New Eyewear Company Launches
    Protege Eyewear – Everybody getting into the Lady Gaga look for eyewear
    Dizm Eyewear
    Vestal Eyewear- actually launched At Vision Expo East 2011
    Freeway Eyewear- Eyewear Named after LA’s Freeways
    Massada Eyewear
    Made You Look Eyewear
    Michael K Forever Officially Launched- Hip Hop Eyewear
    Milly NY, Launches New Eye Wear
    Cardboard Eyewear – Eco Friendly fun eyewaer
    Drift Eyewear- New Eco Friendly Eyewear

Eyewear Trend Report http://theopticalvisionsite.com/eyew...ugust-11-2010/
    Maybach Eyewear Sneak Preview
    India Nation Launches Eyewear Collection
    TC Charton- Eyewear For Asians By Asians
    Louie Spence Launches Pineapple Eyewear Collection
    KBL Fall 2011 Fashion Eyewear (not really new launch but new company this year)
    New Coco and Breezy Eyewear by 20 Year Olds
    Holly Carpenter Launches Owl-like Eyewear Collection

Occupation
    Interesting video about making plastic frames, although I think it's in Arabic (my speakers are broken :( ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5kpZ...eature=related He is using a milling machine with a tracer unit on it to shape the front. There are other similar videos there that you may want to watch, too.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I wish...I truly wish that I could tell you what Eyegrass and I saw on Wednesday. Unfortunately, we had to sign a non-disclosure form, and agree not to discuss this with anyone except each other.

What I can say is that it will bring manufacturing not only back to the US, but back to your office! And the sweetest, sweetest, sweetest, thing about it? They will be rolling it out in INDEPENDENT offices only.

I saw it... my jaw dropped...Eyegrass looked over at me and said, "See...I told you this would blow you away!". And it did. I have not been this excited for the future of our industry, but more particularly, for the future of independents, in a long, long time. I am pumped like I've never been pumped before.

All I can say is this: If you're losing hope, if you think there's no way we can compete, if you think only the big guys will be left, hold on for just 11 more months. A change is coming and it will be HUGE! And remember, it will be USA based. Not a cheap import gimmick or anything like that, but totally US.

We'll do an introduction here when the kinks have been worked out, and we are at liberty to say more.

It's going to be huge...
    WEll rock me to sleep now!

Thanks Johns!
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting video about making plastic frames, although I think it's in Arabic (my speakers are broken :( ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5kpZ...eature=related He is using a milling machine with a tracer unit on it to shape the front. There are other similar videos there that you may want to watch, too.
    Awesome video. Jacqui you didn't miss anything as there is no audio at all. :)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    Awesome video. Jacqui you didn't miss anything as there is no audio at all. :)
    This was also presented in English at one time, don't know where it is though. There are others about making plastic frames and also metal ones (hopefully with audio)

:cheers:

Thread Information