Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is why Walmart sucks...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This is why Walmart sucks...

Just stood in line for 25+ minutes for a belt I need and since there was no indication the crusty old fossil checking us out was ever going to shake the cobwebs off I just dropped it on the shelf and walked out. She was over-inspecting every single piece of a mountain of kids clothing that a woman had put up on the counter and the line never moved once. Funny thing was -- The people in the line next to ours were huffing and puffing too.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a similar experience. I stood in line with 6 other people in the Tire and Lube department one Saturday for TWENTY MINUTES without ANYONE acknowledging that I even existed. I went and got the store manager and said I would never step foot in that particular Wal-Mart ever again (As if he probably even cared because I'll be replaced with 21019830912830928130912 new consumers) I left and took my business elsewhere..too bad he lost out on me buying 4 tires from there.

Talk about ANNOYING! :angry::angry::angry:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some of this is me venting but any way you cut it 25 minutes and no movement is unacceptable. This was a cashier lashing out because she was getting slammed and wanted everyone of us in line to know that we were "bothering" her. At one point I'm looking at my watch and she fiddled with one pair of shorts for a minute and a half.

Here's a couple tips for Walmart cashiers. #1 Walmart (that's you guys) ran a significant number of smaller businesses out of town so forgive us if we overwhelm you on occasion. #2 look to your left and right every once in a while. If the much younger version of yourself is running laps around you at the checkout, those of us in your line are taking notes.

You don't even want to get me started about the "automotive center" (a term I use loosely). I don't even bother with it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmm, everybody dumps on the optical at wally, so why would you expect anything different with the rest of the store. Just simply don't shop there, period. Don't tell me you have no other choice, as you do. For those that know me and where I live, I can show you how, and I have one right across the street.

JMHO

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't mind shopping there for food and other items because I price match to the max, however, this once instance just teed me off. As far as the optical....well never mind. :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Hmmm, everybody dumps on the optical at wally, so why would you expect anything different with the rest of the store. Just simply don't shop there, period. Don't tell me you have no other choice, as you do. For those that know me and where I live, I can show you how, and I have one right across the street.

JMHO
    No, no. I won't try and say I can't go elsewhere. The devil is in the details on this one. I needed a specific type of belt for a costume for a party tomorrow and I've been to several other places. Walmart simply had one that would work. But the day I stand in line longer than 25 minutes for an $8 item is the day I have my head examined. I'm the guy that will go just about anywhere before stopping at that S__t hole and this is why. For some reason I have to go there about once every month or two to remind myself why it's better to pay a little teenie bit more somewhere else.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ummmmm....What is W a l m a r t ????

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel just like Johns...if the only place to get it is walmart, then I don't need it...wouldn't set a foot into any of their stores for anything...It may appear they are cheaper, but what is the cost to all us really..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You pay no matter what. If you want a lower price, you pay by waiting in longer lines and with the inconvenience of poor service. If you want shorter lines and better service, your price will be higher.
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I lived in WI, in the town where I worked, I had the choice of WalMart or KMart if I needed something before driving 25 miles to the village where I lived. My thinking at the time was "everyone gets 24 hours in a day, but not everyone makes the same amount of money. If it takes me a little longer, but I save some $$, I'll go to WalMart over KMart." That's what it was about.

I've started doing my grocery shopping elsewhere, because I've found WalMart grocery just isn't the cheapest. I will still go there for other things, if I don't want to pay more at Target, but I'm not going nearly as often as I used to. I just wish they would open all the self-checkout lanes!! What's the point of having 4 of those at each end, if only one end is open anyway??? Yeah, standing in line there gives me road rage. There should be a real term for that. Checkout rage. X-P
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    I just wish they would open all the self-checkout lanes!! What's the point of having 4 of those at each end, if only one end is open anyway??? Yeah, standing in line there gives me road rage. There should be a real term for that. Checkout rage. X-P

Well that's in essence what started this thread to begin with. If all I'm wanting to purchase is one freaking item I should have a faster way to do that besides having to wait behind the person that's schlepping two full shopping carts through the checkout lanes. The walmart I'm referring to is finishing a remodel apparently and (this will show you how little I shop there) there were no discernable 'self checkout' lanes. In fact I couldn't even find any of those 'speedy' checkout lanes for less than 20 items. If they had any, they weren't marked clearly and they weren't open, which meant the only option was to wait in long lines behind the 6 or so open lanes. Why you only have 6 lanes open, during the lunch hour, at a Walmart that's in a town of more than 60K people, I have no idea. Oh wait! Yes I do -- WALMART SUCKS!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    You pay no matter what. If you want a lower price, you pay by waiting in longer lines and with the inconvenience of poor service. If you want shorter lines and better service, your price will be higher.
    This is a great point. How much is your time worth to you. Because to Walmart apparently it ain't much.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeguy21 View Post
    Well that's in essence what started this thread to begin with. If all I'm wanting to purchase is one freaking item I should have a faster way to do that besides having to wait behind the person that's schlepping two full shopping carts through the checkout lanes.
    Once again, Hmmm. A specific type of belt that only china, er, walmart has? Eyeguy, you are totally missing the point here, other than venting. When you enter in to any place of business, you have no right to anything, period. How about that contact lens patient that enters your office at lunch,when you are by yourself fitting mom and daughter. She boldly states that she is there to "only" pick up her 1 box of contacts. You do the best you can to try and wander over, but mom keeps asking you what other colors these frames come in. Does your store suck now? Hardly, as we all, or most of us, do the best we can.

When you choose to shop at an economy killer like Wally, you in fact have made a choice, and get what you deserve in my opinion. In my office, I always say time is money, and shop accordingly.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    What I like about W is they take Spectera and cover almost all my cost on high index and transitions. My doctors office wants to charge me much more for each of those. The frames and lenses are the same exact stuff.

The opticians are the same guys I have known for many years. They are flattered that an old lab guy would come to them. People are not willing to pay them what they deserve so they go to work at W. W seems to appreciate them take good care of them.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_Leigh27 View Post
    I don't mind shopping there for food and other items because I price match to the max,

But... let someone ask you that (price match) in the optical you work at, and listen to the rants!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not just Walmart, but ANY store will give you what you deserve.

There was a day when you wouldn't think of...

-walking up to a counter (in a restaurant) to order food.
    -wait at that counter to be served.
    -be happy with service from someone that was talking to 4 people at the same time.
    -having an empty cup handed to you, and then going to fill your own drink.
    -walking over to the drink dispensers and waiting in line.
    -sitting at a table that was summarily wiped with the same rag that 40 other tables were wiped with.
    -eating food packaged in styrofoam, delivered on a plastic tray.
    -listening to rude people's conversations as they yell over cell phones.
    -look at other people's trash that they left on the tables.
    -carry you own garbage over to an overflowing trash can to dispose of it.
    -and on and on...

20 years ago, people wouldn't have put up with the crap they'll put up with at a Walmart, BestBuy, or any other big box. Today however, people will forgo a pleasant shopping experience in lieu of a bargain. If you do happen to get good service, don't count on it again, it was just an accident.

And yes, I will drive 25 miles out of my way to go to a mom and pop store.

WM just put in a minute clinic, and an MD came in wringing his hands,and complaining how it's going to affect his business. I couldn't contain myself, when he told me he saw the new clinic when he and his wife were shopping there. I called him a dumba$$ idiot (he's a friend, or I would have really given it to him), and he deserves to lose a little skin. He buys his tires, groceries, and anything else he can get cheap there. I really did laugh at him. I said, "Hey Phil, it's really not that bad. In fact , I wouldn't take it personally, until they start calling for the records of your mom and dad!" (I'm a real funny guy, but he doesn't think so...not now anyway!:bbg:)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ... I just dropped it on the shelf and walked out. ...
    Time to relax, have a break - life is about the people around you, and we've lost so much of how good things USED to be. I was in Invercargill about 2 weeks ago and it amazed me how nice everyone was. I was waiting in a queue at lunch time to get a subway, (that's a sandwich not a train) and everyone was laughing, talking to one another, making small talk ... after two days in that chilly southern city, I couldn't pry the smile off my face.

It made me realise how wonderful people can be, how enjoyable small talk is, how lovely it is to pass the time waiting with a smile and meeting a new friend. Even though I had to be somewhere, I had the extra 10 minutes it took to get served, and made a few friends in the process.

There is a movement that started in the USA about 6 years ago ... I think it hasn't caught on yet because it's all about moving slow ... have a look and remember - it's the people not the time that matters ... http://abcnews.go.com/US/Living/story?id=202523&page=1

If you stress at a wal-mart checkout, regardless of how inept the checkout lady was, you're heading for a heart attack.
    Last edited by MarySue; 10-30-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: re-read and realised it sounded different than intended

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MarySue View Post
    Time to relax, have a break - life is about the people around you, and we've lost so much of how good things USED to be. I was in Invercargill about 2 weeks ago and it amazed me how nice everyone was. I was waiting in a queue at lunch time to get a subway, (that's a sandwich not a train) and everyone was laughing, talking to one another, making small talk ... after two days in that chilly southern city, I couldn't pry the smile off my face.

It made me realise how wonderful people can be, how enjoyable small talk is, how lovely it is to pass the time waiting with a smile and meeting a new friend. Even though I had to be somewhere, I had the extra 10 minutes it took to get served, and made a few friends in the process.

There is a movement that started in the USA about 6 years ago ... I think it hasn't caught on yet because it's all about moving slow ... have a look and remember - it's the people not the time that matters ... http://abcnews.go.com/US/Living/story?id=202523&page=1

If you stress at a wal-mart checkout, regardless of how inept the checkout lady was, you're heading for a heart attack.
    Hey, no fair using logic in this conversation!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, no fair using logic in this conversation!

Sorry mate but all that angst will kill you. I save move down under and live your life while enjoying your practice/business :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Not just Walmart, but ANY store will give you what you deserve.

And yes, I will drive 25 miles out of my way to go to a mom and pop store.
    Me too ... the drive is always pleasant and you never know what type of adventure you'll have

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You get what you pay for!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    You get what you pay for!
    Do you want to compare Walmart frames with the other on any framebar. What is different about the lenses? Or frames?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Do you want to compare Walmart frames with the other on any framebar. What is different about the lenses? Or frames?

No, sorry, I ain't taking the bait!

But, I do do laundry on Sundays if you care to share!

Occupation
    Just assimilate and get a job at W.

Occupation
    I can understand why John don't want to visit W. You go in looking for a $1 ice tray and leave with an $80 hole in the wallet.

Thread Information