Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you get your news from?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Where do you get your news from?

I read many of the posts in this Just Conversation Forum and just shake my head! I often wonder where you folks get your news from?

I get mine from:

http://www.theonion.com/

*Some of the content from that site is not work friendly!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Google news - It is nice, because it shows the story from many different news sources
    Canoe - A more conservative site, but provides good Canadian news
    CNN - For more general US stuff, and just to see a different perspective I may not see on Google
    Local newspaper and television website - For local stuff

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Daily Show
    ABC
    Local newspaper

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Why am I not surprised that Fezz also reads the Onion......

I use: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

I've found it nice (though kind of strange) to get news on US politics from a non-US source (although I've noticed that UK politics seem to have gone very weird recently...).
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I also watch some BBC news, never Fox News, never MSNBC, and some local news TV and local newspapers.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Yes, I forgot about TV. I'll also watch BBC World News and BBC News America.

I will occasionally watch CNN for "event/happening news" as opposed to "political news." Nightly Business Report for financial news. Never MSNBC or Fox News. Occasionally local news if I want to know what's happening outside my window without looking out.....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    infowars.com ( i do not agree with this guy on a lot of stuff, but he sites his sources)
    Al Jazeera
    Russian Times
    Fox
    MSNBC
    Theblaze.com

I do not trust mainstream news anymore, or any one single source. You never get the full or unbiased story w/ american news anymore. I know the name freaks people out but al jazeera really gives you unbiased news reports about everything. Their opinion pieces are labeled as such. But from my list you can see the way I swing.
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
    ~Josh Billings~

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvtcjhalo View Post
    infowars.com ( i do not agree with this guy on a lot of stuff, but he sites his sources)
    Al Jazeera <--good stuff
    Russian Times
    Fox
    MSNBC
    Theblaze.com

I do not trust mainstream news anymore, or any one single source. You never get the full or unbiased story w/ american news anymore. I know the name freaks people out but al jazeera really gives you unbiased news reports about everything. Their opinion pieces are labeled as such. But from my list you can see the way I swing.
    I like Al Jazeera myself.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    I look at Al Jazeera from time to time, usually when they're cited by someone else. There is an Indian news program that I can't remember the name of at the moment that's really good as well.

One of the interesting things I've learned from looking at multiple international news programs is that bias comes in differnet forms. I would defintely say that Al Jazeera is biased, but it's not in what they say in their reports. It's more in what stories they choose (or don't choose) to report on.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I read many of the posts in this Just Conversation Forum and just shake my head! I often wonder where you folks get your news from?

I get mine from:

[URL]http://www.theonion.com/[/I]
    *Some of the content from that site is not work friendly!
    [/I]
    News? Hmm... I don't think that there is a programme out there that provides news. My mom and sisters on the other hand ... now there's some newsworthy conversation!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

I get mine from:

http://www.theonion.com/
    I LOVE the Onion! Actually I miss it, at least the old school version. I grew up having it available for free along with the Shepard Express (out of Milwaukee) because it was based out of Madison, WI. You'd go take your lunch break, grab a sandwich, grab a copy of the Onion and laugh your butt off for a half hour. Good times. ;)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I get mine from Optiboard. There are so many politically astute individuals here...no, really. Especially in that four word thread.

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Evidently 21% of people aged 18 to 29 get theirs from "The Daily Show" and "Saturday Night Live".

That is some scary stuff.

I will give you an example of what "Saturday night live" news can do.

Remember Tina Fey doing her Sarah Palin routine? She mocked Palin saying " I can see Russia from my house" Well people actually thought she said that because all the other "liberal" news outlets ran with that.

What she actually said was this "They're our next-door neighbor's and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska." Wow that seems alot different doesn't it.

The fact is you actually "can see Russia from land in Alaska, from an island."

As far as "Political news" i feel I must look at it from multiple angles.

Take Yahoo this Saturday morning. They have a top news story about David Vitter (R). They are bringing up a story from 3 years ago. But they have nothing about Charlie Rangel (D) which is a current story.

Besides, what affects people more. A guy who goes to a prostitute 3 years ago, or somebody advocating to raise taxes all the time, then gets busted not paying his own for the last 17 years, and who's trial is going to start right after the elections?

What news story is more relevant?
    Last edited by MasterCrafter; 10-30-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I watch the local news in the morning while I'm getting ready for work. Then I listen to News Radio KTOK in the car on the way, in the lab, and in the car on the way home. Yeah, it's a Fox News Radio station that broadcasts Glenn, Rush and Hannity (then the Eggman on the way home, since Mark Shannon died earlier this year. Sniff. :( ). At home, we watch Nick Jr or my son's movies, and I don't watch grown-up TV the rest of the night. For programs I watch (House, CSI, etc), I'll record it and watch it in the morning instead of the news.

The first time I saw The Onion was at a Dr appt for my husband (we had to drive an hour and a half to UW on the West side of Madison--grrrrr). They had the paper in a rack by the entrance. I had no idea it was a farce, so we were reading it going "what the heck???" for a while. Strider goes to their website for funny videos sometimes still.
    Last edited by Striderswife; 10-30-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: forgot what else I was going to say. . .
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tend to view the CBC, BBC, Public TV and listen to the local CBC radio during commute time. For newspapers, the National/Financial Post....and of course....Optiboard for the latest greatest optical news! I must admit that since a lot of mainstream media became political in leaning.....I do not trust one source for the real story, nor the full story.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I do not even really trust any source. Most of them take the story from the AP, and that could be rather wrong. Journalists today do not go out to find balance, but instead to sell stuff.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I set my homepage to yahoo local
    It catches all the major events locally and globally.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCrafter View Post
    Evidently 21% of people aged 18 to 29 get theirs from "The Daily Show" and "Saturday Night Live".

That is some scary stuff.

I will give you an example of what "Saturday night live" news can do.

Remember Tina Fey doing her Sarah Palin routine? She mocked Palin saying " I can see Russia from my house" Well people actually thought she said that because all the other "liberal" news outlets ran with that.

What she actually said was this "They're our next-door neighbor's and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska." Wow that seems alot different doesn't it.

The fact is you actually "can see Russia from land in Alaska, from an island."
    That was her attempt to make us believe she's our first line of defense from Russia and gives her foreign policy credibility, It deserved mockery unfortunately we're the mockery for entertaining the Palin mindset.
    Last edited by braheem24; 10-31-2010 at 02:52 AM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    That was her attempt to make us believe she's our first line of defense from Russia and gives her foreign policy credibility, It deserved mockery unfortunately we're the mockery for entertaining the Palin mindset.
    Yea, her words deserved to get twisted around. She needs to be mocked. Just like Meg Whitman needed to be called a HO. Screw them and thier family. Lets mock her children too.

Next thing you know you will be telling me how woman do not need to be doctors or politicians.

Ever heard of RESPECT?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yea, her words deserved to get twisted around. She needs to be mocked. Just like Meg Whitman needed to be called a HO. Screw them and thier family. Lets mock her children too.

Next thing you know you will be telling me how woman do not need to be doctors or politicians.

Ever heard of RESPECT?
    CHILDREN STAY ON MESSAGE.....NO BICKERING..... RESPECT THE THREAD...... OUR POLITICAL PEEVES ARE NOT THE QUESTION

I watch local news, BBC for int'l, CNBC for financial, and recently discovered Onion
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get my news looking out the back window.

Todays news: Only 20% of the trees still have their leaves. Creek is down a bit, and the squirrels have cleared most of the ground below the trees of any acorns.

Todays weather: Slight breeze out of the northwest. Currently 39 degrees.

Todays sports: Soccer ended last week, but there may be some target practice in the ravine. My wife wants to try out her new 22 cal.

Financials: Not a bad month, futures are down slightly based on past experience that Nov/Dec are traditionally slower months in the optical business.

Arts/Life: Good costumes last night trick/treating. Many Marios, princesses, and vampires.

Food: Hope to have eggs over easy, on top of corned beef hash, toast, juice, and coffee in about 10 minutes.

That's the news for today...:cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by cleyes View Post
    CHILDREN STAY ON MESSAGE.....NO BICKERING..... RESPECT THE THREAD...... OUR POLITICAL PEEVES ARE NOT THE QUESTION

I watch local news, BBC for int'l, CNBC for financial, and recently discovered Onion
    This coming from somebody who gets their news from the Onion?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ABSOLUTELY!!!! More entertaining and just as unbelievable as the "REAL" thing. We have to be able to continue to laugh at life's absurdities, they do it better. See my signature.
    WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

Occupation
    How does where they get their news from relate to their requesting that we stay on topic for the thread?

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I get my news looking out the back window.

Todays news: Only 20% of the trees still have their leaves. Creek is down a bit, and the squirrels have cleared most of the ground below the trees of any acorns.

Todays weather: Slight breeze out of the northwest. Currently 39 degrees.

Todays sports: Soccer ended last week, but there may be some target practice in the ravine. My wife wants to try out her new 22 cal.

Financials: Not a bad month, futures are down slightly based on past experience that Nov/Dec are traditionally slower months in the optical business.

Arts/Life: Good costumes last night trick/treating. Many Marios, princesses, and vampires.

Food: Hope to have eggs over easy, on top of corned beef hash, toast, juice, and coffee in about 10 minutes.

That's the news for today...:cheers:

I wish to subscribe to this news station. It's news I could start my day out with without being depressed!
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Thread Information