Thread: Consumer question: high minus single vision freeform lens (general question)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Consumer question: high minus single vision freeform lens (general question)

Hi all,

Haven't logged in for 4-5 years and just read the posts from Steve about annoying consumers. On behalf of consumers, I'm surprised and frustrated -- and apologetic -- at our behavior.

I sincerely hope this question does not violate forum rules: does anyone know of a single vision freeform lens suitable at over -12 diopters? (cyl <-4)

My friendly neighborhood optician and I checked out both the Zeiss Individual and Hoya iD, but they both stop at 10-12. The lab is looking into whether the Shamir Autograph II SV goes that high. My question is -- are there any others?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I realize it has been a while since you have been here. I suggest a review of our posting guidelines.

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz, I'm going to let this ride for a while....at least until Steve makes the call. This poster has seen an eyecare professional and can't get an answer to a "General Question". This particular poster was given to understand general questions were ok with the following quote taken from someone's last post in 2006.

Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

In this case I think it's a legitimate question....and to be honest, now that I'm only in an office a day a week, I am looking forward to seeing what comes up myself!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fair enough Harry, thanks for looking into it!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    With Harry's approval, I'll offer the following information:

The Shamir Autograph II SV will go that high in ALL materials.

Up to -16.00/-6 cyl in 1.67
    Up to -20.00/-6 cyl in 1.74

Up to -14.00/-6 cyl in all other materials.

And I'm sure ICE-TECH can do it in their Free Form.
    Last edited by WFruit; 10-29-2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: added materials
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

Thanks everyone

Thank you all for your consideration.

Fezz: I hope I have not offended anyone.

Harry: those are exactly the reasons I thought it was okay to post, and thank you for allowing the question. It is not diagnostic in nature.

WFruit: the lab called back this morning with the exact same information (-14 in transitions, -20 in clear). Is there any other SV freeform that goes this high? Today we called to check about Essilor, and it seems like that too stops around 10-12.

Occupation
    There are no other major lens manufacturers that have Free Form lenses. The big 4 are Shamir, Zeiss, Hoya, and Seiko. Only Shamir's goes that high.

The only other information I could give is to have your optician call ICE-TECH. They are an independant lab in Florida which has custom created their own Free Form lens line (progressive and SV). If you optician is willing, I'm sure they could do it as well. I would recommend them as would, I think, most of the regular members of this board. Their reputation is excellent and well deserved.

Their number is: Phone: 888-ICE-TECH (888-423-8324)

There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks so much for the help. The lab my optician is using is Italee Optics in Los Angeles, which seems to feel confident about its ability to construct the Auto IIs. He and I also looked at Luzerne Optical -- they seem to specialize in freeform. Have you heard anything about them?

Again, thank you very much. I'm sure you appreciate that extremely high myopes have to work a little harder to ensure the best vision possible, and you have helped me to do just that.

Occupation
    I've heard of Italee, though I don't know much about them.

Luzerne is an excellent lab, and their reputation for quality work is well deserved (though I hate to recommend the competition). :p

As for high myopes, yes, you have my sympathy. I'm only a -6.75 myself but I understand wanting the best vision you can get at the higher powers.
    Last edited by WFruit; 10-29-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: decided that if I wasn't sure if I should post it, then I shouldn't

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Absolutely -- I'm very lucky to have an optician who I've known for a long time, cares about his patients, and is willing to experiment. It makes a huge difference to my quality of life. We're ordering the uncuts from Italee, he'll check them, then courier both frames and lenses back to Italee to see how well Italee cuts. I'll let you know how it goes (and what he thinks of it all!).

My only concern is what I would ever do if this guy ever moved... :)

Speaking of the best SV lenses, are there any non-freeform lenses that you'd recommend in the -14 to -20 range? Photocromatic preferred, but clear is fine too.

Thanks again!

Thread Information