Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you prefer to die?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

How would you prefer to die?

Not to be macabre, but how would you like to make your exit from this transient state in which we all exist (don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive kinda stuff here)?

As I've stated elsewhere, I would like to quietly slip out of the physical grasp of this world on Christmas Eve 2034 after sending my grandkids off to bed and taking up one of my favorite books (did I mention its snowing outside and I'm in my favorite leather chair by the fire?).

Its got me wondering as to what other folk's preferences on their demise might be... For example, I have a feeling Darris' wishes involve intense speed and a huge fireball!
    :D
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vallhala

With sword in hand!

Preferably, with honor against something evil.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 03-23-2002 at 10:03 AM.

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Hair Die!

I am getting Bald lately.
    Wish a hair or two remains untill I Die with a dye!!:bbg:

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

BLEH what a topic you have here Pete!!! Anyway I still have to have my input no matter how morbid...Of course I don't want to be in a nursing home or have anything wrong with me physically or mentally(like I don't already LOL!!!) but seriously some of the pts I wait on make you feel like writing up a living will to make sure that someone would show MERCY on you and put you out of your misery!!! Anyway I would just like to just slip into an eternal slumber without any pain or trauma!! And LORD PLEASE OH PLEASE don't let me 1. drop dead in the shower or anywhere that I may not have clothing on!! 2. be malled to death by animals. 3. murdered and then have anyone not know what happened to me (God that one is really horrible maybe I will change that to number 1!!) 4. Die of some horrific disease. 5. Choke to death on perhaps a pretzel....LOL!! 6. burn in a fire where the only way to correctly identify my body would be to send for my dental records...7. be decapitated in an automobile accident although I would NOT want to die in an accident anyway being decapitated is like the WORST!!! Well that is my list for now...If I think of anything else I will let you know!!

Steph

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave

I could go for the fast and quick exit....
    Just dont fancy drowning, burned,chocked or any other slowww death..

Pete, you make no mention of a drink at your side to ease the pain...:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Post It is the year 2039

Which makes me 82 and Jim 92. It is our bizillionth wedding anniversary on Dec 19. We have just finished a wonderful dinner with children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The house looks wonderfull with the Christmas decorations, everyones life is fulfilled and happy, delightful presents are under the tree. But we know Jim's days are numbered simply due to old age and I worry him dying an uneasy death. I worry as well about living life without him, something that even now with plenty of years to rebuild, I find unimaginable. But because it is a holy season as well as a season with many special family events, we're not thinking about it that night. We go down to the wine cellar to pick some wines for the remaining festivities. Because we find it a cozy place we sit with his book (don't know if that week it will be Clancy, Custer, Patterson) I have my cross stitch or knitting needles, Boccelli is playing on the speakers. Life is entirely too good and then there is a freon leak from the wine cooling system and poof we go peacefully AND together.

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete,
    Never gave much thought on how i want to die.But i do put a great deal of effort on how i want to live.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Although I find this subject morbid....

and Pete, I worry about you lately! I will put in my two cents.

I want to die quietly and peacefully at a point that I am starting to lose my quality of life. I don't know when that may be, but I count on God to know when and honor my wish!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile says it all

:hammer: "I would like to live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were ever supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever."
    Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss Universe contest

:idea:
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: says it all

optispares said:
    :hammer: "I would like to live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were ever supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever."

:idea:

I take it she didn't win!:(
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation

Big Smile

I take it she didn't win!

:bbg: tis to be hoped her beauty exceeded her brains:hammer:

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In bed....

Sleeping in bed.......In my late ninety's or early 100's......with a big S.E.G. on my face.One of these......:D .
    bst hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: In bed....

hcjilson said:
    ......with a big S.E.G. on my face.One of these......:D .
    bst hj

You go Harry! :D
    ~Cindy

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Optispares,
    If you ever find yourself in the states, visit Alabama and the nature of that quote will make perfect sense!

Interesting twist, Steph (listing how you wouldn't want to die)... I think dying in some act of stupidity would be about the worst way to go (if you've never seen the Darwin Awards, they're pretty interesting reading... basically, they give awards out to the people who have taken themselves out of the gene pool in the most inane ways). I mean, exiting the world while trying to blow dry one's hair in the bathtub would be quite embarrassing (and painful, I would think)!
    ;)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Big Smile

If you ever find yourself in the states, visit Alabama and the nature of that quote will make perfect sense!
    next time i am at your side of the pond
    i had better visit Alabama.:hammer: IF thats the case. must be a strange place:D

jack

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    ...next time i am at your side of the pond I had better visit Alabama. IF thats the case, must be a strange place...
    Imagine Todmorden- only more daft!
    :)
    PS- Ironically, any more comments regarding the South will probably result in a different kind of death than I hoped for earlier in this thread... the trouble and strife (cockney for wife, right?) will imbed a frying pan in my head!
    :shiner:
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Big Smile

Imagine Todmorden- only more daft

click here and view it
    not too far away from the old home town.

better get a skid lid to protect your bonce :bbg:

jack

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    not too far away from the old home town.
    Are those hedgerows (or whatever they're called) in the picture? One of the things I have a mind to see if I ever make it to the UK are the hedgerows- just something we don't really have over "here."

Here's a pic of one of my favorite places near my old hometown (Gettysburg, in South-Central Pennsylvania).
    Gettysburg
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Are those hedgerows (or whatever they're called)
    yes they are

and the hills in the background are what seperates us from them. yorkshire (gods county) and lancashire:bbg:

jack

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave

Pete, that looks very much like certain parts of england...
    Hedgerows are getting pretty scarce over here as the farmers are ripping them out to make bigger fields and even more money....but we got plenty of dry stone walls....

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Pete, that looks very much like certain parts of england... Hedgerows are getting pretty scarce over here as the farmers are ripping them out to make bigger fields and even more money... but we got plenty of dry stone walls....
    I have a feeling the Cumberland Valley (runs through the Appalachian Mountains in the central part of Pennsylvania), probably does look somewhat similar to the rolling hills of your country. Even without the bias that comes from being born and raised there, I can honestly say it is probably the most beautiful place in America (that's being completely unbiased, mind you).
    ;)
    Concerning hedgerows, a good friend of mine gave me a book by a fellow named Bill Bryson. Bryson was an American who lived in England for 20 odd years and wrote a book about his experiences there. One of his biggest complaints is the "alarming" disappearance of the hedgerows. Apparently, hundreds of miles of the rows have been torn up as you describe. Anyway, in reading the book I have come up with a list of dozens of places and things I'd like to see (things which are probably ordinary and dull to folks who actually live among them).

Coincidentally, the monument on the right hand side of the pic is in honor of the Pennsylvanians who served and/or died at the Battle of Gettysburg which was fought in July 1863 (ancient history for an American) during our "Civil War." The names of each person who served is engraved around the base (and yep, one of them is "H.H. Hanlin," a great great something or other).

Having watched "Charge of the Light Brigade" (and in keeping with the original thread), dying valiantly in a war would perhaps be a fine way to meet the end as well...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Civil War'

Pete:

Do you mean "The War of Northern Agression?"

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    No, I mean the "War for Southern Independence," which was lost by the side that fired the first shot (namely, the South).

Actually, if you ever watch the movie Gettysburg (based on the book The Killer Angels), I think General Pickett's explanation of the Southern viewpoint is about as clear as I've seen it put.

Basically, he asked his audience to consider themselves members of a gentleman's club (btw, they were playing cards and he was giving this speech for the benefit of the British military observer who was charged with advising the King on whether England should assist the South). Now, if certain members of this gentleman's club (in this case, the Northern states) were to intrude themselves into the affairs of the other members (the Southern states), wouldn't those members have the right to resign themselves from the club?

I think we can all agree that- although the carpetbagging and years of ethnic strife that followed were unpleasant- it is fortunate that the Civil War ended the way it did and we remained a United States! I know I'm glad that I didn't have to apply for a green card to move from Pennsylvania to Florida!
    :p
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well,

I see my demise this way...

My wife and I are very old (She's 102 and I'm 512) We're sitting in a small house during the winter with a fire going in the fireplace. She's sitting in her rocking chair and I in my recliner resting. We've just gotten off the phone with our 143 grandchildren and all is well.

I get up slowly (as old people do) and walk out to the garage which the wife takes no notice of because I do this quite often. I walk back in to the living room stark naked except for the 400 lbs of gelignite I have strapped around my waist and the detonator taped to my shoulder. The wife gets up and disrobes and we jump on my 190 horse power thunder bike and head out at full spead straight at the nearest used car lot and die at a high rate of speed in a firely blaze while nakkid. :)

You see Pete left out the nakkid part but other than that he was right on target ;)

Darris C.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Darris Chambless said:
    The wife gets up and disrobes and we jump on my 190 horse power thunder bike and head out at full spead straight at the nearest used car lot and die at a high rate of speed in a firely blaze while nakkid. :)

You see Pete left out the nakkid part but other than that he was right on target ;)

Darris C.
    Darris,
    I don't know which would be more horrifying. The horrific crash or the 102 year old and 512 year old naked bodies!
    ~Cindy

Thread Information