Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chemistrie Clip-Ons :: Feedback wanted

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Starting with chemistrie clips in the new year!

Hi All!
    I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post.
    I've been coming here to do research and just browse around for about a year now, and think that this is a great place to find information.

The lab I work at will be starting to do the Chemistrie Clip-Ons in the new year.
    The task of setting up and calibrating the software to work well with our Nidek ME1000+ will most likely fall on me.
    Can anyone offer any tips on doing a smooth and trouble free installation?
    Tips on the process of making the clip-ons?
    Are there any frame types or lens types that we should avoid offering chemistries with?
    Thanks in advance!

P.S.:
    @Super Moe: I too have had a feeler tip break on the ME1000+ it was on a high minus lens, and the feeler tip struck the lens somewhere in the process. It actually struck the lens hard enough to chip the edge of the lens, as well as break the feeler tip.
    Since we use the ME1000+ as our primary edger, this was very disruptive to the workflow in the lab. I called our supplier and had a replacement, and some extras delivered immediately, and was surprised that they considered them a "consumable" part, as it is not listed in the users manual as consumable. Unfortunately, I did not witness the impact happen, but the lens in my case was plenty big enough for the job, and there was no reason for a "feeler off" situation. Perhaps there is another underlying cause?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Welcome to the board. ;)

The install for the click software is VERY simple. It's a matter of taking the memory card out, putting in the one they send you, installing the software, and putting your old one back in. It took me about 10 minutes total, and most of that was watching the install bar fill up.

Both eyenovate (makers of the chemistrie clips) and nidek should be able to send you step by step intructions for making the clip. After that it's some trial and error to tweek the settings to get them just right for your machine. Shouldn't take more than about 30 minutes or so.

Feel free to PM me any specific questions or issues you run into.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dennis Z stopped by my office this week, we sat down to discuss the finer points of Chemetrie magnetic eyewear,
    Z. He tweaked my drill settings on my Lex-1000.
    I took delivery of the new 3D polarized lenses, and his new "hivex" plus-AR lenses. I actually made a set, while-u-wait, for a client, for computer use. They already had a chemestrie mag sun clip onthei frame.

They LUVD it!
    This is a great product and a great comoany!

B

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi there-

Since using the "FC" mode on our ME1000+ we have had no trouble with feeler tips breaking- we simply use the FC mode when it is at all likely that the lens will be close on the cut out. We have been working with Dennis and the Chemistrie products for almost 9 months now. With the ME1000+ and click mode, you still need to carefully calibrate everything, particularly the depth of the mortise that the magnets fit into. But, once everything is calibrated, it is simply a matter of practice and getting used to the assembly process. It is a great product and we are now branching into the 3D clips as well as readers and PAL clips. There are so many uses for them and it is a great niche . Also, Dennis knows the ME1000+ much better than anyone at Santinelli knows it , so he can really show you some great tricks and tips as well. Good luck and I would sure be happy to answer any questions you have, as we have just completed our 3rd formal, all-day advanced training with Dennis on the Me1000+ and click mode for the Chemistrie products.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Hi,

With regard to Rear feeler breakage on ME1000. This is due to heavily decentered lenses catching the feeler when moving into position on the Roughing wheel which just happens to sit under the Rear feeler arm. The latest software update from your Nidek/Santinelli dealer should remedy this problem! Pre-Edge size trepanning would also solve this problem and could save a lot of time and expense! Brings back memories of hand making/reproducing said Feeler out of a thick plastic former just to get edger going again! Thankfully this is no longer a problem but still have my trusty home-made spare, Just in case!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My other store was selling them. Andd now they are doing alot of redos. Our past Optican like to sell them to people that rode on motorcycles. Not really sure I
    would have suggested a clip on for someone that rides a bike. Well I guess that’s why she doesn't work here anymore.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by B101875 View Post
    My other store was selling them. Andd now they are doing alot of redos. Our past Optican like to sell them to people that rode on motorcycles. Not really sure I
    would have suggested a clip on for someone that rides a bike. Well I guess that’s why she doesn't work here anymore.
    So long as you match the bc of the lens w/that of the clip, you should be having no problem with motorcycle riders. We sell them to riders of all kinds.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    We do them in my lab. They're quite popular. They're not extremely difficult to create, as long as you've done some drill mounts in the past. Biggest thing is they're time consuming to make since they have to be so precise. We have an ME1000 that we use for them, and that takes a lot of the difficulty out of the process. As far as redo rate goes, it usually only occurs when they patient damages them, loses them, or someone here does them while having their head up their butt. haha. Other than that, they're a great up-sale tool. They are pricing, but you can get a variety of different colors for sun lenses. A reading clip on, or now we have 3-D clip ons for the movies.

Thread Information