Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Spectera (Optum Health)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Spectera changed to Optum because I devastated their marketing by coining the phrase "Specterrible".

I'm working night and day for a new one.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    How about OptDumb?:bbg:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It shall be so.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It shall be so.
    I am humbled beyond words!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    She "upgraded" to a disco. Columbia (thanks FezzJohns!) that retails for $179, but we made it available to her, w/her Spectera of course, for $89. She wanted poly(stock), so she paid the $40 upgrade charge, paid w/a CC, and walked out with her glasses. Not sure what Spectera pays us on that, and although we billed it, I don't really care. We did alright.

She was THRILLED at what she could get with her insurance for under $150. I was more than happy with the sale, plus we'll get another check in the mail in a few weeks. Heck, who cares what Spectera pays? Even if Ihad do use their lab, I wouldn't. Before we could use our own, we did it anyway, and didn't submit to Spectera.
    Great scenario Johns, thanks. I guess I'll just do a case by case analysis to see if I can do this.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The latest Spectera deal is no better than the online opticals. Spectera will tell you that its a great deal for you bc the pt can pick out any of your frames, but you aren't supplying the frame, Spectera is. Yeah, well who bought that frame for them to try on in the first place? WE DID!

Spectera is turning YOUR optical into a Spectera dispensary and they keep all the profit while you do all the work for a pittance dispensing fee.

We are dropping them at the end of the year. There will be no way to make it profitable.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I did a Spectera job on Monday. The patient was 19 years old. We showed her the 8 frames that we show for Spectera. She was horrified, disgusted, revolted, and repulsed. Not to mention she didn't like the way it looked. She "upgraded" to a disco. Columbia (thanks FezzJohns!) that retails for $179, but we made it available to her, w/her Spectera of course, for $89. She wanted poly(stock), so she paid the $40 upgrade charge, paid w/a CC, and walked out with her glasses. Not sure what Spectera pays us on that, and although we billed it, I don't really care. We did alright.

She was THRILLED at what she could get with her insurance for under $150. I was more than happy with the sale, plus we'll get another check in the mail in a few weeks. Heck, who cares what Spectera pays? Even if Ihad do use their lab, I wouldn't. Before we could use our own, we did it anyway, and didn't submit to Spectera.

We often do the same with Medicaid when they want a progressive. Charge them for the lenses, give them a free frame, and do it in house. Easy...

s
    Pretty much the way we handle it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Spectera changed to Optum because I devastated their marketing by coining the phrase "Specterrible".

how about Optumout the door, or mutpOo, There's always Opterrible.

Anyone who takes Optum should be called an Optumologist. Where do I sign up?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am confused- I thought we were required to use the Optumhealth/Spectera lab for all frames, ones that they provide, patient frames or ones we send to lab that they are not able to obtain. How can we choose to use our own lab? How does that change submitting claims to them and is reimbursement any different? Thanks!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My wife has Spectera (and I am covered). The key to that is Walmart. The independents show me a "special" board of frames and want to charge me much more for any primium product of add on. The copay at Walmart coveres just about any frame they have. Copay on lenses covers any index, A/R and Transitions. Send them to Walmart, they will love you. Walmart has some kind of sweet deal with Spectera.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you're big enough you can negotiate your own deals with them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jwes View Post
    I am confused- I thought we were required to use the Optumhealth/Spectera lab for all frames, ones that they provide, patient frames or ones we send to lab that they are not able to obtain. How can we choose to use our own lab? How does that change submitting claims to them and is reimbursement any different? Thanks!
    Doesn't it say in the office's contract that you are obligated to use "THEIR" lab? The office I used to work at, we took Spectera and threatened to drop them several times. (They never did) We argued and argued with them to be able to use our local lab and they wouldn't let us because it was a contractual obligation to use their laboratory. Personally, I am thankful that the office I work at now only takes VSP for glasses..although I absolutely H A T E the Choice Plan. Shoot me please!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don't take VSP because they force us to use thier lab, but we negotiated Optum to let us use our lab. When you're negotiating for 200 optical shops they bend like grass in the wind.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    We don't take VSP because they force us to use thier lab, but we negotiated Optum to let us use our lab. When you're negotiating for 200 optical shops they bend like grass in the wind.
    It's the complete opposite with me. We use 3 different labs and they are all contracted VSP labs that we have free will to use either of them. As per my experience with SpecteraOptumHealthWhateverTheyDecideToCallIt, they make you use their labs. I am sure every office is different and has/can negotiate. Insurance is frustrating..period. :hammer:

Thread Information