Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: When does a RX expire????????

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

When does a RX expire????????

In ontario when does a RX prescription expire???

The reason i ask because each doctor writes their own expiry date. Some state 6 months, 1 year or 2 years. They make life difficult when trying to get a rx faxed over from their office. Obviously they want to bring the client back in their office.

So again according to the college of physicians and surgeons of otnario when does a rx prescripton expire????

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    speaking solely for myself, my script hasn't changed in over 10 years. (I get checked every 2 years).

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    According to the opticians SOP never you just need to advise the Px that they should get a full exam every 2 years

Occupation
    Optometrist
    There is no expiry date for any spectacle Rx. In fact, changes or no changes, have often no correlation (but not always) to ocular health. That's why just autorefracting someone does a disservice and is potentially vison threatening in the long run. That's what HPRAC concluded in the recent review and reaffirmed that stand-alone refraction is detrimental to ocular health.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Would it be unethical if rX's actually had expiration dates? It seems like an interesting idea to implement. Virtually everyone would benefit.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by design786 View Post
    Would it be unethical if rX's actually had expiration dates? It seems like an interesting idea to implement. Virtually everyone would benefit.

...and when someone walked into your store with old glasses you could rip them off their face and smash them under your foot. :bbg:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    ...and when someone walked into your store with old glasses you could rip them off their face and smash them under your foot. :bbg:
    Like I said, everyone benefits!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmessi View Post
    In ontario when does a RX prescription expire???

The reason i ask because each doctor writes their own expiry date. Some state 6 months, 1 year or 2 years. They make life difficult when trying to get a rx faxed over from their office. Obviously they want to bring the client back in their office.

So again according to the college of physicians and surgeons of otnario when does a rx prescripton expire????
    Most of the prescriptions I see do not have an expiry date on them. The ophthalmological ones that do, are simply because some of the medical conditions are temporary. All optometric prescriptions do not fall under the guidelines of the college of physicians and surgeons of Ontario. You will need to direct you question at the Optometric college. They might be able to answer your question, or perhaps an Ontario optometrist might be able to answer.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by collegeoptom.on.ca
    On the conclusion of the examination, the optometrist may determine that the
    refractive result should have a fi nite life span. That determination is based upon
    the optometrist’s assessment of the patient and application of clinical judgement
    based on the knowledge of the patient and typical growth and development of
    the eyes and vision system. When an optometrist specifi es a ‘fi ll before’ date on a
    prescription, information is communicated to the patient so the patient understands
    why it is not appropriate to fill the prescription after the specified date.
    If an optometrist determines that vision correction is required, he or she will issue a
    prescription as part of the assessment without additional charges, regardless if the
    examination is an insured or uninsured service. Charges for additional copies of the
    prescription are at the discretion of the optometrist.
    Linky
    So there is no fixed rule on expiry as there is in many states. I think a 1 or 2 year expiry could be easily upheld when pointing to generally accepted standards for frequency of eye exams.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what's wrong with buying glasses 2 years after an Rx was written if the refraction hasn't changed in 10 years?
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had countless experiences in the past where I or a coworker have filled an older Rx and a pt had come back saying "Something is not right" and it has nothing to do with my or their measurements.

In my experience I don't think it is too much to ask people to be refracted (especially if they have yearly benefits to utilize their exam coverage) before getting a new pair of glasses. Yes, your refraction may not have changed in 10+ years but you could have had a multitude of situations occur; There may have been ocular trauma, you may be diagnosed with diabetes, you may have had a stroke, you may have even changed your rx for other maladies. I like to have a much information as possible about the pt before I make a pair of glasses; otherwise I'm just as lazy as an online retailer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So Canada doesn't have expiration dates. To a stater, this is mind-blowing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Canada has expiration dates that are usually not observed by opticians because an optician asks enough questions that an expiry date isn't necessary.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought we beat this to death about 5 years ago. However, according to the Canadian Ophthalmological Society, their recommendation for an exam for a healthy 'normal' person between the ages of 18 and 45 is...

once every Ten (10) years.

I could source it for you, but I am soooo tired of "expires in 6 months" I just ignore what the OD writes and educate the patient. Deal with it.
    Shwing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry, LandLord. Ignore the very last remark. You nailed it and I was being snappy reacting.
    Shwing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Canada has expiration dates that are usually not observed by opticians because an optician asks enough questions that an expiry date isn't necessary.

So if an Optician asks the right questions and finds that the pt's medical history necessitates a new refraction does that mean you stop working up the order for glasses and request they have a new refraction done? I'd have some very annoyed pt's if I insisted that they have a new exam in the middle of placing their order. I'm always a "measure twice, cut once" kinda gal. I don't believe in just throwing up my hands and calling it done if a pt is unhappy with their glasses. Yes it is my responsibility to ask questions and suss out the pt's need even when they themselves don't know, but I also think that using outdated information is a disservice to my client.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My head just exploded. Half of my day, and half of, what it seems, EVERY optician's day, is spent sending people back to their doctor because their glasses rx or contact rx (especially contact rx) is expired. The federal government says that states may set their own expiration dates, up to 2 years max for each. A state that doesn't have rules defaults to the federal rule of 2 years for specs and 1 year for contacts, no ifs, ands, or buts. I'd love to have the refracting freedom to set them up with a new rx, but in unlicensed states I would need an OD or MD for that, so if they come in just a day over rx expiration I have to send them away!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    My head just exploded. Half of my day, and half of, what it seems, EVERY optician's day, is spent sending people back to their doctor because their glasses rx or contact rx (especially contact rx) is expired. The federal government says that states may set their own expiration dates, up to 2 years max for each. A state that doesn't have rules defaults to the federal rule of 2 years for specs and 1 year for contacts, no ifs, ands, or buts. I'd love to have the refracting freedom to set them up with a new rx, but in unlicensed states I would need an OD or MD for that, so if they come in just a day over rx expiration I have to send them away!
    Are you sure about the federal law that says eyeglass Rx's expire in two years if the state is silent??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm at work, so I can't get onto FTC or FDA.gov, but I do know that the Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act REQUIRES an expiration date to be written on contact lens rxs, and a CL rx is invalid without one. That is for every state, even those that do not require an expiration for glasses. The max expiration date for CLs as stated on the FCLCA is 2 years, but I'm sure that I saw another reference while browsing the FDAs website for glasses. I'll edit when I find it.

I do know that states can set any expiration date limit ABOVE what the FDA sets (some states have 5 year max, others 2, one state has a 3 year date I think) but if the state doesn't set a limit, it is supposed to default to the 2. That doesn't stop doctors from filling expired or "no expiration" rxs, though. There are a kajillion loopholes as well: for instance, Idaho says that Gas Perm rx's must be AT LEAST one year, soft contact lenses AT MOST one year, and spectacles AT MOST 2 years, and that the doctor is REQUIRED to write an rx expiration date, or the prescription isn't valid. However, neither the FDA, FTC, or Idaho have any legislation on neutralizing and manufacturing a pair of spectacles from an old set without a prescription on hand. Sure, there is a sentence on there that says specs must be made with a valid rx, but that doesn't stop private shops from neutralizing a pair of specs and making duplicates, as there is no specific wording on that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wow, a lot of words dedicated to "when does an Rx expire?". The answer is very simple: "it expires when you need a new one."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm at work, so I can't get onto FTC or FDA.gov, but I do know that the Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act REQUIRES an expiration date to be written on contact lens rxs, and a CL rx is invalid without one. That is for every state, even those that do not require an expiration for glasses. The max expiration date for CLs as stated on the FCLCA is 2 years, but I'm sure that I saw another reference while browsing the FDAs website for glasses. I'll edit when I find it.

I do know that states can set any expiration date limit ABOVE what the FDA sets (some states have 5 year max, others 2, one state has a 3 year date I think) but if the state doesn't set a limit, it is supposed to default to the 2. That doesn't stop doctors from filling expired or "no expiration" rxs, though. There are a kajillion loopholes as well: for instance, Idaho says that Gas Perm rx's must be AT LEAST one year, soft contact lenses AT MOST one year, and spectacles AT MOST 2 years, and that the doctor is REQUIRED to write an rx expiration date, or the prescription isn't valid. However, neither the FDA, FTC, or Idaho have any legislation on neutralizing and manufacturing a pair of spectacles from an old set without a prescription on hand. Sure, there is a sentence on there that says specs must be made with a valid rx, but that doesn't stop private shops from neutralizing a pair of specs and making duplicates, as there is no specific wording on that.
    You are correct about a CL Rx, but I don't believe there are any Federal rules about when a spectacle Rx expires. Some states have rules, some say nothing. You have to go by your state or Province.

Whether we like it or not, a spectacle Rx does not have the same status as a legend drug. Perceptions about what it should be encompass the entire spectrum. IMHO somewhere in the middle is the correct place. Doesn't matter what we think. Gotta follow the law.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Expires is a word that connotes harm IMHO.

Using "expired" eyewear often does not yield harm.

????
    B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post

Sure,like do you have a valid credit card....lol

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not if you do it the Landlord way...the rx never expires....anything to get the sale...lol

I love it when opticians get burned using outdated prescriptions...Especially when the patient blames it all on the optician for not getting an up to date rx...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Expires is a word that connotes harm IMHO.

Using "expired" eyewear often does not yield harm.

B

I agree, using an outdated rx generally doesnt directly cause harm,with the exception of allowing the patient to sidestep an exam which could detect sight threatening conditions....(which opticians generally dont concern themselves with... )

I can see the appeal of being a "site testing optician"....generate rx's in house...bag the sale...and no concern or responsibility wrt eye health...or having to worry about so called ethics or a pesky college overseeing your activities to protect the public....

The rx expiration is essentially stating that past that date, the numbers arent considered to be accurate ,and are to be used at your own risk...
    Last edited by kws6000; 10-23-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Thread Information