Thread: Hoya 1.71

OptiBoard Apprentice

At the office we are thinking of trying the new Hoya 1.71 index. Other than the Hoya rep, has anyone had any experince with this, good, bad, ugly or indifferent.

Thank you in advance,

Richard

Unhappy

Found this lens to be very yellowish. Material problem. Not too much difference compared with 1.67. Should stick with 1.67 till 1.74 arrives.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

First let me preface this by saying I work for one of the newly christened Hoya Labs of America. I suppose that maked me biased but I tend to get feedback from people before I go out and sing the praises of new stuff. The people who have used it so far have been pleased with the thinness of it and the optics seem to be good. I can honestly say I have not had any complaints yet but I also have not had people using a ton if it yet so... I have not noticed any yellow color myself and I think that in the aspheric version especially it is thinner than the 1.66 by enough to warrant using it. I also have several customers in the progressive in the 1.71 and they have been pleased so far. As far as using the Seiko 1.74 instead it is not available in the US at this time so that is truly not an option. Besides, it you are going to do that you might as well wait for our 1.76 :)

I too am curious to hear some feedback from the rest of the Optiboarders. Consider it a way to get your concerns sent to the proper authorities

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have dispensed a few pair, did not notice any distracting yellow. Patients so far happy with the product. The only thing is it is quite costly and limits the sales a little bit.

Rising Star

I wear it 15 High in the Hoya Wide
    1.71, my daughter wears it is single vision, so does her best friend. Have sold many both in SV and Progessive. NO complaints so far. I think it's the best very high index on the market.

------------------

"Come see me now, heah?"

Rising Star

Hi Ya'll;

I have a pair of the Hoya Wide 1.71. I wear +6:00 spheres with -2.50 cyls. This is by far the thinnest lens I have had. I see great out of them and don't notice any yellow at all. I will say this. I will not sell then in a Flexon, Accuflex, or Tura Flex, or any of the flex frames. They won't let you put the proper face form on them. You get it on and 20 minutes later the frame is back to where you started. I don't think the price is that bad as to limit the sale. Hey Al, what do you charge for a Panamic hi-index with Crizal? Course I'm way out here in West Texas where everything seems to be cheaper, except the Gasoline. Jim Seebach

Occupation
    Optical Retail

We've done maybe 10 assorted pairs so far, S/V and PALS -12.00 through to +11.00 and everyone a winner, no complaints about the price, we make it very clear that it's one of the most expensive lenses, but the best.
    Certainly the thinnest.

Yes, there is a smidge of yellow, but certainly not enough to have concern..... The BIG 'BUT' is how yellow will these lenses be after one year, because if you look at 1.67 material after being in use for a year, it's usually very yellowed..... time will tell.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I just had a pair of Hoya Wide 1.71 made and I am impressed with the optics and how thin it is. I am a +4.50 with a -1.75 cyl.
    I would not want to remake this lens too often since it is quite expensive. This is one reason the larger optical companies choose to sell Polycarbonate exclusively. This lens is far superior esthetically and optically than any poly lens I have tried. This is a lens for the discriminating consumer who appreciates quality over price. Shouldn't they all?

Bill B.

Thread Information