Thread: Where do we go from here?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Where do we go from here?

There are so many good points brought out in this forum, I am wondering about an action plan.
    If we look at licensing in a state, formal education, practical exams and the strengthening of our National institutions, what plan of action can you suggest in achieving these goals?

Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good Questions!

With less than half of our states licensed, a national association doing its best to keep its own head above water, and a somewhat apathetic constituancy, the retail optical industry does well considering that.

I would like to see the licensed states band together as one unit, and establish one set of standards that will allow the geographical barriers to be taken down.

I would like to see the OAA concentrate on helping to license the remaining states, not all at once, but on a basis that will be manageable.I would also like to see OAA concentrate a membership drive on the individual opticians, rather than the firms.With members, they gain some clout.

Once everyone is marching in the same direction I think the standard of practice can be raised.I think thats the only way you will ever see formal education as a requirement, and the only way you will ever see refracting opticians.

I think others who have spent more time studying this problem may have some worthwhile thoughts supplanting what I have oversimplified here.I hope they will.
    best from harry j
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Harry

You are absolutely right. Our first goal should be to strengthen our National organization by banding together the licensed states and increasing membership via individuals. The focus in the past has been on firms but the days of large numbers of Opticians owning their own businesses are memories for the most part.
    Using the strength of the National organization to work on perhaps one state at a time (that is not licensed) would be the most effective use of our resources. Once the positive momentum takes hold, our efforts should focus individually on formal education (we should plan now for the action) by using models of states who have been successful in legislating formal education.
    I have repeated what Harry has said but I think it is important to drive the point home. Let's do it. OAA, NAO, CLSA and NFOS you need to set up a unified committee to focus on this plan and take action. All of us who are honored by being Opticians need to join these organizations and support them.
    My two cents.

:cheers: Jerry

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It May Be Helpful to Look At California

Although they are in the infancy of licensing opticians there, it may be a good case study of the start-up. They have recently changed the requirements for state licensure and are in the process of bringing everyone up to standards.

It may be a place to start.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

OptiBoard Apprentice

Question

Cindy,

I am from California and I am not aware of any change in our licensing requirements. Can you fill me in?
    Don

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    bud said:
    Cindy,

I am from California and I am not aware of any change in our licensing requirements. Can you fill me in?
    Don

It was my understanding that licensing wasn't manditory (so to speak) until recently. That there was a big push to get a licence per optical shop per new requirements.

I could have misunderstood.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unless there's been a change,

Cindy,

Unless there's been a change, California never licensed opticians....Just the shops!If this has changed I'd be interested in the whens and how's.
    I have found one box of matches so if you e-mail me your land address I'll drop it in the mail.
    bst from harry
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am going to track down my friend from CA that told me this.
    ~Cindy

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to live in CA. They had RSLD (Registered Spectacle Lens Dispenser) which required ABO certification. This pretty much was licensing a person to manage a specific location. RDO (Registered Dispensing Optician was licensing for a person who owned and operated a store/ If the optician also fit contact lenses, they had to be NCLE certified.

Dispensers for MD's or OD's did not require any type of requirements. CA used to require a certain # of years of experience and written letters from MD's verifying the talents of the optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I guess the party's moving!

Sharon B started a new thread "National Practical"-check it out! hj
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Building

stronger National organizations should create leadership to wage the battles we have in getting licensure and formal education in all state of the US. Our ideas in these threads should be presented to our National Executive committees. Judy is strong in OAA, Sharon in ABO/NCLE. Ed and Laurie are strong in NFOS. Anyone have strong ties in CLSA or NAO?

:idea: Jerry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

First things first!

I would think that the first thing OAA should concentrate on is increasing its membership.In the early days the emphasis seemed to be on attracting firm members probably because this was the fastest way to grow a financial base.

While I think that still should be a goal, I feel that attracting individual members at "little more than a magazine subscription" fees will serve the organization better in the long run, because it will expand the sphere of interest faster.The more intrest you have, the more participation you will have.If you are to organize a national movement toward universal licensing it is absolutly necessary to have grass root support.OAA can provide the leadership to accomplish this goal, but it is the ground troops who must do the work.You won't get ground troops involved until they feel they have a say.OAA lost a lot of creditability when they became known as an "owners" group.

I would envision a push for members then a push for licensure of the non licensed states.ABO may well decide to begin a program with the ultimate goal of upgrading the educational requirements to the level discussed elsewhere in this forum, and hopefully higher.That is when you will see things like refracting opticians.

It doesn't have to be a battle but it sure will be a long walk up a steep hill.

best hj
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Harry

The first "battle" is to change attitudes. Membership is critical but without benefit membership will fall back in a couple years and we'll be right back debating how to continue with our national organization. What is NAO's secret? They seem to be solvent financially. I must admit that setting themselves out as strictly education with a fellow status attached keeps me paying my $65 per year. I just recently sent in my membership to OAA and will be watching to see if things change. I'm sorry but if there is no plan presented by the newly developed OAA, I will concentrate my time and money in a national organization (NAO or CLSA) to do the planning for Opticianry's future. Exchange of ideas and a thorough plan development of the educational and licensure goals with each state association will be a must for OAA's survival. That needs to be the topic that all attendees of the National convention needs to bring to the new leaders.

:cheers: Jerry

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jerry,

I agree that the NAO seems to be very stable; however, I would imagine the expenses required to seek their goals come with a less expensive price tag than the OAA's goals do. The OAA must deal with government and that is never cheap.

I agree with Harry. There should be an individual membership drive. The money to lobby has to come from somewhere.

I think the OAA should also get involved with the kind of press the AOA and the AAO are involved with. Look around any government website dealing with topics from occupational safety, UV protection to eyecare and you will see recomendations from those two boards. How did they reach such high status as to get the US Governments seal of approval?

Thread Information