Thread: Your Take on Computerized Imaging Mirror Systems

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Your Take on Computerized Imaging Mirror Systems

Hi;
    One of the things that interested me at Expo is the computerized mirror/ imaging systems (Smart Mirror, Lens-Cam - Frame-Cam, etc.)

I'd love to get some input from any of you who might be using one of these systems.

Which features are really worthwhile?
    Do patients really find them helpful, or is it just another high-tech toy?
    Can they be operated efficiently in a dispensary without becoming the focus of the sale?
    Which system do you feel is the best?

Thanks for any and all comments.
    Rich

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I haven't Used One, but....

I saw one being demonstrated at the North Carolina Optician's Convention and was impressed. Being one who doesn't see well without my glasses I would think it would be a plus.

I would also think patients would like the split screen option to see the varying pairs on their faces. How many hours have we spent sitting in front of a patient at the mirror while they look at four pairs from all sides.......

It couldn't hurt.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

I have been using a "Smart Mirror" system (not sure if this is the same as your system in the U.S.) for about 1.5 years. Generally patients are very positive about it, and it is a source of new business and differentiates you from your competitors. We try to get the patient down to a final selection of frames (rather than trying every frame on the smart mirror) and use the smart mirror as a tool to make the final choice.

The multiple display options can sometimes be too small when comparing frame v frame, we tend to display them individually in succession.

You can use it as a way to shows the benefits of high index or AR coats; the AR coat demo tends to over estimate the effect.

Richard

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Richard,

Have you had the chance to use Smart Mirror to demonstrate coloured contact lenses? If you have, is it effective?

Jo,

I have used it for coloured lenses/crazy lenses occasionally. The effect is OK but you tend to end up with the CL overlapping onto the lids (esp. upper), there is a way to retract the upper lid but it never seems to look quite right. It would be useful where a patient doesn`t have a definate idea of the colour they want. For most coloured CL`s patients I just try a couple of trial lenses in the eye as they already have an idea of the colour they would like.

One of the things about the smart mirror is that you can sometimes forget to take advantage of all of its features (e.g. showing spectacle lens tints). I really think this sort of system is worth the investment for most practices.

:) Richard

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Thumbs up Just bought FrameCam/LensCam

on behalf of an overseas client this weekend. One of my associates, who is much more proficient on "Techie" gadgets than I did the research first. He definately felt this was the best as far as ease of use, simple eyecatching graphics, etc. without becoming a substitute for personal, professional help. I went in for the final decision demo and to work out price. I started reviewing customization issues with them today and hopefully the first piece will ship in a couple weeks. I often like to work with realtively "start-up" organizations for their flexibility. Also, I must admit I've dismissed this tool as too gimmicy in the past but I'm impressed. Of course, the proof is in the pudding so I'll keep you posted as it rolls out!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was also impressed at Expo with the Activisu. Anyone have one of these?

Bad address email on file kjw1231's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

my two cents worth...

As most of you know I deal with computer systems and the integration of software. I was at expo and saw all the "Try-On" systems.

The only "beef" that I had with them is that there is no database or back end. In other words, you can show all the styles you want, but when you go to sell the order or keep it in a file, it is unavailable. So, you go through all the work only to re-key or re-enter all your work somewhere else.

Out of all the companies that I dealt with, Eyeweb seemed to have the best features and was easy to use. Additionally, they were very open to linking into a POS/Practice Management System.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

DIY mirror image system

Here is one tip to build your own computerized mirror imaged system:

1. One digital camera.
    2. One Personal computer install with any $99 dollar scanner and
    Photoshop software.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instruction:

1. Take a front face photo picture of patient 4 feet away with white wall background.

2. Take frame front photo picture of any frame requested by patients with temple removed.

3. Import the JPG file of patient's photo.

4. Import the frame picture and zoom out to proper size---gotta calculate and reduce size til accurate.

5. Clean up the background shadow of the frame by using magic eraser function. Tilt the angle of the frame if necessary, might as well adjust brightness and contrast and color balance of the frame. Now, Overlap the frame picture over patient's face.

Always save the frame picture in a disc and create a file name for it. The more frame pictures we save, the more frame data base we got!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jerry: I tried your idea of using a digital camera & it works fine as a "mirror." But the software used by Smart Mirror, Activisu, etc. allows one to show that image with & without AR Coating, tints, polarization, and variations of color CL's. If it can successfully demonstrate these options to increase sales then the expense is justified.

Laurie C.: Please do keep us up to date on your results. I did get a quick look at the Frame Cam/Lens Cam demo, but I'll still want to do some more homework on it.

Richard N (and the others who have used these systems): Do you find them to be "time savers" in your presentation? One of my big concerns is the effectiveness of demonstrating the eyewear as opposed to sitting there playing with a mouse & keyboard and talking about computer technology.

Thanks to all who have replied. And please keep the comments coming.

Rich,

I don`t think you will save a siginficant amount of time (if any)using these systems. Some patients will find it easier to make a decision when viewing images simultaneously (or in quick succession) and so you may get a small time saving, but I wouldn`t buy one on that basis - I find that most patients are happier that they have made the "right" choice having used the s.mirror.

I think most of your patients would be impressed that you have invested in the technology. For those patients who are new to the system I tend just to give a quick explanation of what we`re going to do and then get on with trying the frames etc, so I don`t really spend much time talking about the computer technology.

Will they not give you a demo system for a couple of weeks to see how it works for you?

Richard

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Virtual Dispensing"

I've been using imaging systems since 1994. I'm not a guru on this, but there were some lessons learned from it over the years. Also, I met with a bunch of people who use it and have outstandig results and they do not advertise that to other opticians. It seems to be a "trick, not tool of the trade" to most of them. The hard reality is that it is NOT the machine that makes the difference. It IS the operator. Let's face it . . . . as opticians, we don't exactly come across like cosmetologists, and it seems that the cosmetic approach SELLS MORE STUFF!
    One optician in Santa Monica, Ca uses the machine like its the best thing since plastic surgery. She frames the face, standing behind the "client" and looks into the camera along with like a beautician does, pulls back the hair, yanks here, tucks there, says "Darling" like she is hooker, and after all is said and done.....it's never less than 2 pairs before the sunglasses are sold, AR, three color lenses, glasses for the Academy Awards and the second pair Transitions and AR, a litte this and a little that. The reason is that she never thinks either or, it's "for the first pair we do this, and the second pair we do that." And, for a half hour its this and that, this color and that color, so on and so forth. But, what I am continuously amazed over is the mind set of the operator. The machine is magic when used as a cosmetic selling tool, and its an electronic mirror for -8.00 myopes as an opticians tool. Frame data base or not . . . its the what the operator does with it. Web based or not . . . YOU CAN'T REPLACE THE OPERATOR. And, anyone who thinks you can is nuts.

Paris Mikki leads the pack with their system. You cant have it. It creates shape and then color and style in a system that makes the sale so custom its crazy. NEEDS AN OPERATOR. Sells big time. I love Activisu. It also integrates real well with other features. The rest are fine once mastered. But, again (here comes my last sentence . . .) ITS THE OPERATOR, NOT THE MACHINE!

Tah tah!

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Out of all the companies that I dealt with, Eyeweb seemed to have the best features and was easy to use. Additionally, they were very open to linking into a POS/Practice Management System.
    Is this the company with the round yellow logo? I visited their booth at Expo a few years ago. Pretty impressive stuff! As I recall, they are actually geared toward placing a kiosk-like spot in a mall and the client takes his/her own pic. Then, from any computer they will be able to pull up their picture and "try on" various frames and treatments. The system even does measurements, and advises the patient if they have made selections that are contradictory or ill-advised.

Combined with the private practice, you could place a kiosk in the mall and dispense the eyewear from your physical location. Naturally, as an Optician, its pretty horrid to think of people fitting themselves with eyewear. There's no denying that this system goes a long way to making just that possible for some patients, however. Perhaps now they are marketing their idea for use "in-shop?"

(All this said, I hope I'm thinking of the same system.)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    :)
    I’m not trying to put down the product, but I work in a high-end store and we noticed that some patients do not like to look at themselves. I know they stare at themselves in a mirror when trying on frames, it’s just they do not want to see their picture.

Bad address email on file 10 Pence Short's Avatar
    I have worked in this field in the UK for 8 years, manufacturing our own product. Nearly all the products you have mentioned are european, using poor quality cameras and lenses (Smartmirror, Activisu etc). They sell units with over complicated software which does 101 things except show the patient CLEARLY what they look like.

We have created a system which features the best picture quality by far and really quick and easy operation (even by the patient if you like). We have succesfully sold our product in the UK to independents and multiple retailers alike in large quantities. It sounds as if the US is having to make do with poorer quality units than those available in the UK.

I have found that people using our system have found patient reaction positive (our own survey suggest 90% of patients like the service).

Good luck in finding a suitable product stateside, at the moment we have no immediate plans to launch in the US, unless we're overwhelmed with demand, that is.... (this is the bit where I'm flooded with emails?).

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    10 Pence Short said:
    IThey sell units with over complicated software which does 101 things except show the patient CLEARLY what they look like.

We have created a system which features the best picture quality by far and really quick and easy operation (even by the patient if you like). We have succesfully sold our product in the UK to independents and multiple retailers alike in large quantities. It sounds as if the US is having to make do with poorer quality units than those available in the UK.
    Frame Cam/Lens Cam is not in the least overcomplicated and has wonderful picture quality.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Nearly all the products you have mentioned are european, using poor quality cameras and lenses (Smartmirror, Activisu etc). They sell units with over complicated software which does 101 things except show the patient CLEARLY what they look like.
    It would be helpful to anyone considering one of these systems if you could provide some technical data or levels of performance to look for in a camera, mirror, etc. For example, why does your system provide a clearer image? Is it hardware or software differences?

Also, what features does your system have? Is it integrated with Frames to demonstrate frames and lens products on the patient, for example?

Thanks for the info!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Pete,

I think it would be against the spirit of this section of Optiboard to try and 'sell' my product against those already mentioned in this thread, especially considering the fact that our product is not yet available in your home market.

As a general guide to the differneces, however, the following items I believe are unique to our equipment against the mentioned systems:

Autofocus Sony chipped camera with integral 10X optical zoom lense, auto backlight compensation, fully adjustable white balance between full auto mode and several presets, in-house high resolution capture card, on-screen camera controls, custom manufactured keypad control of the software, desktop or standalone versions available. Of course our system offers single, 2 split and 4 split picture comparison modes.

Many of the other systems we compete against spend their budgets on the software side of things, providing many tools which a practice never has time to use and the patient cannot fully appreciate (ie. the already mentioned CL simulation). We differ in that we spend much of our budget creating custom hardware to make a system that concentrates on being quick to use, with a fantastic picture quality (after all, this is replacing a mirror for most patients). Consider that if a patient is down to a choice of 3 frames they will probably be very similar- unless the picture is accurate they won't be able to tell the difference!

From research of our own customers, and importantly users of other units, we soon found that all the lens simulations etc. were rarely used and the priority was to help the patient choose their frames. This is why we have continued with our principles.

In our market we are not the cheapest, yet we are not the most expensive- our aim is to be able to return to a practice a year beyond installation and still find a happy customer, something we are being considerably successful at.

Like I said, good luck to all those looking at systems, maybe one day we can plan to supply the US market....

LaurieC,

It wouldn't be fair to comment on that system, as I don't believe it is available in the UK and I haven't seen it in action.

The comments I have given are based on the systems already mentioned above, which I am familiar with. I do not doubt that there are some good products available in the US market, but I cannot comment on what I have not seen!

Thread Information