polycarbonate vs. high index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polycarbonate vs. high index

I was wondering if anyone would like to settle a debate in our office. A co-worker with the prescription below ordered 1.59 polycarbonate lenses while others argued that the 1.61 or 1.67 high index lenses would have been a noticeably better choice. What are your thoughts?

-325 -050 105
    -300 -075 85

The Rx is certainly ideal for all 3. However, there are so many variables for such a decision...patient affordability, application of use (safety?), previous material, availability (maybe poly was in stock and they needed it fast?) etc.

Now, all that aside...with such a low abbe, poor optics, high probability of scratching, shorter life span, why would anyone sell poly?

Comment

By "noticeably better choice" I assume you mean cosmetically. In that case along with proper frame fit the 1.67 would be my preference.

Comment

eyemanflying +1

Comment

Originally posted by Shoshanna View Post
          I was wondering if anyone would like to settle a debate in our office. A co-worker with the prescription below ordered 1.59 polycarbonate lenses while others argued that the 1.61 or 1.67 high index lenses would have been a noticeably better choice. What are your thoughts?

-325 -050 105
          -300 -075 85
          Too much time on your hands, in the office????? If you were eyecare professionals there would be no debate. "A co-worker ordered".....if the purchase was through an ECP then there is no debate to settle. Professional advice was given.
          Eyes wide open

Comment

All things being equal, I'd go with the 1.60. However, chances are they're not equal. Prices vary, and asphericity would noticably improve the optics.
            Wes
            Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

Sounds to me like the ECP might have been Brad Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousCat View Post
                Sounds to me like the ECP might have been Brad Scott.
                "Brad Scott", no relation to me.
                Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

Rx's below a combined power of 4 you will not notice much of a thickness difference. But to the trained eye a 1.6 or 1.67 would be slightly thinner. On stock lenses the 1.6/1.67 would have a flatter base curve.

But like eyeman pointed out

Originally posted by eyemanflying View Post
                  Now, all that aside...with such a low abbe, poor optics, high probability of scratching, shorter life span, why would anyone sell poly?

Comment

Originally posted by uncut View Post
                    Too much time on your hands, in the office????? If you were eyecare professionals there would be no debate. "A co-worker ordered".....if the purchase was through an ECP then there is no debate to settle. Professional advice was given.
                    During call shifts at 2am, yes, we do have a lot of time on our hands. And we are not eyecare professionals, just lowly opthamology residents. The glasses were ordered online, so no professional advice was dispensed.

As for the other questions, longevity of the lenses is not a major concern as they are only needed for the next 3 months or so. The previous material worn was contact lenses. Affordability was not an issue, there was only a $10 difference between the 1.59 polycarbonate and 1.61 high index.

Comment

During call shifts at 2am, yes, we do have a lot of time on our hands. And we are not eyecare professionals, just lowly opthamology residents. The glasses were ordered online, so no professional advice was dispensed.

As for the other questions, longevity of the lenses is not a major concern as they are only needed for the next 3 months or so. The previous material worn was contact lenses. Affordability was not an issue, there was only a $10 difference between the 1.59 polycarbonate and 1.61 high index.
                      You're in the process of becoming an eye care professional and your first instinct was to order prescription eyewear online? Would you also advise that I consult WebMD for health care and order any necessary medication online from an offshore pharmacy?

Comment

just lowly opthamology residents.
                        Yeah that can't spell Ophthalmology, great you sell online and lie. If I can convince you not to ship them you would have a crooked dispenser trifecta.
                        1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
                        1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
                        1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Comment

What about the frame measurements and pd???? Type of frame semi, metal or plastic????

Since the axis is around X90 the thickness will reside more towards the top and bottom and the edge thickness won't be *** thick.

I would think the 1.67 would be unnecessary and would stick to 1.61 over the 1.59 for better optics, not knowing any of the above detailed information.

Comment

@op:

Just in case you are wondering how hazardous my family believes internet purchasing is............All members of my family and staff have a question for all Healthcare providers. Are you wearing internet purchased eyewear?

If they answer yes, they are asked to step aside and are not allowed to administer healthcare to them! This goes for all dentists, nurses, and attendants of care in hospitals.
                            Eyes wide open

Comment

If professional advice was not needed when the lenses were ordered........why is it needed now? In the words of Forest Gump "Stupid is, as stupid does"! I smell a rat. Either Shoshanna was not telling the truth on the profile given, or on the subject of current employment which appears in this thread.......or perhaps both!
                              "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
                              Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
                              www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Comment

Working...
                              X