Thread: polycarbonate vs. high index

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

polycarbonate vs. high index

I was wondering if anyone would like to settle a debate in our office. A co-worker with the prescription below ordered 1.59 polycarbonate lenses while others argued that the 1.61 or 1.67 high index lenses would have been a noticeably better choice. What are your thoughts?

-325 -050 105
    -300 -075 85

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The Rx is certainly ideal for all 3. However, there are so many variables for such a decision...patient affordability, application of use (safety?), previous material, availability (maybe poly was in stock and they needed it fast?) etc.

Now, all that aside...with such a low abbe, poor optics, high probability of scratching, shorter life span, why would anyone sell poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By "noticeably better choice" I assume you mean cosmetically. In that case along with proper frame fit the 1.67 would be my preference.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    eyemanflying +1

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoshanna View Post
    I was wondering if anyone would like to settle a debate in our office. A co-worker with the prescription below ordered 1.59 polycarbonate lenses while others argued that the 1.61 or 1.67 high index lenses would have been a noticeably better choice. What are your thoughts?

-325 -050 105
    -300 -075 85
    Too much time on your hands, in the office????? If you were eyecare professionals there would be no debate. "A co-worker ordered".....if the purchase was through an ECP then there is no debate to settle. Professional advice was given.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    All things being equal, I'd go with the 1.60. However, chances are they're not equal. Prices vary, and asphericity would noticably improve the optics.
    Wes
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds to me like the ECP might have been Brad Scott.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Sounds to me like the ECP might have been Brad Scott.
    "Brad Scott", no relation to me.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Rx's below a combined power of 4 you will not notice much of a thickness difference. But to the trained eye a 1.6 or 1.67 would be slightly thinner. On stock lenses the 1.6/1.67 would have a flatter base curve.

But like eyeman pointed out

Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    Now, all that aside...with such a low abbe, poor optics, high probability of scratching, shorter life span, why would anyone sell poly?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Too much time on your hands, in the office????? If you were eyecare professionals there would be no debate. "A co-worker ordered".....if the purchase was through an ECP then there is no debate to settle. Professional advice was given.
    During call shifts at 2am, yes, we do have a lot of time on our hands. And we are not eyecare professionals, just lowly opthamology residents. The glasses were ordered online, so no professional advice was dispensed.

As for the other questions, longevity of the lenses is not a major concern as they are only needed for the next 3 months or so. The previous material worn was contact lenses. Affordability was not an issue, there was only a $10 difference between the 1.59 polycarbonate and 1.61 high index.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    During call shifts at 2am, yes, we do have a lot of time on our hands. And we are not eyecare professionals, just lowly opthamology residents. The glasses were ordered online, so no professional advice was dispensed.

As for the other questions, longevity of the lenses is not a major concern as they are only needed for the next 3 months or so. The previous material worn was contact lenses. Affordability was not an issue, there was only a $10 difference between the 1.59 polycarbonate and 1.61 high index.
    You're in the process of becoming an eye care professional and your first instinct was to order prescription eyewear online? Would you also advise that I consult WebMD for health care and order any necessary medication online from an offshore pharmacy?

Occupation
    just lowly opthamology residents.
    Yeah that can't spell Ophthalmology, great you sell online and lie. If I can convince you not to ship them you would have a crooked dispenser trifecta.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What about the frame measurements and pd???? Type of frame semi, metal or plastic????

Since the axis is around X90 the thickness will reside more towards the top and bottom and the edge thickness won't be *** thick.

I would think the 1.67 would be unnecessary and would stick to 1.61 over the 1.59 for better optics, not knowing any of the above detailed information.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @op:

Just in case you are wondering how hazardous my family believes internet purchasing is............All members of my family and staff have a question for all Healthcare providers. Are you wearing internet purchased eyewear?

If they answer yes, they are asked to step aside and are not allowed to administer healthcare to them! This goes for all dentists, nurses, and attendants of care in hospitals.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If professional advice was not needed when the lenses were ordered........why is it needed now? In the words of Forest Gump "Stupid is, as stupid does"! I smell a rat. Either Shoshanna was not telling the truth on the profile given, or on the subject of current employment which appears in this thread.......or perhaps both!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yeah, I think we've outed a consumer.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    1. I am not the one buying the lenses from the online source. As I stated in my original thread, this is a co-worker. So, the comments about how stupid it is to buy internet eyewear are not relevant to me or my profession.

2. I am not seeking professional advice here. If I wanted professional advice, I'd go to an actual optometrist, not to an online message board. The only reason why I decided to post is because we were having this ridiculous conversation at 2am when our co-worker was contemplating buying the glasses (note the original time that this message was posted.) After doing a google search, I thought, WTH, maybe someone is awake. It's also not a matter of grand importance to this person, as she ordered them anyhow, but she was later curious. No changes are going to be made based upon what was told here, we were just generally curious.

3. As for my mispelling, drats. It's called a typo. But, if that's all you need to discern my profession, so be it. Just makes me glad that you do not hold responsibilities in the legal field.

As for those that answered, thanks.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just figured you would at least be able to spell the profession to which you aspire, particularly because that is the single spelling error most rookies and most consumers make. Not to worry, you are not the first to make it. I would, however, be somewhat concerned that an ophthalmology resident would not know where to find the information needed, and perhaps more concerned that the resident did not already have that information. Stupid is as stupid does is only relevant to one who has misrepresented himself in order to post a consumer question in an eyecare professional's bulliten board. If an ophthalmology resident chooses to go to an "actual optometrist" for advice that is certainly their right.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 10-08-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: fix typo
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    1. I am not the one buying the lenses from the online source. As I stated in my original thread, this is a co-worker. So, the comments about how stupid it is to buy internet eyewear are not relevant to me or my profession. If you ever become a doctor and not just a resident, internet eyewear will become relevant to you and your profession. At least you admit that you aren't an eyecare professional.

2. I am not seeking professional advice here. If I wanted professional advice, I'd go to an actual optometrist, not to an online message board. The only reason why I decided to post is because we were having this ridiculous conversation at 2am when our co-worker was contemplating buying the glasses (note the original time that this message was posted.) After doing a google search, I thought, WTH, maybe someone is awake. It's also not a matter of grand importance to this person, as she ordered them anyhow, but she was later curious. No changes are going to be made based upon what was told here, we were just generally curious. No, if you wanted professional eyewear advice you'd go to an optician. Also, (and I know you don't care), perhaps purchasing eyewear when you're sleep deprived at 2am is not the best time to be doing something that will affect your ability to see....I think this is good advice for anyone, but ESPECIALLY for people who will be needed really good eyesight to perform surgery.....

3. As for my mispelling, drats. It's called a typo. But, if that's all you need to discern my profession, so be it. Just makes me glad that you do not hold responsibilities in the legal field. Yeah, spelling's not important, especially when writing out prescriptions for patients....who cares if they get the correct medication or not. Just wheel them in, wheel them out, and collect from their insurance companies.....

As for those that answered, thanks. You're welcome.
    Polycarbonate has the worst optics of any plastic lens material. 1.60 is much better. There will not be a very noticable cosmetic difference (1.60 again will be better, but only slightly.) The Rx, in my view, is not high enough to warrant 1.67.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1.60...no question

Occupation

Occupation
    Consumer imposter internet shopper or not, this thread started with a relevant question relating to materials. I would say the consensus weighs on the side of 1.60

Thread Information