Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vision Expo East 2002...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Vision Expo East 2002...

Ah, living off the M&Ms at the Marchon booth and watching the "beautiful people" of the world pushing their frames, lenses, equipment, etc. at you- it could only have been Vision Expo!

It was great seeing everyone at the LIVE booth!

As to the show itself, it seemed to me that there just weren't as many people there as have been in years gone by. Most of the female reps I had conversations with offered the same observation- "When you can walk right into the bathrooms at Expo without waiting in line, its slow."

There also didn't seem to be as many "new and exciting innovative" products introduced at the show this year (except, of course, for LIVE EyeWears new 6 & 7 series)! Regardless, if it was optical related, there was a plethora of it to be had at Vision Expo.

So, what did everyone think? Other than the five or six hours I can't seem to recall, it was a very pleasant weekend, and as usual it was great to put faces with the names one has grown so familiar with...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately, I went on Sunday when things started to taper off even more. I didn't see Harry J; although, he saw me. I stopped by the Live Booth and met the folks there. Pretty cool booth if I must say so; good music, good food and beads! The 6 and 7 series are good looking!

Like yourself, I found the M&M's at the Marchon booth. After all of the hype here on OptiBoard, I had to stop by the Costa Del Mar booth only to feet let down after I found out most of the lenses are from the same major polarized manufacturer that we use normally. I think the only lenses that were special were the two Wave lenses. The only "gotta have" that I saw were the Nickelodeon kids' frames. They glow in the dark and have neat temple treatments based on all of the shows.

Next time, I think I will have to take a bit of vacation time and stay for the weekend. The city was nice; it left us feeling that once it gets warmer out we want to go back and just spend the day or the weekend tooling around. We only got ripped off by one of the three cabs we used so it wasn't too bad. Too bad you all went home; we have snow today and its very pretty.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Too bad you all went home; we have snow today and its very pretty.
    Ah, I remember the stuff... very pretty indeed (till you have to shovel it)!

Sometimes I yearn for the good ole days when I lived up North. I have to admit, however, when I boarded the plane at LaGuardia in NYC (shivering, because I had packed my coat so I wouldn't have to carry it on) and landed in Tallahassee (temperature a nice 73 degrees even at 8:30pm, thank you very much), I instantly remembered why I moved down here!

Anyway, here's a pic of the OptiBoard gang up at Expo (courtesy of Harry Jilson)!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question Names please

Ok i can see Pete (dressed up as ever) Steve ( The king on his thrown...) and Hj (clever guy taking as well as in the pic) but who are the rest...:cheers:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Okay, as you mentioned, I'm on the far left (and don't be treadin' on my button-fly Levi's, mister- Saturday was casual day for me!), JackieL is next, Bev is next (staying in the back row), HarryJ, a fine gentleman whose name I failed to catch (I'm horrid with names), Dave (our host at Live Eyewear), and Shwing. In the front, we have Steve and HarryS.

There were several more of us in attendance, who had to "visit and run" to their various meetings, classes, political coups or whatever...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Pete Said "Sometimes I yearn for the good ole days when I lived up North. I have to admit, however, when I boarded the plane at LaGuardia in NYC (shivering, because I had packed my coat so I wouldn't have to carry it on) and landed in Tallahassee (temperature a nice 73 degrees even at 8:30pm, thank you very much), I instantly remembered why I moved down here!"

So, Are you saying alls I have to do to get you back up here is guarentee temperatures in the mid to low 70's? I thought you moved down there to get away from me.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So Pete, where was LaurieC????? Still sleeping it off in the suite???????:p
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Pete,

Time for me to jump in. The fella you couldn't place a name to I beleve is Jerry Huang (pardon my spelling Jerry if wrong)

:)

Laurie C was there and many others who missed this shot because of time constraints. Pete was still recovering from the night before with Laurie and husband.

I enjoyed meeting every one and had a great time with everyone.

Now the next post is.......... :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile faces

:D That is Jerry Huang standing next to harry J and in back of harry Saake. I forgot to mention in my last post the whole trip was worth it to meet Jerry, a one of a kind guy, next tiome your at one of these affairs meet Jerry, you will enjoy it.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Crier LaurieC seeking time for sleeping it off some where

cah2020 said:
    So Pete, where was LaurieC????? Still sleeping it off in the suite???????:p
    I was one of the ones running off to things everywhichway. In ten days I added up 182 hours of direct work related activity. Never obligating myself this heavy again!:hammer:

Occupation
    Bev Heishman said:
    Hey Pete,

Laurie C was there and many others who missed this shot because of time constraints. Pete was still recovering from the night before with Laurie and husband.
    Ah yes, Pete was a work of art when attending the Optical Shop of Aspen "Chrome Hearts" party at the Whiskey Bar. I think once he experienced the coed bathroom it was all amazement from there. I hope the cab driver who promised to get you home per our instructions followed it!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I hope the cab driver who promised to get you home per our instructions followed it!
    It deserves noting that the safest people in the world to "go out" with are Laurie and Jim Chreitzberg! First, I think it must be physically impossible to inebriate them, and second they always make sure you get home in one piece.

All I'll say about the "Chrome Hearts" party is:
    1.) I am GOING to rent Harrison Ford's BladeRunner
    2.) NEVER eat sushi while drinking (especially if the only thing you ate during the day was a cup of M&Ms)
    3.) Allie McBeal can keep her coed bathrooms
    and 4.) WOW!

:D
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Pete Hanlin said:
    2.) NEVER eat sushi while drinking (especially if the only thing you ate during the day was a cup of M&Ms)
    How about never go out drinking after only eating a cup of M&Ms all day! ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve Machol said:
    How about never go out drinking after only eating a cup of M&Ms all day! ;)

Or a better idea-DON'T EAT BAIT! :p
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Or a better idea-DON'T EAT BAIT!
    Precisely! Actually, it was just one those moments when you think to yourself "Oh, I'm in trouble here- cause I know I wouldn't like this stuff if I had all my facilities in good working order!"

BTW, Steve- I have reconfirmed that you WERE just "yanking my chain." Apparently, the little voice that keeps me from doing anything too fun was still functioning just fine all weekend! Nevertheless, as is usual when one is around Laurie and company, it was an interesting, educational, and fun experience!
    :D
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Big Smile

Pete Hanlin said: BTW, Steve- I have reconfirmed that you WERE just "yanking my chain."
    Hey, all I know is what Laurie and Jim told me. Have you considered the possibility that they are protecting you from something? ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sushi??? You had Sushi?!?

I love Sushi. Drinking or not there is nothing that gives off as much aroma and flavor as Sushi, sorry. I will have to agree with Steve however, when you eat only M&M's all day long you're toast for drinking at the end of the night.

Perhaps if Laurie and Jim are the drinkin' type I need to meet them then ;) My kind of folks. I will say in Pete's defense that even on his smallish frame and a full stomach he held his own pretty well on our last meeting. I'm no alcoholic but I can put it away when I'm in the mood to and I was definitely in the groove in N.O. and Pete stayed right along with me, that was until he passed out while I was talking to him back at the hotel ;)

Anyway Pete has passed the "I survived being around Darris and Chad and didn't even get arrested" test so who will be the next victi...participant (Keep in mind Pete you will have to be there too since you are now the third in the crew ;)

Seriously Chad and I had hoped to be able to make this VE but it just wasn't in the cards. It sounds like we missed a great time and missed meeting a lot of great people in a city I haven't been to in years. The city that never sleeps which I witnessed up close and personal the last time I was there and found out why they say that about it. I wouldn't want to live there but it is the place to go.

Take care and remember Pete can out run most of you without even taking a breath. Not to mention, if he was hungover the whole time then I'm very proud of him :)

Darris C.

Occupation

VEE 2002 Pics Now Online!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation

Stick out tongue The real truth and nothing but the truth

Darris Chambless said:
    Sushi??? You had Sushi?!?

Yes he did but in all honesty, Jim tried to discourage him, or as Jim says, "I only eat my Sushi well cooked. " I, however having a stomach of steel, said "oh you must try this Pete"

Perhaps if Laurie and Jim are the drinkin' type I need to meet them then ;)Well, honey, I've been wanting to meet you for ages, almost figured if we were ever single, we belonged together!
    My kind of folks. I will say in Pete's defense that even on his smallish frame and a full stomach he held his own pretty well on our last meeting.
    Well, not if it's wine!

Anyway Pete has passed the "I survived being around Darris and Chad and didn't even get arrested" test so who will be the next victi...participant (Keep in mind Pete you will have to be there too since you are now the third in the crew ;)
    Yes, but given two opportunitties, has he passed the I was with Jim and Laurie test and remembered half od anything?

Not to mention, if he was hungover the whole time then I'm very proud of him :)

Darris C.
    The facts on the hangover and the other missing five hours: Whiskey Bar is owned by Cindy Crawford's husband and is oh so chic:( Larry Sands (OSA) and the developer of Chrome Hearts are aging hippies worth tons of money that are oh so "cool":hammer:
    Jim and I are aging conservatives so Pete works with us just fine, if it wasn't business we wouldn't be caught dead in a place where you stand in line for two hours to be told you're not "it enough to get in after all". And I can assure you, if there wasn't accounts involved, they'd laugh at me, before turning me away.

That said, Pete was trying to learn to drink wine. So Jim coached him on wine while I coached sushi. These items are probably best learned apart. Pete's jaw only dropped minimally through movie theatre size Blade Runner going while walking over reactive plasma screen tiles, while a rastafarian lectured me on international product development cycles. But all of a sudden he hit the coed restroom, wanted to know what the waitress would charge for a *** dance, ran into a drag queen without realizing that's what he was, and by the time we poured him into the cab, he didn't know where he was staying (luckily I did) didn't know where on his body he hid his cash for the taxi (luckily I knew where mine was) and was calling Jim "Dad" Jim is a considerably larger guy than Pete, so it was fortunate that Jim really is old enough to be Pete's Dad or it might have been very ugly at that point.

Hey Pete: We love ya man:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well. What a weekend. I don’t think I could have handled any more excitement. Where to begin?

The show itself was unremarkable, in that I saw virtually nothing of it. As I was there alone, and as an exhibitor, I was rather tied to my booth. That said I did manage an off day on the Friday. I had pre-shipped my display, but apparently it was held at customs for over 5 days, and then was lost. Ask me how happy I was.

As I had no display or material, I went sightseeing on Friday. Ground Zero was staggering. That is all I can say. Had a 'blast' bounding around lower and mid Manhattan. Brought back a lot of memories (it had been 20 years since I had been to N.Y.)

Saturday, my promotional materials arrived, so I went to convention with at least something to hand out. The meeting at the Live Eyewear booth was great. So much better to be able to place faces with names.

I thank you, Bev, for the dinner invite. For the record everyone, Bev was NOT arrest for prostitution (twice)…

Harry J., it was a pleasure meeting you and you proved to me that it is true that whether one takes the express or normal train in life, we DO all get to the same destination.

Steve, what can I say? It was such a treat to meet yourself and your lovely wife. Pete, buddy. Seems that great minds do think alike. I had fun comparing and contrasting Canada and the U.S.

Harry S., Laurie, Jackie, Kev, everyone else, I’m glad we could meet, if not stay and chat more.

I had as many problems getting out of N.Y. as I did getting my stuff in. Also, apparently the random security screening is just that. As I was handing over my boarding pass, I was asked to step aside and was thoroughly searched (gloved hands in jacket pockets, ick!), including my shoes. Yup, I guess the parka, two laptops, Canadian passport, reddish hair, faded freckles on pasty white skin were all hallmarks of an Islamic terrorist…

I had the pleasure of returning to –29C weather (-21F). Ask me how happy I am. Go on ask…

Anyway, was a great (and very expensive) trip. I look forward to the next one. Anyone coming to the Toronto show in April?? Still not too late to sign up, and as the U.S. greenback is worth about $1.54 Canadian, it is a steal of a deal!
    Shwing

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Am I ever sorry that I could not make the party but, your stories sorta make me feel that I was there anyway.

The comment about the snow reminded me...I believe it was 10 years ago this month when the plane crashed on takeoff from La Guardia after VEE. A moment of silence for our fallen too...

LaurieC: 182 hours in 10 days. You're starting to bill like a lawyer!

Harry: Was nice meeting you at the Transitions party; wish we'd had more time to talk and to relive our B&L lives.

Pete: Lauries description of your nite on the town is hilarious! I'm still smiling.

I guess "retirement" was short for me. I'm now "consulting" for a couple high tech companies. One has 4-axis single-point diamond lathing equipment and softwear that can sculpture a PAL onto the backside of a SFSV lens. The other a liquid, spin-coat AR coating. Who said there wasn't much new? You folks gotta get over to the equipment where THINGS ARE HAPPENING!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sorry I missed some of you ...

Wasn't prepared for New York traffic so arrived late on Friday and then took courses starting at 2. Did get to see Steve and meet Pete. Saturday AM I took courses but had to leave for an opera date. Went by the booth but no one was there. Checked in also at 5Pm - zipo.

Did meet Laurie P, Jackie L, & Bev H. at other venues.

Gave my courses on Sunday 8:30 to 2:15 and then off to the airport.

We'll have to try again. Expo W?

Steve & Henry, Thanks for the photos!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Shwing,

You are welcome for the dinner invite. My staff was telling my doc's today about you calling my room and identifying yourself as Shwing when I wasn't there. They thought it was a complimentary service from the hotel. We all had a great time.

Now we did forget to tell everyone about our sight seeing tour at the Marriott. Are they real or what?? and Pete getting up drink in hand and traveling to the area where the anacondas were and taking in an arial view. And don't forget our drag queen parade on the way out.

See you! After the problem with the INS here this week I guess you could Nanuk of the North a new terrorist sect. Just kidding.
    Bev:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Why am i smiling

:cheers: HarryJ, why am i smiling, its easy, im with the beautiful Laurie Peirce, need i say more

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to say the OptiBoarder who looks nothing like I would have imagined them to look is Jerry Huang. Jerry, after you said you built custom motorcycles; I immediately formed an image of you looking like Jessie James. I don't know if you have ever met him out there in CA or seen the Discovery Channel special about his bikes. Then Harry posts the pictures from the meeting and there's Jerry. No tattos, no black leather - none of that biker stuff.

Thread Information