Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pixeloptics auto focus glasses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Pixeloptics auto focus glasses

Hello, I´m a spanish optometrist, sorry if my english is not very good.
    I was talking past mounth with the pixeloptics commercial (in spain optical technology) about the autofocus glasses of this company. He said me that in Europe the launching of this product will be on the first trimester of 2011, and in USA actually pixeloptics is testing this glasses in patients, and next november it will be on sale oficially.
    As I am a little impatient :angry: I request you if someone could give me information about the way in which this glasses will be commercialized, if is necessary a high investment initial, and other interesting information.
    Thank you and spanish greetings.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by juanpe View Post
    Hello, I´m a spanish optometrist, sorry if my english is not very good.
    I was talking past mounth with the pixeloptics commercial (in spain optical technology) about the autofocus glasses of this company. He said me that in Europe the launching of this product will be on the first trimester of 2011, and in USA actually pixeloptics is testing this glasses in patients, and next november it will be on sale oficially.
    As I am a little impatient :angry: I request you if someone could give me information about the way in which this glasses will be commercialized, if is necessary a high investment initial, and other interesting information.
    Thank you and spanish greetings.

I suggest that you use none of their products unless you want unhappy patients.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    I suggest that you use none of their products unless you want unhappy patients.
    I"ve been reading some things about these and the other brand (trufocals?), and this is interesting. Have you used/seen them? I've been looking for non-commercialized firsthand accounts of the products, and with the recent news that NASA was testing both for their astronauts, they've come up again.

Of course, NASA tests almost everything for their program, and almost nothing passes, but just wondering.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thank you for your answers. I think that we´ll have to wait for the opinion of the first users in order to see if this glasses really work well. Could someone confirm to me if this glasses will be on sale next November?
    Respect the trufocals, this product isn´t on sale in Spain, and in USA?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The office I work for, hasn't had any success with their modified bifocal, AtLast. I would wait and see on this one. The company I work for is SUPPOSE to be selling it when it comes out.... I wonder how well it will go over with patients.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Will have to stock special frames for the emPower lenses and total packages sound like they should be in the $800-$1000 range in US dollars. The lens will have a low add power that will increase in power when a sensor in the frame detects tilting as in looking down to read. Sounds like this lens will initially launch in the NC/VA/SC region. Pretty heavy on the co-marketing with Essilor so far, not so sure I want in on the initial launch of this product or not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shwing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shwing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Staying far far away from this one. sounds alot like the Sola/Safilo concept of the enigma lens (?) looked cool to all us optical geeks but was a hole to throw money into for the office. Pixel has been and shall remain a loser.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've seen it. It's amazing; like science fiction on your face. You can either set it on autofocus or manually switch by swiping a sensor on the temple.

From my understanding, the frames involved will all be manufactured by Aspex.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hm-m-m-m-m-...pixel and aspex????? what a winner....Not!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this the lens that was recently featured on the Yahoo home page? The one that changes focus due to liquid between lenses?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Is this the lens that was recently featured on the Yahoo home page? The one that changes focus due to liquid between lenses?
    No. This is an LCD-based adjustable focus progressive.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm concerned it will prove to be extremely expensive and a warranty nightmare. I can hear it now: "The lenses won't change power when I want them to."

Also, there are only 48 frame skus available presently. It may be a good time to sit on the sidelines for a while to see how this product pans out.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I'm concerned it will prove to be extremely expensive and a warranty nightmare.
    Very possible. But the lens is still hella cool.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by 2020idock View Post
    The lens will have a low add power that will increase in power when a sensor in the frame detects tilting as in looking down to read. .
    If it´s like you say, what could happen when a usuary need to read something near in front of him without looking down?

About the glasses I can tell you that we´ll be able to send it without the auto-focus system, and this is very interesting because its high price with auto-focus will make it hard to sell.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I'm concerned it will prove to be extremely expensive and a warranty nightmare. I can hear it now: "The lenses won't change power when I want them to."
    Not to mention Insurance claims "I was driving along the Freeway and all of a sudden I lost focus......."!!
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hello again,
    I´ve read that this glasses were presented in the electronic fair in Las Vegas, and it was choosen the more usefull product. Have someone of you tested this glasses?
    Have you any news about when it will be on sale in USA?
    Thank you.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by IC-UC View Post
    Not to mention Insurance claims "I was driving along the Freeway and all of a sudden I lost focus......."!!
    I don't think that could happen. If you were driving on the freeway and the electricity ran out (because the battery was low), you would only lose your reading segment in the lower part of the lens. That would revert to it's "no voltage state", which is intermediate vision. (If I understand the Pixel Optics emPower! design correctly.)

http://www.pixeloptics.com/pages/ele...c_eyewear.html

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up The Superfocus was sent up with the shuttle and passed the NASA tests!

Quote Originally Posted by Geirskogul View Post
    I"ve been reading some things about these and the other brand (trufocals?), and this is interesting. Have you used/seen them? I've been looking for non-commercialized firsthand accounts of the products, and with the recent news that NASA was testing both for their astronauts, they've come up again.

Of course, NASA tests almost everything for their program, and almost nothing passes, but just wondering.
    NASA sent up the Superfocus and we are still waiting to see an Empower lens in a prescription.

Craig

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

US Optical to Manufacturer PixelOptics Autofocus Lenses

OptoIQ reports that “US Optical signed an agreement with PixelOptics (Roanoke, VA) to manufacture emPower, PixelOptics' patented electronic [autofocus] eyeglass lenses, starting with the launch of the US Southeast region around April 4, 2011. . ..[It uses] composite lenses with a thin LCD-like transparent layer, microchips, micro-machine accelerometers, and miniature rechargeable batteries. It provides vision correction reportedly for all ranges of sight.”

http://www.optoiq.com/index/photonic...xelOptics.html
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 03-04-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

OptoIQ reports that “US Optical signed an agreement with PixelOptics (Roanoke, VA) to manufacture emPower, PixelOptics' patented electronic [autofocus] eyeglass lenses, starting with the launch of the US Southeast region around April 4, 2011. . ..[It uses] composite lenses with a thin LCD-like transparent layer, microchips, micro-machine accelerometers, and miniature rechargeable batteries. It provides vision correction reportedly for all ranges of sight.”

As did Luzerne Optical, Robertson Optical and Pech Optical...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

¡¡¡Thank you!!!, :D someone could tell something about the sale price, conditions...?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hello juanpe. Suggest that you contact PixelOptics directly using the contact information on this web page:
    http://www.pixeloptics.com/pages/contact.html

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am the New England rep for US Optical. The Empower lens should be released in the southeast in April or May and the Northeast region in the summer. The lenses will retail for $1200.
    Money carefully refunded

Thread Information