Thread: Argggggghhhhhh!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Argggggghhhhhh!

I have a pt who may as well be an engineer. He is not an eyecare professional, but he peruses OB when researching his next pair of glasses. Fine, good. Knows what he wants. Free form, high index, bla bla.

Here's my problem: he's currently wearing a ten year old titanium modo frame, 44-21-150, with a b= 35. no hinge. and OF COURSE he want's a similar frame. I have accounts with safilo, marchon, kenmark, silhouette, clearvision, aspex, l'amy. can not find anything remotely the same that has the same feel. Any suggestions? He's willing to lower himself into a stainless steel frame, but it needs to feel rigid.

Help please!!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    What's worse, he's reading this since its posted in the general forum!
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Atleast he can see she's going to bat for him.

*grabs popcorn*

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yeah, so i'm tired and didn't even think about hat. poo.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Closest I was able to find was a Hilco Titanium Safety Frame SG404T 49-19-135, B=30.

I sell a lot of those and I've never yet had one come back.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel for you!

I constantly look for this type of frame and like you find it impossible to find these days.

I wind up explaining that the frame manufacturers are looking at a pure business model of how quickly they can sell through the production and are unwilling to invest in a model that may take twice as long to sell as the middle of the road frame everyone else is producing.

Charmant had a titanium series they discontinued a few years ago that was just what you are looking for and I wish they'd bring them back! They were the 83 and 8400's series as I recall.

Some of the Silhouette Adidas grooved might work. Good luck!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    by the way, kind, kind sir, if you are reading this and you are my patient, i'm frustrated at the frame, not you :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    by the way, kind, kind sir, if you are reading this and you are my patient, i'm frustrated at the frame, not you :)
    Nice recovery.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are we saying, no hinge as in a silhouette rimless has no hinge or do the temples simply not close?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they are like the silhouette minimal art (bowed temples-no hinge) I have 3 frames by BUM they say they are made of "energized magnesium".They are semi-rimless 1.color-cobalt eye-45 dbl-19 B-28. 2.color-black eye-48 dbl-20 B-30 3.color-cognac eye-45 dbl-19 B-30

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Boy I'm a real dunce today. First, insult my patient, then, i'm just dumb (must be the blonde that i used to pay to be). Patient doesn't want a spring hinge, but doesn't like a silhouette hinge. I was looking on their website for their non drill frames, but couldn't seem to find them (see above blonde comment). There are a few in my other office i'm gonna check out, but I'm thinking I'm not going to find much. oh, and we want a gunmetal-ish color and matte.

I'd rather someone know what they want than have a person who just stares at me hoping I'll magically pull from their brain what they are looking for.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd rather someone know what they want than have a person who just stares at me hoping I'll magically pull from their brain what they are looking for.
    Amen! I love it when someone says, "I dunno what 'm looking for but the 1,000+ frames in your optical won't cut it." Gahhhh! *runs screaming into the woods*

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ....and the one that takes all thousand frames off the bars, tries on each one,(not necessarily gently, I might add) and growls "I'll know which one when I see it"

:hammer::hammer:Aaarrgh

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about after they look at all 1000 frames, and then choose the first they tried on?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about after they look at all 1000 frames, and then choose the first you recommended [they] tried on?

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Amen! I love it when someone says, "I dunno what 'm looking for but the 1,000+ frames in your optical won't cut it." Gahhhh! *runs screaming into the woods*

Haha, I always get the patient who says "All your glasses look the same, why don't you get some more variety?"
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really needed a good giggle today and this series of posts fit the bill perfectly......doncha' just love this business? :)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm intrigued about the hingless aspect. Did these come in a bag type case or did you have to fold them into something to store them?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My eyes always cross when I get the pt. that "wants something different" to then turn down every recommendation I give them but finally finding what they've been looking for. "Madam, that just happens to be your same frame in a different color." I love it!
    ...just point your nose to whatever you're looking at...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...or how about the patient that has to make decisions by committee? They bring their entire family (especially their petulant teenager and/or rambunctious toddler) and poll everyone who works in the office. :bbg:

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I'm intrigued about the hingless aspect. Did these come in a bag type case or did you have to fold them into something to store them?
    I hate hingless drill mounts :angry:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't think it's a drill mount.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I have a pt who may as well be an engineer. He is not an eyecare professional, but he peruses OB when researching his next pair of glasses. Fine, good. Knows what he wants. Free form, high index, bla bla.

Here's my problem: he's currently wearing a ten year old titanium modo frame, 44-21-150, with a b= 35. no hinge. and OF COURSE he want's a similar frame. I have accounts with safilo, marchon, kenmark, silhouette, clearvision, aspex, l'amy. can not find anything remotely the same that has the same feel. Any suggestions? He's willing to lower himself into a stainless steel frame, but it needs to feel rigid.

Help please!!
    At the risk of getting my hand slapped for suggesting my own products, have him take a look at some of my frames. The strength and weight (or lack of) of the strip titanium should help to satisfy his engineering urges.
    US distributor for Copenhagen Eyes handmade titanium frames http://www.sceye.se/copenhageneyes/index.html

Thread Information