Thread: Where to find Optometrists to sublease?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Where to find Optometrists to sublease?

Hello everyone,

I am new to the board, so I hope this question is posed in the proper forum. We are looking to sublease space at our optical store in California to an optometrist, but really not sure where to start. Any tips to get us started would be greatly appreciated. Couple really basic questions we have are...

1. Where to post so optometrists will know of the opportunity?
    2. How much to charge for sublease, would be just a percentage of our own rent? I know this question sounds basic, we are not sure of what standard industry practices are.

3. Can we provide administrative services? For example, provide a receptionist to answer phones, book appointments, bill insurance?

4. Can we provide staff to do pre-testing? Or anything to do with patient care would strictly be on the responsiblity of optometrist?

Thank you for all your questions. I know these may be basic questions, so any insight would be appreciated.

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Just my 2 cents but

1- i'm not sure there.,,, gonna have to get it from sombody else

2 - I think most places charge a flat rent... but what that is im not sure because you have to base that off how many pt's you are see'ing

3 - have the Optomitrist hire thier own staff for that... but also include your staff on setting up exams. it helps everyone when your exam book is full.

4 - again have the Optomitrist hire staff.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Talk to an attorney that is familiar with such setups. Also, consult an accountant who is educated on such situations. Do not trust a bunch of Internet wingnuts with this kind of serious issue!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpnlu View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am new to the board, so I hope this question is posed in the proper forum. We are looking to sublease space at our optical store in California to an optometrist, but really not sure where to start. Any tips to get us started would be greatly appreciated. Couple really basic questions we have are...

1. Where to post so optometrists will know of the opportunity?
    Try this optometry.berkeley.edu/opt_txtpp/positions_practices/positions_nonopt_list.html

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    For finding the optometrist......Ask your frame reps and lab reps. They know who is available and will steer you away from problem individuals with a reputation.

You never know what an advertisement will bring in.

Harry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I found mine years ago at the local College of Opt. Easy to post an add...and free to boot.

Regarding the rest. Laws vary from state to state. You're going to want to avoid "fee-splitting" at all costs. The easy around this is to have a month to month "rental" agreement with the Doc.
    PM me if you want to talk about this. I've been an Optician/Owner for 20 years.
    I've got a "feeling" Kalifornia isn't going to be as "friendly" as some other states.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think CA is a two door state so you want to check into that, post on ODwire.org ask the state optometric society if they have a listing, and troll the schools looking for recent grads, also the local VA those guys/gals get burnt out really quick and will often jump ship quick which means you may be able to leverage their situation to your advantage. I agree with the no splitting splitting and there may be laws against that in your state. Check with your attorney if you do get a bite and set up something iron clad to avoid issues in the future. Don't forget a non-compete clause so the guy doesn't try to take your patients in a year or two. Also CA is heavy VSP so if you are gonna try and get on panels the OD has to have I believe 51% stake in the practice. Not a ideal situation but I have heard of people setting up B stocks that have no voting privledges and selling them to the OD so their may exist options around that. Lots of homework to do before you set out, but the wingnuts here are good for quick and dirty advice only everything needs to be run through your attorney. Luckily CA has many attorneys, good luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinkerman View Post
    I've got a "feeling" Kalifornia isn't going to be as "friendly" as some other states.
    I thought that in Kalifornia, ODs and opticians cannot have any partner relationship except that OD can hire opticians. That including no landlord-tenant between opticians and ODs.

I know in Costco/WM, the ODs are independent. In many chain stores, they are 2 subsidiaries under one corporation. I do not know how independent opticians "hire" ODs (other than fake OD as the business owner) in Kalifornia.

Anyone know for sure, please let me know.
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mrpnlu, I wanted to follow up with you regarding this post. Did you end up subleasing your space to an optometrist? I appreciate your response. I am interested in doing the same thing

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinkerman View Post
    I found mine years ago at the local College of Opt. Easy to post an add...and free to boot.

Regarding the rest. Laws vary from state to state. You're going to want to avoid "fee-splitting" at all costs. The easy around this is to have a month to month "rental" agreement with the Doc.
    PM me if you want to talk about this. I've been an Optician/Owner for 20 years.
    If you are still active on opti-board, I would like to get more info from you please.

Thread Information