Thread: Help! Letters of Recommendation for Optometry School

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Idea Help! Letters of Recommendation for Optometry School

Hi I'm new to the forum but was hoping that I could reach out for some advice. I am currently applying to Optometry School and am requesting letters of recommendation from a few people but not sure exactly what to tell them I want in my letters.

The current people I am requesting letters from are:

1. An Optometrist, at my previous place of employment ( I worked there 2 years)
    2. Office manager at the same practice
    3. Another Optometrist who I interned/shadowed for a few months

I would love to hear any suggestions you guys have about what should be in these letters to make them stand out and hopefully help me get into school.

Thanks !

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Perhaps most important will be letters from department heads and faculty membersfrom your undergraduate institution. The admissions people are looking for objective rather than personal recommendations.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Perhaps most important will be letters from department heads and faculty membersfrom your undergraduate institution. The admissions people are looking for objective rather than personal recommendations.
    Hmm that is an interesting point, I'm not sure I'm in any position to ask any of them for a LOR because I haven't really had any contact with them. Any advice on going about this ..or is it too late?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel.Earl View Post
    Hmm that is an interesting point, I'm not sure I'm in any position to ask any of them for a LOR because I haven't really had any contact with them. Any advice on going about this ..or is it too late?
    Ask them all, most professors get this request so often and don't even remember last years students that your going to get a form letter either way. Sprinkle that in with a current optom and your golden.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi
    The whole idea about letters of recommendation is that the person writing should recommend you if they think you are worthy of recommendation.
    And if you are worthy they should sing your praises without happening to be prompted.

Also, it's not really the letters that need a stand out is you that needs to stand out in the letters.

Things that the course leaders will be looking for include if you can learn well and quickly, if you can meet deadlines, if you have pay strong attention to detail etc.

Either way, if you have impressed them, then really you should just let them get on with the letter themselves, as they will probably know the kind of things they need to say to impress the course leaders.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would echo the advice to get LORs from former professors and especially a department head where you got your degree. They know what to say. Secondarily, perhaps a clergyman, or an old coach who can attest to your ethics and self motivation. Would I use an LOR from an office manager??...mmmm no, unless it was a fantastic attestation to your moral character.

Thread Information