Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Essilor "freeform" lenses; Premium product, or just high priced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erehwon optical View Post
    I have a new comfort enhanced it feels the same as the "old comfort"
    However I also have what at the time of the order was billed as a "comfort 360" really like this progressive
    low distortion wide mid can't be the same as the enhanced as the wholesaler insists.
    I would like a strait answer too, why is it so difficult?
    There is rarely a simple straight answer!

Some eyes respond more readily to one design over another. I don't know about you but more than once I've changed someone to a newer design only to have the patient insist the old one was better with all the parameters the same. Makes me want to say to them "Who are you going to believe? Your eyes or what the lens designers say is better?"

Also- All molds wear out so it could be that the molds used to create the convex surface which has the add powers in these Comforts could have been at the early or late part of their production life.

Comment

Originally posted by erehwon optical View Post
      I have a new comfort enhanced it feels the same as the "old comfort"
      However I also have what at the time of the order was billed as a "comfort 360" really like this progressive
      low distortion wide mid can't be the same as the enhanced as the wholesaler insists.
      I would like a strait answer too, why is it so difficult?
      Just saw that on the Essilor site:
      The Varilux Comfort 360 New Edition, also known as “Enhanced” in some countries, is a sophisticated version of the Varilux Comfort New Edition. Using the latest technologies ensures all wearers a maximum level of performance for a unique and comfortable vision, whatever the distance, in particular by a wider field of vision, even in complex prescriptions.

Comment

Originally posted by cwinma View Post
        Just saw that on the Essilor site:
        The Varilux Comfort 360 New Edition, also known as “Enhanced” in some countries, is a sophisticated version of the Varilux Comfort New Edition. Using the latest technologies ensures all wearers a maximum level of performance for a unique and comfortable vision, whatever the distance, in particular by a wider field of vision, even in complex prescriptions.
        http://www.varilux.com/en/products/V...teristics.aspx
        in uncut-speake:

Translation from the floral/french to english translation..........We're gonna make them in umpteen different base curves, and we promise not to make them as "flat" as we used to. Heck....we might even call them "corrected curve" lenses.
        Eyes wide open

Comment

dst brand difference in optics

I have worn and tried many different lenses. In this order are my favorites, some DST/others traditional. I am one of those lucky few than can jump around. That being said I do have my top
          Digital Lens
          #1 Zeiss Individiual 2
          #2 Shamir auto II fixed 18

Traditional Technogy
          #3 Varilux Physo 360
          #4 The Ovation

I consider this varilux not truly digital because this lens is only DST on back surface. Consider this as well, because now DST lenses are easy to do now tha the labs have the equipment, many labs will use the same software on traditional lenses because it is easy and less work. Many of us are actually receiving back Digital surfacing and that could be why we don't always pick up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by RT View Post
            That's not entirely true.

There are some Free Form designs that do NOT use SV front. HOYALUX ID, for example, is produced by using Free Form techniques on both the front and the back.

Other lenses use Free Form processing of complex atoric/aspheric surfaces to optimize the optics of a conventional progressive. That is something significantly more than just using digital CNC surface generators for greater accuracy (which have been in use since 1987 and are hardly a new phenomenon).
            There is no inherent advantage in surfacing both sides until we reach mid-higher hyperopes with mid to high adds. We can address some forms of higher order aberration on the front but that will always create a cost to the lens somewhere else...

Comment

It should be noted that the Physio Enhanced, and 360 series are not fully Free-form they are hybrid, some (or all) of the add remains cast on the front. The primary driver for this is not optical performance, but hybrid lenses can bypass some patent/licensing fee restrictions. That is their primary appeal.

Comment

Working...
              X