Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Essilor "freeform" lenses; Premium product, or just high priced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have identical pairs in Shamir Auto II, Hoya Amplitude HD, and Hoya ID LIfestyle. My favorite ones are the Lifestyle out of the three because they have a much nicer intermediate and is an easily noticeable difference. Other than that, they all do well in the distance and near (+3.00 add)
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Comment

I'm in the Enhanced. I also have worn the Auto 2, Seiko Prefas, Comfort 360, Illumina, Sola one and a couple others.

Enhanced and Auto have the least swim but these emmetropic eyes can adjust to any of them in a few minutes. Then again I'm not a fussy guy.

Comment

Everyone has different "visual sensitivity" and many can wear a variety of the PAL designs. I've fit a lot of patients with freeform and don't see the "wow" factor. They certainly don't look any better in the lensometer. It just doesn't seem that great of an improvement for the cost. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jcamp View Post
          Everyone has different "visual sensitivity" and many can wear a variety of the PAL designs. I've fit a lot of patients with freeform and don't see the "wow" factor. They certainly don't look any better in the lensometer. It just doesn't seem that great of an improvement for the cost. Just my opinion.
          I've seen alot of "wow" factor people. Especially with Myopic people. The Hyperops do not see as much of a "wow" factor.

But either way digital progs are the best thing to happen to lenses in a long time, and on the plus side the cost keeps dropping :bbg:

Comment

That's where I'm coming from. With a low dist correction, I don't see a great difference, where as, someone with a higher script, and or high cyl, may definitely see a greater improvement from one style to another. I'm hoping some of those wearers will post their experience.
            The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

I got a free pair of Physio Enhanced at a seminar. They're nice but I'm not getting a wow. I like my Physio Short better. I would love to try the Hoya ID.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkvelo View Post
                icmor, I believe the answer is Both. i noticed you referenced the Phys Enhanced as Essilor. In reality this is a premium "Varilux" product. There is a bunch of cost and value in branding to the consumer. Do you cary sell or promote any brand name frames? Etc. I suggest if you use the support and marketing Varilux offers and promote it as a/the premium brand the cost has a lot of value.
                So you really believe that the designs for Varilux lenses are completely different than the other lenses Essilor offers? Are you saying that all the hype and POP Varilux uses makes the lens a better value? I disagree. I'd say that if I can produce the same or better result for the patient, and use a cheaper lens, then I have a very real increase in value.(not a perceived value) The rest is a warm fuzzy feeling brought on by the cheerleaders at Varilux.(who do an excellent job)

Comment

Originally posted by MasterCrafter View Post
                  I've seen alot of "wow" factor people. Especially with Myopic people. The Hyperops do not see as much of a "wow" factor.

But either way digital progs are the best thing to happen to lenses in a long time, and on the plus side the cost keeps dropping :bbg:
                  MasterCrafter,

Seiko just got a new free form progressive-SURMOUNT and they claim will "WOW" hyperops. Have you tried them? Or anyone have tried Surmont (seiko lens)?
                  How are they? Please share your views. Thanks.

Laguna.

Comment

Originally posted by LAGUNAEYEDESIGNER View Post
                    MasterCrafter,

Seiko just got a new free form progressive-SURMOUNT and they claim will "WOW" hyperops. Have you tried them? Or anyone have tried Surmont (seiko lens)?
                    How are they? Please share your views. Thanks.

Laguna.
                    The thickness or the lack of it is amazing, especially for hyperopes. I haven't received any feedback yet on the optics, but so far the lenses look better than anything on the market.
                    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
                    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
                    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Comment

Shamir more expensive?

Hmm.. in our area the Shamir Free Forms are less expensive the Varilux, or Zeiss. The labs I am working with aren't advertising Seiko, though it the local lab putting in the FF generator might be using one of their designs for their inhouse branded FF.
                      "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Comment

Originally posted by HarryChiling View Post
                        The thickness or the lack of it is amazing, especially for hyperopes. I haven't received any feedback yet on the optics, but so far the lenses look better than anything on the market.
                        I sent my frame in yesterday. I'm a +2.00/+2.50 add. They're going in an Acuity FF round 47 eye zyl. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousCat View Post
                          I sent my frame in yesterday. I'm a +2.00/+2.50 add. They're going in an Acuity FF round 47 eye zyl. I'll keep you posted.
                          Are you getting those put in the old Oscar de la Renta?
                          DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
                          "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Comment

Originally posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
                            Are you getting those put in the old Oscar de la Renta?
                            Ummm...no. I'm saving them for something really special. :bbg:

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousCat View Post
                              Ummm...no. I'm saving them for something really special. :bbg:
                              Polarized lenses with blue mirror?
                              DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Comment

You read my mind!!

Comment

Working...
                                X