Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any body not going to New York...

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question Any body not going to New York...

Is there anybody else not going to the optical thinggy in NY this weekend, or shall we just shut shop...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not. I'm going to Williamsburg to see my daughter in a play at The College of William and Mary...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You're not!?! Judy! I was really looking forward to seeing what kind of ruckus you could raise in NYC (after all, as I recall, you DID visit the voodoo shop in NO, and I'm still POSITIVE that was you flashing Darris, Chad, and I at 1:25am on Saturday morning)!

John,
    You really should try to attend next year. I think I recall reading something in Optician about a UK "Expo-type" show that was cancelled this year- but is slated for next year...

If there is a internet accessible computer set up at the show, I'll make sure we post something to "stay in touch." Come to think of it, we better watch out... with everyone away for a couple of days, we may return to find OptiBoard all decked out with the Union Jack and a new title blaring "John's Optical Wonderland"!
    :cheers: I'll have an over-priced NYC beer for you!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Maybe John would declare.....

Maybe John would declare our apprenticeship over and we could become official.Then the onus would be on for US to go "home again" (UK) to "our Vision Expo thingy" in England!! What say you Peter??
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

More importantly.....

More importantly.....What say you John and Maria??
    hj
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    we may return to find OptiBoard all decked out with the Union Jack and a new title blaring "John's Optical Wonderland"!
    Shh, Steve will here you... I hope you enhoy my beer :cheers: but make sure its only the one, dont want you getting drunk now do we....

Hj, good idea. I will just have to set a test for you.

Occupation

Lightbulb And by the way

Pete.....

Dont think them beads you had left over will get you a lick in NY... either.... More likly to get you a kick.....

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up new york

:D i can't go either john. perhaps we could hold one in old york (it's a bit closer ):bbg:
    guess we will just have to fly the flag here.
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never go to New York. I grew up in Texas and need space and warmth. I try not to go north of Tennesse, especially in winter although now that I have a daughter in northeast Kentucky, I have to make an exception sometimes. Besides the Bass are too small to fool with up Nawth.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Besides the Bass are too small to fool with up Nawth.
    Maybe in nature but not in our sewer systems. If you pick a nice spot near one of our industrial areas, they come with two heads too! Seriously, we don't need freshwater bass; we have Striped Bass and Bluefish up here come summer. You should come up here and try salt water fly fishing.

PS - You had to mention fishing didn't you. We have one more month and a day to go up here before fishing season officially opens. Don't even tell me you live on your own body of water and don't have to worry about getting a fishing license or anything like that.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes we have fishing license. No we don't have a season on any fish, we fish year round.

Chip

Did I mention, we don't really have winter either.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chip anderson said:
    Did I mention, we don't really have winter either.
    That was just plain mean. It was an absolutely beautiful day today and I got my first touch of spring fever. Now you just made it worse.

I bet you already have green stuff all over and flowers showing up too.

Occupation
    Jo said:
    I bet you already have green stuff all over and flowers showing up too.
    Jo hate to make you feel even worse but we got flowers growing nicely in our garden..:D even the grass is starting to grow as well.... we have had a mild winter this year warm and wet....
    Just waiting for the sting in the tail to come now.....

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Well, I was thinking about you guys... We went to an Irish Restuarant on 3/17 and I had something called "Mashers and somethingorother" (Sausage and Potatoes). The waitress was from "County Cork" and seemed out of place in NYC (no offense to the fine folks who reside in the "Big Apple," but I'm afraid I intend that as a compliment).

Met quite a few Irish folks, actually, and given some recent exposure to an English accent, they were very pleased when I recognized that they were not English (which doesn't necessarily mean they aren't British, but you know).

I met a few Scots as well, and I have to admit, their accent is perhaps the most, um, interesting!

BTW, your beer tasted very good (all ## of them)! :)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The waitress was from "County Cork" and seemed out of place in NYC.
    People from Cork are made fun of in a light hearted way all over the country because of their accent so maybe that why she decided to go to New York

Pete, what did you think of the Irish?

Any photos?????/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

All things come to they who wait....

Ian
    Photos are on the way!
    Pete,
    The "interesting" scots would have fed you hagis....which by all acounts you would NOT have found interesting!
    John, Pete now wants to become an Irish citizen!I don't think you should cancel his apprenticeship just yet because he may have had something more than Pepsi in the glass I saw.After all, St Patricks day was celebrated on Saturday in NY!:D

One by one......we return!
    hj
    Lord Byron

Occupation

Re: All things come to they who wait....

hcjilson said:
    Pete now wants to become an Irish citizen!

Perhaps Ian would like to set up an Irish apprenticeship scheme..:cheers: would be right up Pete's street as it would require plenty of drinking :bbg:
    Pete...How dare you drink Pepsi.... Only the real thing is allowed anywhere near me.....;)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Pete...How dare you drink Pepsi.... Only the real thing is allowed anywhere near me.....

First, I was drinking Coke neat (straight up) by Saturday... having satisfied my taste for spirits on Friday evening. Second, if you'd seen the huge Brittany Spears ad in Times Square, you might think differently about Pepsi (I'm not a Spears fan, but if Pepsi is "For those who think young" sign me up!).
    ;)
    I would like to know what that sausage and potato meal that I ate in the Irish restaurant (something and mashers is what was on the menu, I believe) is called.

My impression of the Irish is that they love a party. I'm just speculating, but I would guess that once one has been in the U.K. for awhile, it isn't difficult to tell the Irish and the English apart! From now on, the word that springs to mind when I think Irish is "fun" or "happy." The word that comes to mind when I think English is "proper." (Both nice qualities, mind you, but they are definitely unique peoples.) The men were wearing the funny looking skirt things with the feathers hanging off the metallic disc things. By and large, the women seemed very, um, jovial and quick to laugh or smile. The thing that struck me about the Irish waitresses was how pleasantly quiet they were (they didn't need to talk a lot to make you feel welcome, and they had an unforced smile all the time). I suppose the sense I got was- if this is how typical Irish folk are- maybe I need to look back in relocating to the "motherland!"

Of particular interest was when a fella who was obviously related to one of the larger groups (did I mention he was a NY fireman in his uniform) joined the table. Boisterous backslaps all around and immediate rounds of Guinness beer... Very, very pleasant evening! I also got to hear about Rugby, the English "Triple Crown" (horse racing), etc...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Pete Hanlin said:
    I would like to know what that sausage and potato meal that I ate in the Irish restaurant (something and mashers is what was on the menu, I believe) is called.

Bangers and Mash!

Occupation
    Pete Hanlin said:
    ;)
    As Ian says Banngers (sausage) and Mash... I hope you didn't pay too much for it.... Did it have nice onion graey as well... Yum Yum...

it isn't difficult to tell the Irish and the English apart!
    It is if they dont speak......Unless one's got a pick in his hand...

The men were wearing the funny looking skirt things with the feathers hanging off the metallic disc things.
    The Scotch call them Kilts and the danglie bit is a "Sporrons" bit like a womans purse really.. :shiner:

The thing that struck me about the Irish waitresses was how pleasantly quiet they were (they didn't need to talk a lot to make you feel welcome, and they had an unforced smile all the time).
    The Irish are a very laid back culture, take things as they come..

Of particular interest was when a fella who was obviously related to one of the larger groups (did I mention he was a NY fireman in his uniform) joined the table.
    As we understand a lot of NY fineist are of Irish origion. ;)

immediate rounds of Guinness beer...
    It takes a long time to pull a proper pint of guinness..

I also got to hear about Rugby, the English "Triple Crown"
    Yes ENGLISH triple Crown is correct.....

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Bangers and Mash it was (thank you, and yes it was the cheapest thing on the menu)! I also had Lamb and Mint Jelly on another visit (never had Mint Jelly before... interesting stuff).

I would posit that you really can tell a difference between English and Irish just by their demeanor (i.e., without hearing them talk). Then again, for some reason I seem to have the uncanny ability to pick a Brit out of a crowd (even if they are dressed in American garb, there's just something that gives them away- even before they open their mouths and issue forth a variation of the English language that proclaims- "I'm not from around here!"). I find that Irish people, on the other hand, seem much more American in general and have to speak before I notice they are from afar off place.

Now if I could only remember the races that comprise the English Triple Crown (the final one is "St. Something-or-other"). Supposedly, there is also a Triple Crown of rugby... Of course, our Triple Crown is comprised of the Kentucky Derby, The Preakness, and Belmont. There's also a "Triple Crown" of baseball (having the most hits, RBIs, and runs scored in the same year).

Anyway, as Harry mentioned, I informed him that I wish to transfer my course credits from English apprenticeship to Irish apprenticeship! I have a feeling the coursework might be more entertaining (and inebriating!).
    :cheers:
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper english triple crown

Now if I could only remember the races that comprise the English Triple Crown (the final one is "St. Something-or-other"
    2000 guineas
    the derby
    st ledger.

i think.:idea: :cheers:
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Occupation
    Harry J, since the subject is in circulation dont you have to tell John R something;)

Occupation

Thumbs up

ioconnell said:
    Harry J, since the subject is in circulation dont you have to tell John R something;)
    I'm all ears....

Pete
    Supposedly, there is also a Triple Crown of rugby...
    Yes its part of the 6 nations rubgy union cup
    To win we you need to beat the other home nations which are England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales...
    the other teams are France and the Ities (only let them in so wales would have someone too beat...)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Can dual citizenship become treble??

John, please don't misinterpret the following because it has as much to do with circumstance and opportunity as it has to do with personal aggrandizement.

By virtue of the fact her grandparents were both born in Ireland, my wife qualifies for dual Irish citizenship.This was a program put into place to encourage the two generations involved to return to Ireland.(Ireland having lost so many to immigration to the States) At any rate her's is the last generation that can do this.She pursued it, and two years ago she provided the proper documentation and became a dual citizen.

As her spouse, I also qualify for dual citizenship, after a three year period.My time will be up a year from this July and I will then be making my application.

Sue and I are Americans and love America.We also love Ireland.We love the family we have there,and we the natural beauty of the land, as well as the warmth and generosity of its peoples.We will be proud citizens of both countries.

John, I am, and will remain, an anglophile.I have the utmost respect for England, its history and our common heritage.England has given us our laws, our language, and our freedom. (well they didn't exactly give that to us!)I know I can never become a treble citizen.....but if I could.....I would!

When all is said and done it is my hope that you and Maria will see fit to continue on with my apprenticeship.

Cheerio!
    hj
    Lord Byron

Thread Information