Thread: HELP "high wrap, high Rx, Z87+transition" ==> who can do these lenses ??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

HELP "high wrap, high Rx, Z87+transition" ==> who can do these lenses ??

Need great help:

SV Rx:

-4.25-3.50x38
    -6.25-0.50x170

PD:35.5 OU

Z87 transition

8 or 6 based

frame info: A:60 B:36.1 DBL:19 ED(diagonal):62

If you think you can make the lenses for me, contact me. Thanks.

Paul
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Try Pech Optical. Call and send them the job for evaluation.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another option would be Laramy k optical. I like that they cater to independent opticals.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Ice Tech, their work is simply amazing. Stuff like this is their specialty.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ice Tech is the one I'm expecting to hear. I just didn't remember the name.

Any way, just talked to them over the phone. The initial repesponse is very positive. I'll give them (and myself) a try. I'll post the final outcome later when available.

Thanks to all of you for looking and responding to my post.

BTW, the most difficult part of this job is on OD with -4.25 sph, -3.50 cyl and of course, 8 base, 60 A measurment Z87 thickness & 76 PD. Shamir Autograph II Attitude (my regular High Wrap choice) just don't have enough blank thickness to make the cut.
    Last edited by a1vo; 09-08-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: typo/grammer correction

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about Avante Optics in Phoenix, they ROCK especially with high cyl rx's.
    I came, I saw, I left

Bad address email on file KellyR's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I live in Canada, but for crazy stuff like this I always use Nikon. They have the new SeeStyle lenses made specifically for high base curves - up to 10, and they will guarantee up to a 6.00D cyl.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyR View Post
    I live in Canada, but for crazy stuff like this I always use Nikon. They have the new SeeStyle lenses made specifically for high base curves - up to 10, and they will guarantee up to a 6.00D cyl.
    Thanks, that's nice to know. But 6.00 cyl is only part of th picture. What is the max combined Sph+cyl allowed? In other words, what's the power range?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Try Quest Lab in Florida-http://www.questopticallab.com/ they do all specialty work

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    A lot of people CAN do that job, but you need more than the lenses just stuck in a frame. With that RX you need a lens compensated for wrap using decentered PD's and by adding prism. See here for the calculation: http://www.opticampus.com/tools/tilt.php Most labs do not compensate unless you ask.

The best option would be the SV Shamir Auto II in 7 base 1.67. That would give you decent optics.

I don't recommend 8 base with a total power over a -5.00 because the optics get ugly. If you go 8 base prepare for a dissapointed/angry patient.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ice Tech has delivered the job with their own brand lenses (with wrap compensation) in trivex. Shamir Autograph II SV Attitude (either poly or 1.67) can not do this job because of "not enough blank thickness".

The glasses was dispensed about two weeks ago. Have not heard back from him. So assume everything are a-ok.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Ok -- I'm going to be the lone voice in the wilderness here: Why oh why would you even offer a wrap rx to a patient with that kind of correction in the first place?

There ARE frames available that look like a wrap but take a "normal" rx lens, as an example, the Hilco T-Zone.

4.5 mm in decentration both eyes, total power of -7.50 and -6.75. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Should he have sent it to you, Mike?:bbg::bbg:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Oh HELL no!!! I'd have turned it down, or pushed him into a much smaller frame. I'm not afraid to tell my dispensers what to do LOL!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Should he have sent it to you, Mike?:bbg::bbg:
    LOL!

Imagine the weight of that puppy in GLASS!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Hideous...

even in 1.80 glass.

Certainly up for the Golden Nail Award.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Ok -- I'm going to be the lone voice in the wilderness here: Why oh why would you even offer a wrap rx to a patient with that kind of correction in the first place?
    I'll remember that!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    4.5 mm in decentration both eyes, total power of -7.50 and -6.75. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
    and that too!

for future.

But for now, anyone want to blame those lens manufactors offering such lenses?
    Last edited by a1vo; 10-06-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Mike, you may not be familiar with Ice Tech, so let me give you a little insight in what they are all about. I have had many a conversation with the owner and he has visited my office twice. Ice Tech is a 100% in-house operation. They have fabricated and designed all of their own machinery and software to run the machines and also the systems integration software. Allen (the owner) purposely designed Ice Tech so they could do things other labs could/would not do, he was not satisfied with the current state of optical machine technology. Ice Tech was designed to meet the needs of Paul and many others including my company.
    Clinton Tower

ALT248=°

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Not really. There are good reasons to have extra thick blanks available in any base curve. Before the advent of plastic, I saw a lot of high sphere high cylinder jobs where the only blank that could get them to reasonably cut out was 12-14 mm thick at the ct. It is a case of demand - the casters won't make the blank if there isn't demand for it, unless you have a small manufacturer that does one-off castings and you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks to get it.

I think the point is that a solid discussion with the patient take place, complete with thickness diagrams showing the difference between using a 60 mm wrap frame and a nice conservative 49 mm street wear frame that requires less decentration.

I remember when plastics first came out and all the high plus and high minus jobs went away and opticians started putting these patients in larger and larger frames. Just because you remove the weight of the lens material, doesn't mean you should go larger with the frame! I understand the "fashion" "need" that some patients have, and the desire to have a pair of fancy smanchy specs like his/her neighbor, but that should not rule out the opticians common sense. "This is not a good idea and here is why..."

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Mike, you may not be familiar with Ice Tech, so let me give you a little insight in what they are all about. I have had many a conversation with the owner and he has visited my office twice. Ice Tech is a 100% in-house operation. They have fabricated and designed all of their own machinery and software to run the machines and also the systems integration software. Allen (the owner) purposely designed Ice Tech so they could do things other labs could/would not do, he was not satisfied with the current state of optical machine technology. Ice Tech was designed to meet the needs of Paul and many others including my company.
    Oh, I totally get it. I'm not slamming them, I'm wondering why it was even necessary to have the discussion in the first place. There is something inherently "not so smart" (personally, I used a different phrase, but chose to use polite language) about putting a patient with a -7.50 total power into a frame with a 60 mm A box, 4.5 mm of decentration and an 8 base front curve.

We do similar things for the glass market, so I totally see where they are coming from and totally approve (not that they need my approval LOL) of what they are doing. It's like I said above in my previous comment: WTH was the optician thinking?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Mike, being a lab guy, I see a lot of stuff come-in that makes me think others are living in an alternate universe.
    Clinton Tower

ALT248=°

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Mike, being a lab guy, I see a lot of stuff come-in that makes me think others are living in an alternate universe.
    More than once I've 'stepped out of line' and called the dispenser and raised hell with them...and told them to call the patient back in and select a new frame. Nicely of course, but I have done it.

Drawing up a curve diagram is no big deal if you have graph paper, compass and pd stick. One curve for the base, second curve separated by CT for the highest back curve, draw a vertical to indicate decentration, then two other verticals for the frame edges. Easy peasy, nice and squeezy.

I just did it, took about 3 minutes. With a 2.0 center, I measure the nasal edge thickness at about 8 mm and the temporal edge thickness at close to 20 mm. It also shows that the back side when generating/grinding/polishing is going to be very close to a hemisphere which makes it all the worse.

Sometimes the lab just needs to say No (and not even consider sending the job out for "specialty surfacing".
    Last edited by MikeAurelius; 10-07-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Thread Information