Thread: What's going on in your life?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

What's going on in your life?

Seems like we mostly stick to optical, snarky humor, and govt bashing, so here's a new one. What's going on in your life?
    Personally, I'm at a crossroads. I just started an MBA program, that may end up leading me away from the optical field. I love the field, but I feel like I'm stagnating. I hope I can use the higher ed in my current profession, but I have a feeling I'll be doing something else in a few years. Perhaps I'll be offered to manage my current lab when the old guy retires. That's about the only way I see myself staying an optician on a full time basis. I'll probably always keep my license.
    I'd be a fool not to pursue this since I have the post-911 GI bill that pays for the whole shebang, along with a monthly living stipend. I served during two wars ya know! (yeah, in Hawaii and Columbia making glasses)
    If I have enough benefits after the MBA, I may go for a second Master's or maybe even a PhD. Time will only tell.
    What's your story?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wes,
    Don't over look the obvious. Start your own business. After meeting you and reading your posts on OB, I think you are one of the brightest opticians I've seen. You well know, the skills / knowledge of too many "opticians" is dismal, however this creates opportunities for people like you. Managing your own business is challenging and stimulating, you'll never feel like you're stagnating. I made this decision 20+ years ago and have never regretted it. It has allowed me to be creative, do what I enjoy and make a good living. I think getting your MBA is a great idea, it will help in whatever you choose to do, but don't give up on the optical field.
    Sorry to hear you can't make it to Cincinnati.
    Bob

Occupation
    Bob, you're the second guy in as many days that's said that to me and I thank you for the compliment. Bright opticians tend to be bright in other areas as well, and I do have to keep my options open. Look at Warren and Roy. They're still opticians, while pursuing other interests and businesses. I'd love to run my own optical, but I'm not sure the market in my area will support it. I suspect a move would be in order to do that.

Another thing is my 17 years of govt service. The benefits are excellent, and I can retire with a pension if I stick around long enough. It's definitely a lot to walk away from. I could stay in the govt system, move around and move up with higher ed. I could make about 12k a year more as a lab manager. I could make 25-40k a year more in other fields with an MBA.
    I'll stick where I am for now and rack up the degrees, much like I racked up the certifications. I'll see where it takes me, and I have a feeling I'll always consider running an optical as well. Maybe even in retirement.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Come on, what's going on? Fezz, are you making beer? Harry, how's the kid doin? Johns, has yours been to walmart yet? Dish, people!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Over the past summer, most of my concern has been my health. Have had stomach issues. In July I figured it was an ulcer and the doctors have been running tests. The thing is, only some of the symptoms correspond. My fear was Crohns or Colitis. But it seems like that is not the issue, and thankfully that is true. I did see a Naturopath this week and she thinks she has narrowed it down. If true, I could be better by the end of the month. During this time, there was a lot of fear that it could be long term. This summer I have not done much except for work, exercise and hang around the house. I do not like going out, because I do not know how I will feel. It has kind of put things into perspective though. Your day to day life is so important and there is nothing worse than bad health. But on the bright side, I did lose 30lbs and am at my target weight, I am more positive about my job, and I am really starting to be more empathetic of other peoples health concerns.

Work wise, there may be a big promotion coming my way. At the same time, I may be leaving my job next summer to do a PHD. I teach part time at the University on the side and I love it.

Occupation
    Wow and I thought my abscess and root canal were terrible. That was only a week long!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope to pursue my MBA within the next two years (have to get my student loan paid off). I'm working 60hrs/wk so that I can get said debt, and others :( , paid off. I'm still in karate, up to my brown belt. Training for a 5K in December and sucking at it. I'm working on expanding my horizons within my company by cross training and learning Spanish. I hope Rosetta Stone is all that it is said to be. If anyone has any suggestions for learning a foreign language, I am all ears. My kids are wearing me out! We have karate, football, cheerleading, dance, and gymnastics. And I'm hoping to get a new tattoo tomorrow!
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If anyone has any suggestions for learning a foreign language, I am all ears
    It is said the best way to learn a foreign language is to take a foreign lover. Might want to check with hubbie first tho.

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Getting divorced. Trying to figure out a way to get back in college full time so I can go for an orthoptics fellowship.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Work , school ,church and at some point time with my wife.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael I. Davis View Post
    It is said the best way to learn a foreign language is to take a foreign lover. Might want to check with hubbie first tho.
    Well, he does want me to learn :)
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Keeping my head above water with my own shop. Been open two months now!!!!! Our 5th grandchild was born Aug 11th, now we have 3 grandsons, and 2 granddaughters. Sometimes I still feel too young to even have kids, let alone grandkids.
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Optical work has always been a great subsistence job, but theatre and music are my life. I lead a praise band Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. This past summer I directed The Comedy of Errors for the Arkansas Shakespeare Theatre, and they're hiring me back for As You Like It next summer. I'm directing a one-act for Sycamore Rouge's 24-Hour Experience in two weeks, and that company is going to be producing a staged reading of my play Awake in Pennsylvania in January. I have a commercial audition on Monday and I'm starting to work on a musical project with my buddy Jake.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    Come on, what's going on? Fezz, are you making beer? Harry, how's the kid doin? Johns, has yours been to walmart yet? Dish, people!
    I don't know if it's a mid-life thing, or what, but I've been spending more time away from the office, and just drove out to Montana (Monday) on a whim and bought 20 acres on a stream w/a cabin.

Luckily, my wife has always been a big part of my dreams, and this case, she wants this almost more than I do.

We've got a few years before I retire (semi), or find something else to do, but I guess I'll should see what I can do in the way of work in Montana...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Well, you will have to start wearing a bandana.:bbg::cheers:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We paid off my car this weekend. That's probably our big ongoing project at our house, getting out of debt. Now my car payment will be rolled into whatever has the next lowest balance. The closer we get to being debt-free, the closer to my retirement!!!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    We paid off my car this weekend. That's probably our big ongoing project at our house, getting out of debt. Now my car payment will be rolled into whatever has the next lowest balance. The closer we get to being debt-free, the closer to my retirement!!!

Live like no one else, so you can live like no one else!

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Live like no one else, so you can live like no one else!
    It's the Dave Ramsey way! There's a bumper sticker on a car a couple houses down from me: Debt is normal; be WEIRD!!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kat View Post
    Keeping my head above water with my own shop. Been open two months now!!!!! Our 5th grandchild was born Aug 11th, now we have 3 grandsons, and 2 granddaughters. Sometimes I still feel too young to even have kids, let alone grandkids.
    Tell me about it. Three older kids (24, 20 & 18) and then a 3-yr old. I think it's God's way of keeping me honest. Right when I think we're getting the house back and getting all of the older kids out, we get this little bundle of joy -- only now I'm over 40 so.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post

What an awesome feeling!:cheers:
    I think that paying off a car is one of the biggest incentives to never buy a new car again!

I remember the last new car I owned (1999). Everytime I made a payment I was praying, "Just let me pay this thing off and I'll never buy another new one!" And I haven't.

I've driven some pretty nasty vans since then, but I think of the rusted out sliding doors as badges of honor! Plus, if it's the difference between me and a 2010 Lexus vying for the same parking spot, guess who's going to back off first?:bbg:(not me!)

Congratulations again on burying that car payment!:cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Cars are a funny thing. I look at flashy, fast cars and they seem really neat. But then you look at the monthly bill and really question if that much money will bring you any extra enjoyment.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Well, you will have to start wearing a bandana.:bbg::cheers:
    Don't forget the gunrack for the truck, and the bearspray!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Moving to Montana!

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I don't know if it's a mid-life thing, or what, but I've been spending more time away from the office, and just drove out to Montana (Monday) on a whim and bought 20 acres on a stream w/a cabin.

Will you be growing any dental floss?

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thread Information