Thread: Shamir

Bad address email on file L.A.B.'s Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie Shamir

Can anyone tell me which Shamir progressive is closest to a Varilux Physio? The Element or the Creation?

Thanks

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    closest as in what way? by manufacturing process it would be the creation.Both have a digital molded front design.
    There are many other comparisons, what are you considering?

Occupation
    Closest to ?
    Yes, why not push the envelope just a bit and try for a newer design!

Bad address email on file L.A.B.'s Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are in the proccess of changing our product offerings. We did sell alot of Essilor product and our go to progressive was the Physio or the Physio enhanced. I have tried the Shamir Autograph 2 in a fixed design and I love it but I feel it's a better performing lens than the Physio. So now I'm wondering which Shamir product would be closest in performance to the Physio.

Thanks for amy imput that comes my way.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The closest Shamir lens to the Physio is the Creation. Down from that would be the Genesis. The Piccolo will be your non-FreeForm short corridor progressive.

Of course, if Essilor buys Shamir none of this will matter since you'll be back to buying from Essilor....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    The closest Shamir lens to the Physio is the Creation. Down from that would be the Genesis. The Piccolo will be your non-FreeForm short corridor progressive.

Of course, if Essilor buys Shamir none of this will matter since you'll be back to buying from Essilor....
    Is there any basis for this? I sincerely hope they don't.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnelson.aboc View Post
    Is there any basis for this? I sincerely hope they don't.
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...purchases-them?

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...hamir-purchase...............................

See these two threads. There's also been a couple of articles on www.Eyeoverheard.com. One of them I think links to the original Israeli news article.

I would really prefer that Essilor did not purchase Shamir as well, but it makes A LOT of business sense if they do. Their Enhanced (and 360 line before that) are not Free Form, and their only other offering, the Ideal, has been less sucessful than they thought it would be.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...purchases-them?

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...hamir-purchase...............................

See these two threads. There's also been a couple of articles on www.Eyeoverheard.com. One of them I think links to the original Israeli news article.

I would really prefer that Essilor did not purchase Shamir as well, but it makes A LOT of business sense if they do. Their Enhanced (and 360 line before that) are not Free Form, and their only other offering, the Ideal, has been less sucessful than they thought it would be.
    That really is a shame. You are right, though. It makes perfect sense.

That also brings up a good question, why is the Ideal not Essilor's "top-of-the-line" progressive if full back-side designs provide better optics (AutoII, Individual, etc.)? Is their algorithm just not as sophisticated?

Occupation
    We used Shamir lenses for a while but could not find a lab that could give us accurate jobs...we also had an adaptation problem which we found out was caused by labs not using compatible blanks and/or AR...word on the street is Shamir will soon release their own AR and I was assured the company will be staying independent....To answer the original question - Shamir just launched a new lens called the spectrum which i believe is comparable however its been a while since i was forced to use essilor lens - ipseo was their "top of the line" lens

Thread Information