Thread: Selling better products!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Selling better products!

I have been in the Optical Industry for about 7 years. I have only this past year took the ABO and the NCLE and passed and now I am going in Oct to get the Florida License.

While I have a timidness towards pricing for patients (due to the first Optometrist who I worked for, he just wanted to do cr-39 and poly and no AR and only basic jobs).

I want to provide my patients the best in quality and service.

My question: Knowing that Trivex, Hi Index are a superior lens material how do other fellow opticians justify to the patient who is weary of the pocket book on spending the extra money if there is a possibility that the lenses will change in a year?

I work for a different doctor who has let me pretty much be the soul judge on what to put everyone in and I just want some pointers on how to sell better quality products and am curoius on what others say to their patients.

JG

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Always, always, always, always present the best products you can. Tell the patient all the benefits and advantages. People will spend more if they feel that they are buying something that they need, rather than just something you are trying to sell to them. In fact don't mention something as an "upgrade" because people automatically associate that with having to spend more. Always start with the best, and let them know that everything else is a "downgrade" from there. I usually don't even mention price until they ask. Never, never, never be hesitant, timid, or apologetic for your prices.

"Yes Mr Jones, the Free Form lenses are more expensive, but they will provide you with the best possible vision of any progressive lens."

Let the patient decide, based on the information that you give them, what they are willing to spend. Don't assume how much they do or don't want to spend. . Yes, there will always be some patients who just want the cheapest thing possible. But there are also a lot who will spend more if they feel that it is a good value for their money and in their best interests to do so. And then there are the way too few patients who will just buy whatever you tell them because you said so.

Best story example I can give you: Lady comes into the store and one of our opticians greets her and helps her pick out a frame. All she needs are reading glasses, but she does want a fairly nice pair, rather than just OTC readers. Low Rx. Sounds like just a basic CR-39 sale and done. BUT, the optician notices that she has a rather dark tan and asks if she likes to read outdoors. Yes, in fact her book club meets by the pool as often as weather permits. So he mentions the advantages of Transitions, giving her reading sunglasses for her outdoor reading. And of course A/R to cut the glare from the overhead sun. Price was never even discussed until the order was written up, and she didn't bat an eye at spending over $100 more than she otherwise might have for "just a pair of reading glasses."
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Educate yourself, not just with the overblown marketing, but with solid information. Attend as many educational seminars as you can, even if you have to pay for them yourself. Once you have the information down, you won't need to "sell", you'll be able to present a solution to a visual problem.

www.ecpmag.com is a good place to start, if I do say so myself. You're in Florida, and the POF has great education opportunities, so check their website for the dates and times.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Educate yourself, not just with the overblown marketing, but with solid information. Attend as many educational seminars as you can, even if you have to pay for them yourself. Once you have the information down, you won't need to "sell", you'll be able to present a solution to a visual problem.

www.ecpmag.com is a good place to start, if I do say so myself. You're in Florida, and the POF has great education opportunities, so check their website for the dates and times.
    +1!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe I posed my question wrong. I appreciate the feedback. I however do not just sell to sell, I have never sold something to just sell something. I think WFruit got what I was trying to ask. I want to know how other opticians work with people and how they respond to a patients hesitation or how to educate a patient concerning the superiority of the above mentioned lenses. text book style, or lessons being taught in a seminar are one thing, but it is a different environment when you are dealing with a patient one on one. you cannot just say well Product A is superior to product B and the patient just take that as it! Maybe that is all that is said! but with my patients they want to know why! I tell them about index of refraction and how a material bends light, and when a product has a higher index the need of more material is not no longer needed thus making the lense thinner. or transition lenses are good why? or a polarized product is superior because of the glare reduction. Does anyone else go into these details? I have been pretty much a lone wolf when it came to selling these products and now that I am free to offer more and better products I want to know how others are doing it. I am just looking for one on one answers not text book styles. Maybe I am taking this too seriously or just reaching for something that is not there.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The key to presenting new and/or better products is to understand what will truly benefit your customer. Discovering how they use their glasses for work, play etc. is the only way you'll learn what to offer them. Once you know their needs, you can use your knowledge to present and explain options that will benefit them. When they know you understand their needs, they'll trust your recommendations. Communication, both ways, is essential. Also as mentioned before, continue to educate yourself. Continually learning something new makes your job more enjoyable. Good luck.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I try not to overspeak. Frankly, I don't get into a discussion about product A or B. I am the BRAND, not what lens or coating I am using! Educate yourself, know your stuff in and out, and be confident in your abilities! I try to keep the process as simple as straightforward as I can. Too much techno babble is a killer in most situations. I have several lenses that I use, several lens materials that I use, two or three AR coatings depending on what lens or material I feel is needed and I decide what to use based on many factors. If I am not quite sure, I will probe a bit more and go from there. I rarely use demos. On occasion I will whip out the AR demo. I use a polarized demo to show why I use polarized lenses and what color. I am not big on thickness demos because it is a unrealistic representation of final product. Almost every time that I have used one, the patient asks where their power is and "How much thicker or thinner will mine be?". Hard to demonstrate effectively. Most patients understand that thinner lenses exist these days. Find out what they have and how you can improve on it and go for it!

I think that most patients could care less why product A is better than B. They want to see and see well. They want value for what the are paying.

Give it to them with Gusto!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You can come by my stores for another way of looking at lenses!

Quote Originally Posted by JG43 View Post
    Maybe I posed my question wrong. I appreciate the feedback. I however do not just sell to sell, I have never sold something to just sell something. I think WFruit got what I was trying to ask. I want to know how other opticians work with people and how they respond to a patients hesitation or how to educate a patient concerning the superiority of the above mentioned lenses. text book style, or lessons being taught in a seminar are one thing, but it is a different environment when you are dealing with a patient one on one. you cannot just say well Product A is superior to product B and the patient just take that as it! Maybe that is all that is said! but with my patients they want to know why! You want to know why, not your patients. They come to oyu as an expert and expect you to decide for them.

I tell them about index of refraction and how a material bends light, and when a product has a higher index the need of more material is not no longer needed thus making the lense thinner. or transition lenses are good why? or a polarized product is superior because of the glare reduction. Does anyone else go into these details?
    You got it; stop talking so much and ask them what color polarized sun lens they prefer. We include non glare on every pair and the cost difference between a polarized and non polarized is only $75 ish, we never even discuss it. The only non polarized pairs are due to a tint matching or a rare other reason.

I have been pretty much a lone wolf when it came to selling these products and now that I am free to offer more and better products I want to know how others are doing it. I am just looking for one on one answers not text book styles. Maybe I am taking this too seriously or just reaching for something that is not there. Because you care so much I would be honored to have you spend a day with us and then give us your view on products.
    We sell 99% digital lenses and 99% non glare coatings; you can spend a day with my staff and after it the difference will be apparent.
    We sell the best products because I just explain that the glasses will be the best compromise possible. That is normally trivex digital with AR. As far as thickness my staff will quote as follow" Your glasses will be as thin as possible"!!! The glasses will be as good as it gets seems to work as well.

I am located in Fort Myers and would welcome you over for the day.

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm with Fezz on this.... I don't into massive details because I am "the expert" and will use the best product for that patient/customer. If they want details, I will techo-babble. If not, they are assured that I am putting them in what I think is the best product available.......and that's why after 12 years here, they keep coming back and sending in their friends.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you all so much for the advice and the corrections! I am excited! Craig, Thank you for the invite and I would love to make it down there sometime!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Assume the sale, pick the right lens for the patient (photo, hi-n, polar, AR, etc) when you present the lenses don't talk about what they do when light strikes them talk about what they do to compliment the patients features (eye's, complection, hair, skin tone, etc.) when your finished present the price for the lens you picked. Then ask for what form of payment she would like to use, Cash, Check, or Charge?

Example:

Mrs. Jones, I "RECOMMEND" hi-index transition Autograph lenses with AR, the high index material will allow for a thinner lens profile and allow gazers to see your beautiful eye's without the rings and thickness as a distraction the AR will further enhace the appearence for a more natural look and as a bonus you'll acheive greater clarity through the lenses and reduce the strain caused by computers and florescent lighting. Mrs. Jones I would be negligent in my duties to allow you to leave without the transitions feature, the Florida sun is brutal on the eye's and I want o prevent damage to those (baby blues, buxom browns, glittering green) eye's you have. The autograph series progressive lenses are going to be designed specifically for your frame, prescription, and wearing style these are the most comfortable lens made to date, I only wish all progressives were designed to allow you such great vision. The total for the completed eyewear comes to $750 (example), will that be Cash, Check, or Charge?

Majority of people will just hand you a CC at this point or get their check book out. If the patient is truly shocked by the price they will ask a question in relation to the price, very few are direct so you'll hear. How did we get the $750? That's when you could itemize the options on the lens and at that point you can reduce the cost by using different options:

Hi-N to Mid-N -> Mrs. Jones I could use a different material it won't be the thinnest but it will still get you a great look and save you $50.00.
    Super Hydro AR to House AR -> Mrs. Jones if you promise you'll be carefull with your glasses I can use a coating that is less forgiving on scratches which can save you another $50.00.
    Auto to Element -> Mrs Jones I hate to do this, but if you're still having trouble with the price I can use a current design that's a bit less customized and the cost can be reduced another $50.00.

Now don't be quick to shoot either, take one option off the table and requote the price, then ask and it's very important how you ask.

Correct Example: "We've got the total down to $700, that's a $50.00 savings."

We've - Your letting her know that you two are already working together, it's a mutual comprimise you two are making.
    down - Mrs. Jones is looking to reduce her bill so this emphasizes that the price went in the correct direction.
    savings - When you say it emphasize the amount $50.00. (I know and optician that used to work for me that woudl constantly say things like $50.00 MORE like his eye's were going to pop out of his head and I just asked for a patients first born when I quoted the rpice for an additional option, but when he asked if we could do better on the price and I would say you can knock another $50.00 off of it, he'd retort with ONLY $50.00, moral of the story the cup is half full so present it that way)

At this point if she retorts, you can rinse and repeat or at times I'll ask "what price are you comfortable with?" I only ask if the patient seems agitated, so it's time to get to to the nitty gritty. If Mrs. Jones responds with too low of a price, then your approach should be an emphasis on the value of the products you are offering, if the price is slightly lower I always start by throwing in some (cleaner, designer case, cord, etc) or giving her a great deal on a second pair to help bring the average price down. If that still doesn't work then I will meet her in the middle with the price.

I can't say that every experience works this way but I find that no matter the situation there is always a solution, my goal is always to get everyone into the best products (you can be proud of that and make sure to mention it), the patients goals are sometimes to get the lowest price. By offering the best price on the best product you and your patient have meet your goals. Don't confuse this with over selling or being aggressive as the options are always appropriately picked for the patient and their needs.

Here is a recommendation for a text, it's a game changer:

Influence, The psychology of Persuasion, by Robert B Cialdini (used copy last edition is $16.00 at the link below)
    http://www.amazon.com/Influence-Psyc...reative=380797

This book is essential reading in the Harvard MBA program so if it's good for the best, it's good for the rest. You'll pick up some interesting tricks in there that will help you to influence your patients into the proper decisions. Good luck.
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 09-03-2010 at 10:15 AM.

Occupation
    I sell solutions.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    I sell solutions.
    (Readers Digest version of Harry's post)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    (Readers Digest version of Harry's post)
    I've met Harry, You can't Reader's Digest him.

That damn mud his people call coffee has him bouncing off the walls!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always thought that their is no "best lens" it all depends on the customer. We have a lot of blue collar people in my town and not a lot of money. When I find out that they work on a fork lift in a dirty warehouse I usually go with plastic or a poly and skip the no glare. I would love to do more with a trivex lens but we only sell in it a 28ft with trans.Then I have the old farmers that have only had glass lenses with photo gray and wont do anything else because plastic will scratch. Most of my patients buy new glasses when the old ones fall apart.I love educating them though.I feel that way I am not selling but they are making the choice. I am there to inform and suggested and tell them no when they pick out a butt ugly frame.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have learned a whole bunch about sales, what people want, don't want, and what motivates purchases by doing a bunch of "RESEARCH"!

I think that a real good learning experience for anybody in sales is to participate in yard sales, flea markets, auctions, etc.

You will start to understand the average Joe Public much better. You will learn that the things that you think will sell swiftly, wither in the heat of the day and need to be drug back in at dark. It is more often than not, the things that you think NO ONE would ever buy, are the very things that you have priced too low, and are dashed away early and often!

I am doing a yard sale today. I have learned much already, and noon has not beat me against my ale soaked noogin yet!
    Last edited by Fezz; 09-04-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: You, not Yo, whaddya think, Im from Philly or sumptin?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks again for the tremendous amount of feedback! There are many useful tools and suggestions that I will be following up on! and also I am thankful for challenging me to expand and to delve deeper! Happy Labor Day to all Have a safe and Happy weekend!!

JG

"He is no fool to give what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose"

OptiBoardaholic Ineed Chocolate's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I have learned a whole bunch about sales, what people want, don't want, and what motivates purchases by doing a bunch of "RESEARCH"!

I think that a real good learning experience for anybody in sales is to participate in yard sales, flea markets, auctions, etc.

You will start to understand the average Joe Public much better. You will learn that the things that you think will sell swiftly, wither in the heat of the day and need to be drug back in at dark. It is more often than not, the things that you think NO ONE would ever buy, are the very things that you have priced too low, and are dashed away early and often!

I am doing a yard sale today. I have learned much already, and noon has not beat me against my ale soaked noogin yet!
    I don't mean to sound repetitive, but I agree with Fezz and others . Research is essential. Learn your products, and understand that your learning never ceases. Every time you think you have a good understanding of the available products (specifically lenses), someone will come out with something "new." So, keep up on your product knowledge. Also research your market. To whom are you selling? What age groups are most of your customers? What lifestyles are they living? Ask questions and learn about your customer...each and every one. What types of jobs do they have (are you in a bedroom community of 30-something commuters, or are you in a community where elderly folks are more prevalent)? Is there are particular sport that is more popular than others in your area? (For example, we live near a huge golf course and most of our neighbors are golfers, so my office sells more glasses for golfing than some other sports). Learn the average income level of the market you are selling to. Conversely, don't be afraid to offer the best products first, even though they are usually the higher priced products. And don't assume that just because your customer is a self-supporting student or the cashier from the local grocery store, that he or she isn't interested in a higher quality product just because it costs more. Your customers need to know the features and advantages of each product you introduce them to. After they understand that, you can reiterate how the product will benefit them specifically.
    "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
    --Carl Jung

Thread Information