Thread: trivex material

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused trivex material

I was wondering if anyone else has any problems with the trivex progressives. I recently had a customer come in with a trivex progressive and it had major waves in the lenses. It looked like scratched up and down the lenses but they werent scratches.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Trivex has been a great material. Only Positives and much better in so many ways than say; Poly or CR39. Have you had your lab look at it? they should have an idea of what your issue could be. Coating failure, user error or sure there could be another defect. What PAL was it?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Well, without any other information, I'm going to guess that it's a minus lens, and when they were edged the lens flexed and stressed the hard coating (again, guessing that they are on the back of the lens). Also the lenses could have been too big when they were mounted and the lens again flexed more than the hardcoating. The final straw was probably the heat that you get in Florida expanding the lens.

Can we get pictures?
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Uilleann should be here any minute to tell us how this ALWAYS happens on Trivex lenses and how polycarbonate lenses NEVER have any problems, issues, scratches, flaws, discolorations, etc!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Were the lenses Transitions by chance?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We ahve sometimes had this problem in Phoenix, due to heat and the glasses being left in a car. Unfortunatly, I don't beleive that it has happened to Trivex, but there is always a first time. Ask them if they leave them in a their car.
    I came, I saw, I left

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have periodically seen some distortion on lenses poly, trivex, and or plastic, where they were generated in the digital lab and weren't polished out very well. The scratch coat that was applied after, made them less visible, but was still there.

Bad address email on file KellyR's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This definitely sounds like stress on the lenses to me. I know that poly and Trivex are not the same, however, our lab was experiencing alot of unexplained "wavy lines" on our poly lenses. When we removed the lenses from the frame, the waviness lessened. What our lab started doing was to cut the lens slightly small and then line the frame with liquid liner. No more waves. P.S. we also started using a lot less poly.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyR View Post
    This definitely sounds like stress on the lenses to me. I know that poly and Trivex are not the same, however, our lab was experiencing alot of unexplained "wavy lines" on our poly lenses. When we removed the lenses from the frame, the waviness lessened. What our lab started doing was to cut the lens slightly small and then line the frame with liquid liner. No more waves. P.S. we also started using a lot less poly.
    When the lens liner came out, it was time to find a new lab. I am of the school that the lenses are either right or wrong and it is hard to imagine lenses with "wavy lines" being correct and dispensing them. That is a surfacing problem and not an edging issue; if the lenses were that tight and now loose, what did that correct?

Craig

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We use a ton of trivex and I have only seen those waving labs from one lab, needless to say we no longer use them. We found it was either a surfacing issue or they had sent us poly in place of trivex. We now use a Hoya lab and never have an issue with waves.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Yes, I agree that mostly comeout with bad fining/tuning and polishing in surfacing. Check the surfacing process of your lab to ensure they use a correct process on trivex lenses. Or sometimes operator will mix up jobs and use wrong process on a trivex job.

Thread Information