Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Definitely

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Definitely

This is something I've seen even Darryl do.

Definitely.

There is no "a" in definitely.

If I see you posting and you spell it definately, a big amount of respect goes out the window.

The same goes for mixing up their (ownership), they're (they are), and there (abstract, location). Normal typos are accepted, as I myself typed "and" twice because my fingers were spelling it "adn" for some reason, but there is no excuse for definitely. Definite. Define.

post-scriptum
    I don't even finish reading a post if the poster uses excepted when they mean accepted. That one is impossible to stem from a typo, either.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Snark alert! Definitely.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm open to happy, lighthearted conversation, but don't let language slip. It's your primary verbal and written form of communcation, and it's sad when it degenerates.

I'm not the first person to post a "language & spelling" topic around here, just ranting.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Get over yourself. You're not the resident school marm, and we're not english majors. While I've had difficulty deciphering a few posts, I'm more interested in the poster's contribution than their grammatical skills.

Geirskogul, I will point out any spelling and grammar mistakes you make after this. Definitely...
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Oh, those people came off as jerks, also.

Your post really annoyed me and here's why. You don't need to name names. You just called out one of the best optical minds on this board. What's that about? Darryl doesn't come here to ask questions. He comes here to ANSWER them. Darryl's a genius. He doesn't need us. We need him. Think about THAT before you start nitpicking, because what if the people who read your post will no longer offer you help?

Last edited by Wes; 08-29-2010 at 08:38 PM.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I've been here only a couple of weeks but of all the 'personalities' that I've run across, yours, by far, is one for the record books. Definately.

I've never done this before, but, I'm putting you on my block list. Definately.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    16 posts...is this a OptiBoard record?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    16 posts...is this a OptiBoard record?
    Correction:

"an Optiboard record"

"Optiboard" begins with a vowel, Hence the indefinite article "an" instead of "a".

:shiner:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, bad grammar CDN style. So.....is it "an __________ record"?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow... are you really like that in the real world, or is the 'spelling/grammatical imperfection psychosis' thing just something you AFFECT online?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As Hedley Lamar so famously told his boss Governor Le Petomane
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_P%C3%A9tomane

"Ease your sphincter!"

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    "Ease your sphincter!"

Reminds me of 2:22 in the video

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll be the first to admit that I know my spelling can suck, which is why my home computer is set up to spell check everything I write on it, including web pages. Sadly I have no ability to do so on the work computers.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My very best friend in the world is a horrible speller. I love her anyway. Now, when it comes to medical terminology, for some reason, she never makes a mistake. Go figure.

I, personally, am a big fan of grammar, but there are more important issues. I know I'm not going to correct the world, so what do I care if someone keeps misspelling the same word. I've bookmarked an online spell checker (http://www.spellchecker.net/spellcheck/ for anyone who cares), and use it often.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    People misspell stuff all the time. I know I do. I find the only thing more annoying then reading something that is horrible misspelled is hearing someone tell them what a horrible speller they are. I think most people do this because it makes them feel more intelligent and superior for some reason. I find it to be rude and arrogant. If you are so much smarter why not be smart enough to let it go.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Redhot Jumper

It's nice to not be a jerk about grammar. But it is also incredibly important to express yourself as clearly and intelligently as possible.

Effective communication is absolutely your most important tool in the professional world. Your skills and experience are of no help to you if you cannot convey them to an employer, a client, a customer. Study after study has shown that people who speak and write with correct grammar make more money and advance more quickly than those who don't. If you don't get hired because your resume and cover letter are rife with typos, you don't get the opportunity to tell the employer, "Get over it; it's not that important." That isn't your decision to make.

Fair or unfair, your grammar spreaks volumes about your attention to detail, your education, and even your intelligence. If you can't differentiate between "there," "they're" and "their," "your" and "you're," "its" and "it's," if you use ellipses instead of periods and commas, it's going to give you problems advancing in most occupations. Frankly, if you're 25 years old and you can't demonstrate mastery of something you learned in fourth grade I have to wonder about your ability to learn complex work systems.

In the final analysis, you need a job, you need to succeed in that job and you need to advance in your career. Effective, accurate written communication will help you in all of those things, and improper grammar, spelling and punctuation will hinder you. These are skills which are not difficult to learn, and frankly you should have mastered them by middle school. Here's a hint: people who read a lot tend to have better grammar and spelling. Spending six hours a day on OptiBoard, sadly, does not qualify. Read newspapers, magazines, novels, nonfiction. Teach yourself to see the words instead of just hearing them spoken on TV.

Your argument that grammar is unimportant does not make it so.

Let the flames begin.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree, it "spreaks volumes".....LOL

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    It's nice to not be a jerk about grammar. But it is also incredibly important to express yourself as clearly and intelligently as possible.

Effective communication is absolutely your most important tool in the professional world. Your skills and experience are of no help to you if you cannot convey them to an employer, a client, a customer. Study after study has shown that people who speak and write with correct grammar make more money and advance more quickly than those who don't. If you don't get hired because your resume and cover letter are rife with typos, you don't get the opportunity to tell the employer, "Get over it; it's not that important." That isn't your decision to make.

Fair or unfair, your grammar spreaks volumes about your attention to detail, your education, and even your intelligence. If you can't differentiate between "there," "they're" and "their," "your" and "you're," "its" and "it's," if you use ellipses instead of periods and commas, it's going to give you problems advancing in most occupations. Frankly, if you're 25 years old and you can't demonstrate mastery of something you learned in fourth grade I have to wonder about your ability to learn complex work systems.

In the final analysis, you need a job, you need to succeed in that job and you need to advance in your career. Effective, accurate written communication will help you in all of those things, and improper grammar, spelling and punctuation will hinder you. These are skills which are not difficult to learn, and frankly you should have mastered them by middle school. Here's a hint: people who read a lot tend to have better grammar and spelling. Spending six hours a day on OptiBoard, sadly, does not qualify. Read newspapers, magazines, novels, nonfiction. Teach yourself to see the words instead of just hearing them spoken on TV.

Your argument that grammar is unimportant does not make it so.

Let the flames begin.
    So, because some folks don't feel the need to double check spelling or grammar on an online forum you would assume that they: don't read, haven't mastered the fourth grade, watch an incredible amount of television, and can't get hired for a decent job. Am I reading too much into the post?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I think...in the end...that most of us...have jobs...and don't have...to worry about...advancing in our career.

hmmmm....I seem to be channeling Bill Shatner for some...strange reason...

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I cannae do it captain, I just don't have the Diopter power to see the spell check.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I make sure I spelz dings curectly whenz I put is a resuma. Sometimes though when I posting stuff on interenets I dont looks ovre stuff so I getz a typing o. I agrees wit you dough it is important to spoke correcly with pt and to be speaking clearly is a good thing. Reading is to make our speaking English good.Howevers dis just interenets , and I just hear to have funz and get soem lolz from time to time. I Dank the biggiest part of manners is pretending what is happening is not happening so I wouldn't not point out peoples miss stakes. I don't wanna make people feel that every postign the post iz gunna be mocked cause the engrish our speling is bad. I wood rather then acts they question sow it could be answered. and not feal bad cause they maybe not able to spel to rightly or maybe having bad grammar. There are worse things.

Occupation
    Hey guess what? This is a conversational forum. When I write here, it's as if I'm speaking to you, and it's often done on a blackberry. I'm not the best typist, especially on a tiny keyboard. I assure you my grammar and spelling in my professional writings are just fine. I'm the guy my colleagues come to to proof their work.
    Again, this is an online forum. Go snap someone else's fingers with the ruler.

Occupation
    Caveat: typos, spelling and grammar errors are pet peeves of mine as well, when in BOOKS, NEWSPAPERS, official communications, resumes, and other such media that should be correct. Here? Really? I'm not busting anyones chops about a missed apostrophe. I just want my question answered.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    This is something I've seen even Darryl do.
    Are you sure about that? Because I definitely know how to spell "definitely."

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information