Thread: I have a new job.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I have a new job.

After many sleepless nights I made a decision to take a new position that kind of fell into my lap a few weeks ago. I had been happy for the most part with my old job other than the fact that it was a 50 mile commute through the worst traffic on God's earth and in all kinds of weather. Needless to say what should have been a one hour commute more often took an hour and a half or sometimes three. After 11 years I decided that if a full time job with decent pay and benefits turned up around the corner from home I would take it. And so it did and I did. The pay is a bit less but commission makes up for it and the savings in gas and wear and tear on my car will be substantial. The only thing is...it is not an independent office but a medium sized chain owned by docs. So what I will miss is the input I now have into boycotting the big boy frame companies, buying good but affordable product, making sales decisions off the cuff and setting my own rules. It's a tradeoff. I feel like a traitor. :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats on the new job. Authority may come with time. Cream rises to the top! Good luck.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not a traitor, just a realist. It's a decision that many people today would love to be able to make.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. The whole time we lived in Wisconsin, I worked for a "chain" of ODs, that was part of an umbrella of health care facilities and insurance. Coming straight from a non-profit organization, it was kind of a shock, and I fought most of the sales promotions we held. But the area where we lived was so rural, there were very few offices or optical shops, and I stayed with the one that hired me for four years. I hated working for such a large company, but we provided top notch eye health care, and quality product. I met my very best friend in the world at that job, and for that I'm really thankful.

Don't feel like a traitor. This is an opportunity and a door that was opened to you. You just do the best you can for your patients. They deserve it!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Congratulations and good luck with your new job. And how Curious Cat was saying you should not feel like a traitor, it's a realistic decision.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Closer to home means more quality cocoisland58 time! Ya gotta do wacha gotta do! Congratulations!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations!! Nothing wrong with being a little mercenary if the payback is worth it, and it sounds like Time & Money (more, not less) are the payback. Enjoy the new work environment and make the most of it. There is always something new to learn by working with different folks.
    ;):bbg:

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Good on ya. Congrats!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :cheers: Way to go!!!! Just think, you will be a positive influence to your new employers with the knowledge of product that they are unfamiliar with!!! Time at home it worth it all, and you are only a traitor if you do a diservice to your ex employer, which we all know you would never do. ENJOY the free time from the commute!
    I came, I saw, I left

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Time closer to home is worth more than money.

Great decision.

Thread Information