Thread: More reactions to SV FF-Strange but true

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

More reactions to SV FF-Strange but true

So this lens class has now taken out what was 50% of my previous stock/finished lens business.

Forgetting the wows and etc, I have found a number of clients initially find the sharpness "strange" and occasionally offputting. Later, when others return after initial delivery for adjustments, I ask them what they think. They say: "It took me a few days to get used to them, but now I think they're great!"

I just had another client (ahem...an engineer) with a -1.50cyl and warped CR39 lenses, who, upon trying the new SV FF on, said: "Ohhh...they feel strange! Almost too sharp. You know, when a new pair feels strange, often they are blurry. These are strange, but sharp!"

Others?

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    "Offputting"- My grandma used to make that, kind of like Tapioca. There are many reasons a patient will need to "wear in their new lenses". I remember many years ago struggling to get high plus patients to give their new asherics a few days trial run. Success with some but i had a few that wanted nothing to do with their new found clarity. " I can't see too clear! What, you can't see to clear?? Yes, I can't see- they're too clear!! No joke.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, it's almost like contrast overload for a while. From my own experience I have a pair of SV FF that are about 10 months old and my newest pair which are (believe it or not) my first go around with 1.67 in my 21 years as an optician. I felt like even though the FF were intially more crisp than the 1.67, once I got used to the hi index it's as sharp or better. I'm wondering if my high Cyl is the culprit?
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't had that reaction yet. Lately I have been getting cornael transplant patients and the responses from them in their new FF SV lenses has been quiet positive.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have had the same reaction a few times... I am guessing its caused by information overload. In some people they only see clearly in the center of the lens and tend to "tune out" all the blurry stuff. When it becomes clear, they are suddenly hit with more information than they were. Street signs, trees, "I didn't know there was a dry cleaner there!" etc. After a few days though, I have never had a patient who wished to go back.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I have had the same reaction a few times... I am guessing its caused by information overload. In some people they only see clearly in the center of the lens and tend to "tune out" all the blurry stuff. When it becomes clear, they are suddenly hit with more information than they were. Street signs, trees, "I didn't know there was a dry cleaner there!" etc. After a few days though, I have never had a patient who wished to go back.
    Agreed!

B

Thread Information