View Poll Results: to give a p.d. or not?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • tell them hell no

28 44.44%
  • give as a professional courtesy hoping they come back

9 14.29%
  • get it from your doctor

4 6.35%
  • or sure sit down and charge them 20.00 for meausrement

24 38.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: p.d. for on-line glasses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused p.d. for on-line glasses

should we charge for someone who walks into our dispenser asking for a p. d for there glasses they want to order on-line how do we handle this just a survey?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    well.... neither. We would charge them for a short consult through Medicare (a government medical scheme here in aus). So they dont pay anything, yet we get $$ for our time.
    Its ok!.....I work at an independant!....and no, thats NOT on sale.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Honestly here we not really dealing with online glasses but somehow we does give away to our regular patient for free.. so far no one come in ask for PD measurement..
    Yeap

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I forget which thread it was in, but I remember someone suggested charging for it and then if the person came back and purchased a pair of glasses within the next month to credit the charge towards that pair of glasses. I liked that idea.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I charge thru the nose for them. :D :D :D

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Online measurements should be gladly provided for a fee of at least what your car mechanic would charge per hour or any part thereof. In exchange for that fee you should be happy to verify the Rx and provide the initial adjustment.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Actually, I charge $50, which includes adjustments and troubleshooting in addition to measurements. Nobody has taken me up on it yet.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is an area that always makes me feel weird. I do like helping people, but I can't in good conscience endorse buying glasses online. I've taken PD's for people getting glasses online and all the times I've done it, I've felt a little strange about it. I want to charge them, but I end up not doing it most of the time (depending on the person, sometimes there is a kind of "pain in the butt" charge). I guess I still haven't made my mind up about this particular subject...

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    I forget which thread it was in, but I remember someone suggested charging for it and then if the person came back and purchased a pair of glasses within the next month to credit the charge towards that pair of glasses. I liked that idea.
    I kinda like this idea...
    Last edited by musicvirtuoso; 08-16-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added edit

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    By providing this measurement are we opening ourselves up to any problems? Will the unhappy recipient of those "things" be blaming you, since he can come into your brick and mortar and voice his dissatisfaction out loud in front of your loyal patients/customers? I've mixed feelings and am waiting for some input along these lines. Chris.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a fee we charge for this particular situation. When the patient has his examination, the PD is not taken (well, the auto-refractor takes one, but for sure it's not very accurate. The techs use it to set in the phoropter and that's it). We only have a PD on record if we fill the glasses Rx. The act of measuring the PD is a service, just the same as taking K readings for a contact lens fitting, and the doctor has the right to charge for that service. As a courtesy, in return for the fee, we will also verify the Rx and do any adjusting that a brand-spankin-new-never been tried on-frame will need. Most people (the very few I've ever had to do this for) don't balk at the fee; the recognize that they are obviously taking their business elsewhere and asking us to assist in someone else's job.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    if it is a patient and we have it on file yes. if not NO. we don't want to be in the middle of a potential problem.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    By providing this measurement are we opening ourselves up to any problems? Will the unhappy recipient of those "things" be blaming you, since he can come into your brick and mortar and voice his dissatisfaction out loud in front of your loyal patients/customers? I've mixed feelings and am waiting for some input along these lines. Chris.
    It depends, Chris. IMO, if you keep a record of the PD, and the person comes back in to complain, simply take the glasses and put them on the lensometer and mark the PD's. Then cross check to what you have on record. If they match, the problem is elsewhere, if they don't match, then that's the problem...in either case, it's not your fault, as long as you have a record of what you measured originally.

(BTW, I'm in the 'charge a fee' group, just so y'all know)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Regarding the opinion that maybe we can supply PD's hoping that they will come back-- Makes no sense to me, heck, they are there asking for data because they're already not coming back, they're purchasing elsewhere. ??
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hedouble hockeystick no!

Like, how may times have you had people promise something, and not deliver, said they would show for an appointment, followup, or adjustment, and not do it. How may pairs have you written off? How many times have they said they'd call you, but haven't? Shall we bend over one more time? Assisting anyone in online purchasing sanctions the deed. Discourage it in any way that you can. Cooperation is credibilty. I, for one, will offer no credibilty to online purchases of a medical device without the legitimate assistance of a jurisdictional licenced ECP.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would you supply measurements and verification and adjustments for another brick & mortar optical in your community?

I think not.

So why ok for online?

Methinks youthinks, deep down in your heart of hearts, that if the client can get eyewear ALOT cheaper than you, you would too, if you had too.

Discussion.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This the 8 jillionth thread on this subject. Every possible viewpoint has been put forward. I suggest that everyone now decide for themselves, in silence, which approach they will take.
    I don't mean to grump, but how many times must the same things be said?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    I agree with this. Our stance is that we don't give out measurements for precisely this reason. We only take responsibility for our own work. Besides we as opticians give away enough of our services for free. Did any of you go to school, get certified and or licensed to give away your services for free. I also agree with Dragonlensman in that it won't just end with free measurements. Where are they going to go for the adjustments and repairs. I believe in building your business through bread and butter giveaways but online ordering has cost advantages that we just can't match. My wife takes a prescription drug every single day of her life but do you think her doctor gave her a lifetime supply of refills? Hell no, she makes my wife come in every year for a checkup and then gives her 12 months at a time. The reason for this is that she didn't put in the time and effort to become a doctor to work for free.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    It depends, Chris. IMO, if you keep a record of the PD, and the person comes back in to complain, simply take the glasses and put them on the lensometer and mark the PD's. Then cross check to what you have on record. If they match, the problem is elsewhere, if they don't match, then that's the problem...in either case, it's not your fault, as long as you have a record of what you measured originally.

(BTW, I'm in the 'charge a fee' group, just so y'all know)
    But are you suggesting that we not only take the pd for them for free so they can go elsewhere to purchase and then store the information as well? If I make a mistake somewhere I'm responsible for my own work. Whose responsible for theirs? I have enough responsiblility keeping up with the patients who actually bothered to pay for my services. I think I understand where your actually coming from but frankly I want no part of online ordering.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IF you take a PD then charge for it, that person will be back, then charge again for further professional time and service, maybe next time they will buy from you with that newfound education concerning eyeglass intricacies, if not you get to do it all again when they do it again...LOL

I suggest it further devalues what we do if we keep giving our time & expertise for nothing.

Occupation
    "Just say NO!"
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    "I'm sorry, that is not a service we provide."
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cleyes View Post
    IF you take a PD then charge for it, that person will be back, then charge again for further professional time and service, maybe next time they will buy from you with that newfound education concerning eyeglass intricacies, if not you get to do it all again when they do it again...LOL

I suggest it further devalues what we do if we keep giving our time & expertise for nothing.
    This statement begs the question Why aren't we charging for our time to begin with? Give me another industry that gives its time away?
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My point exactly!!!!!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If I do the exam, I do not mind giving out a pd, but it really burns me when they want pd and seg heights for a frame I have in stock--especially if they also sucked down significant staff time helping them to find a frame.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would charge for staff time used if you were to give ANY information after the written RX!! Explain politely that you are in business to support YOUR business.

By the way, WELCOME, just noticed it's your first post!
    Last edited by cleyes; 08-22-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Thread Information