Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is arrogance an inherent trait in opticians?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Mr. Hamm, you are new here so you have a different perspective. Most of us have been here for years and know each other. Consider the audacity, arrogance, or foolishness of a freshly certified new poster giving us spelling and grammar lessons inside of 15 posts (and then make several typos/spelling/grammar errors!) We're not likely to take it very well. I did try to warn the poster, but was ignored.
    We are not normally as mean spirited as you have seen.
    There are rules here, written and unwritten, and that poster broke several from both categories. I hope the individual sticks around and I ask that the rest of us let it die. Aside from the few missteps, s/he seems to have good intentions.
    Last edited by Wes; 09-02-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye glass lady View Post
    Hi eyeguy21,

Hey..Thanks for your comment. :) Is very encouraging. And YES !! I'm an optician and proud of it !! :)
    I really like working at the VA. I have a small shop just down from the eye clinic. The vets get their eyes checked then are sent down to me for a fitting. We have a certain section of frames that the VA pays for, then there's a section they can upgrade , pay a little extra if they'd rather have a little better quality frame. They can upgrade to Transitions, ARX, Tints and much more. Just about anything a larger shop can do. Our prices are cheaper then any outside shop , around here anyway.. :) There are limits the frames we can order, but all in all, I get great comments from the veterans about my selection. The veteran can come to me for adjustments anytme and there are no charges. I've been here going on five years. I set up the shop, and practually learned everything myself. Not much help from the EC, sad to say, but it could be worse I suppose. There are quite a few of our shops going up in different states. We are contracted to the VAMC . The vets always tell me that they are so glad that we are there and always seem really happy to get their specs. :)) Makes me feel good that I'm serving the veterans that put their life on the line for me.
    Ditto that. I'm constantly griping about all the free services we provide, but for the veterans it's a no-brainer. Always free of charge and thank you for your service.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    wss, I am indeed new to posting here. I have, however, been a lurker for quite some time, so I have seen patterns of behavior stretching back much farther than my membership indicates.

I am also not new to the internet, nor am I new to bulletin boards. I maintain that this board maintains and accepts a level of mean-spiritedness much higher than any online community I am a part of. I almost never see admins stepping in to control anything other than wholesale prices being quoted.

OB is often cliquish and exclusionary, and many of its members take absolute delight in insulting and rejecting newer posters where we should be welcoming and educating. On more than one occasion, particularly in the past week, I have considered deleting my account, not because I have been insulted by something someone has said to me, but because of the way another member with a perfectly cogent point was treated.

OB is supposed to be "The Premier Online Community for Optical Professionals." It seems often to be little more than a big adolescent boys' club.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Then again, the banter I've experienced here isn't all that dissimilar to that I've encountered across 20+ yrs in the business. I just think it's the nature of the game. I've never worked in a position in the lab or optical dispensary where there wasn't this type of comradery. Some may be more mean spirited but on the other hand I put forth a thread or two and had helpful responses in no time. If you've never worked in a lab you should check it out. It's quite an experience.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeguy21 View Post
    If you've never worked in a lab you should check it out. It's quite an experience.
    That is DEFINITELY true. I started in the lab 21 years ago and can attest to it. ;-)

And for the record, I have also found many excellent answers and lots of great comradery here.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    That is DEFINITELY true. I started in the lab 21 years ago and can attest to it. ;-)

And for the record, I have also found many excellent answers and lots of great comradery here.
    Yeah, 21 yrs qualifies. Anybody ever played leap pad bowling? We used to collect the old Leap pads and make a ball kinda like some do with rubber bands and after a while it'd get huge. Then you just make some makeshift pins and presto -- leap pad bowling. Most times it was too busy to mess with it but come clean up time...game on!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess I must have pretty thick skin or careless what people say. I don't take these comments or most others to be mean spirited. I can only think of one person that was in the slightest way rude but it did not bother me.I don't let people run me off either. I am not really apart of any other online community other then facebook but everyone here seems to get on fine.Yes we have a flame war or two but it is the internet and that is the nature of the beast.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Optical jobs are tough. Long hours. Customers are demanding when it comes to eyewear. Customers do not appreciate the skill required to be an optician. Etc. Etc. There is almost an art to being a great optician. Just watch one of the best adjusting frames or making a pair of high end glasses. This breeds arrogance and some of it is a good thing.

If you work in a big lab or office, we all remember in our first job how their was a person everyone looked up to as a true artisan working the machines, edging, adjusting, etc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Tabor View Post
    Optical jobs are tough. Long hours. Customers are demanding when it comes to eyewear. Customers do not appreciate the skill required to be an optician. Etc. Etc. There is almost an art to being a great optician. Just watch one of the best adjusting frames or making a pair of high end glasses. This breeds arrogance and some of it is a good thing.

If you work in a big lab or office, we all remember in our first job how their was a person everyone looked up to as a true artisan working the machines, edging, adjusting, etc.
    Nice First Post......and welcome!:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Tabor View Post

Great opticians ARE artists, as are any great professionals in most fields. Just being able to spout the technical knowhow is not enough, imagination and knowledge of human nature, great hand eye co-ordination, mechanical ability, delicate touch, eye for beauty and symmetry, fashion sense, and a myriad of other skills go into what we do. Not all of us are lucky enough to possess the whole package, and if we do, then people beat a path to our door, and word of mouth referrals are prevalent in our practice. On top of everything we must be likable and personable, not brusque or arrogant, be able to hide our incredulity, disdain, dislike of some of our patients, while honestly guiding them into the best options for them. I have left out many things, feel free to add.
    Experts often seem arrogant, short of patience with those they feel should be as well informed. That's life. You get a bunch of them together and they can't help oozing arrogance. My plumber is condescending when explaining my pipes, my mechanic likewise, my accountant is just incredulous at my lack of knowledge......... but they do it with good humour so I forgive and will return to them, they are my experts.
    There are sharp biting comments here, but with a liberal sprinkling of apologies, that's what makes it so interesting and engaging. We learn more than just optics, we see personality patterns, we get to "know" each other, even if we never meet. It's also VERY easy to be sharp in print.......I'm much sweeter in person!! LOL

By the way, from one newbie to another, WELCOME!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    wss, I am indeed new to posting here. I have, however, been a lurker for quite some time, so I have seen patterns of behavior stretching back much farther than my membership indicates.

I am also not new to the internet, nor am I new to bulletin boards. I maintain that this board maintains and accepts a level of mean-spiritedness much higher than any online community I am a part of. I almost never see admins stepping in to control anything other than wholesale prices being quoted.

OB is often cliquish and exclusionary, and many of its members take absolute delight in insulting and rejecting newer posters where we should be welcoming and educating. On more than one occasion, particularly in the past week, I have considered deleting my account, not because I have been insulted by something someone has said to me, but because of the way another member with a perfectly cogent point was treated.

OB is supposed to be "The Premier Online Community for Optical Professionals." It seems often to be little more than a big adolescent boys' club.
    I'm so sorry you have experienced bad things here. If you can sift through some of the "stuff" here, there is so much information that is wonderful here. I didn't just drop off the truck, yesterday, and don't really post a lot anymore, but need to come here to listen to my fellow OB'ers regularly. I've been around a long time, and because of that, some feel that I'm what "OLD"? There are some new folks and there are some old folks. There are some truly knowledgeable folks, who would put others to shame. Their knowledge helps us all. I'd like to think we can all contribute professionally. Does that make us arrogant? I dunno. Occassionally, the "sweet "OLD" ladies" like Judy or I have to step in and remind them to be "nice".

OK boys and girls, be "nice".:)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Look in the mirror when typing or speaking.

If you would not want someone to say it to you, than don't do it.

I have long felt that the few loud mouths take joy in putting down others. I do not let my kids speak that way and it should be filtered out of Optiboard.
    It seems to me that the negative and aggresive posters scare away the newbies and this is wrong!!

There are some amazing minds on this board and they never seem to have to put down others to build them self up. I do feel people should get warnings and then posting rights should be censored to ensure the poster is not being an a--hole!

Craig
    Last edited by Craig; 09-03-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Johns

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I would and do not let my kids speak that way and it should be filtered out of Optiboard.
    It seems to me that the negative and aggresive posters scare away the newbies and this is wrong!!
    So you let your kids talk like this around the house?

I do feel people should get warnings and then posting rights should be censored to ensure the poster is not being an a--hole!
    :finger::finger::finger::bbg:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Apprentice Eye glass lady's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Haha. Concerning hazing .... Who would ask that kind of question? Well, hmmmm...... that the best you can do. :))
    Last edited by Eye glass lady; 09-06-2010 at 10:05 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice Eye glass lady's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with you Stan... I adjust glasses all day and the ( veteran) customer always watches me. I get alot of comments on , wow, how can you see that little screw, or how can you get it just right like that and when they walk out the door, its, ' man this is great, I can see again' ...... With over 20 years experience , well, I do get it right sometimes... :) Its funny because its spread around now that that "ABOC' lady works miracles, she can fix anything.... :))

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Some funny stuff.

Actually, OB is not the worst when it comes to attacking posters...(unless you're an OD of course)...easy guys, just kidding.

Actually, it's been quite friendly and civil here the past year.

OptiBoardaholic Ineed Chocolate's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've experienced my share of negativity to comments I've made or questions I've asked in the past, too. I learn a lot here, though. Thankfully, the learning never ends...and even if a harsh comes my way once in awhile, I chalk it up to either (a) it's not always easy to completely understand a remark/reply in writing, as it is to converse with someone face-to-face, so there are bound to be misunderstandings, or (b) the nasty little comment being made to me is being made by one or two nasty little people who are arrogant and probably rather miserable in their own lives on a daily basis. If that's the case, then that is their personality/character deficit, not mine. So, no newbie professionals should give up on posting here...learn what you can and take what you can use from this board (and others, of course) and try to ignore the rest.
    "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
    --Carl Jung

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Eh, different people, different opinions. I'm going for understanding the ones that are trying to find out more, so..arrogance isn't my buddy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about a first post responding to a first post? :)

I like to think of myself as a manual laborer; I work with my brains and my hands. I take a lot of pride in my work especially when I can use my hard-earned experience to create a product for patient that is customized to their needs. I would cringe to think I have ever been arrogant towards a patient (I know I used to be a know-it-all in my early 20's but frankly who isn't?) but I know that some of my coworkers think I am not only arrogant but also controlling. Maybe this is true to a certain extent but I credit this to how much I value accountability. I feel that if someone else in my office offers subpar service then that it is a reflection of me, the only Optician in the office. Maybe I take myself too seriously, but I know that my customers really appreciate it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Apparently, I happened to know Mr. Patel...he is working as a Technical Manager: Optical Lab & Rx Lenses at BAHRAIN since 2009, I believe. So I was surprised to see such inquiry, as he always posed knowledgeable infront of his colleagues....
    Last edited by Cantfoolme...; 10-24-2011 at 01:09 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Apparently, I happened to know Mr. Patel...he is working as a Technical Manager: Optical Lab & Rx Lenses at BAHRAIN since 2009, I believe. So I was surprised to see such inquiry, as he always posed knowledgeable infront of his colleagues...
    Last edited by Cantfoolme...; 10-24-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=musicvirtuoso;355261] I was simply commenting on the fact that I've seen (not just here, but many places in the optical community) where ignorance or misunderstanding is met with hostility and rudeness..[/QUOTE

Perhaps it's simply the "arrogance" of online communities in general. Trust me.. if you post something anywhere online that might even remotely appear ignorant and/or stupid you take the risk of being eaten alive.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes arrogance is part of it, how else can those of us that are just salespeople maintain our feeling that we are somehow better than everyone else in the business?

Chip

Since we can't find anything outstanding to say about ourselves, we have to say disparaging things about others.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 10-24-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    See?!! Proof positive!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree that we should always be polite and helpful to newer ECPs with questions, but I also agree that this clearly sounds like a consumer. As a reaction to the internet businesses that are now proliferating, and I am not proud to say this but, I began to charge $20 for a pd. So many people have taken advantage of my kindness, and willingness to be helpful, that I had to draw the line somewhere.

Thread Information