Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is arrogance an inherent trait in opticians?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I'm not arrogant, I'm just right.

And my wife has given me permision to believe that as long as I want.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Apprentice Eye glass lady's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello, I'm new on here and have been browsing through this thread and it amuses me, not because its funny, because really its not, but because the arrogance in Opticans is very prevelant. :) I get quite abit of arrogance directed towards me at my work place from the Opthamology techs. I'm an Optician and am certified, I run the optical shop at a VA. At times it seems I'm made to feel lesser then the techs because of this. I 'm very busy in my shop. One person after another most days, and I do ALOT of paper work, checking glasses, orders, measurings, repairs, etc.. I don't feel as though I'm arrogant. But I CAN see where it happens. I really try to make a point to be friendly and care about the patient when they come in.

To eyeguy21
    I just think that after you've been in this business long enough you're self-preservation mode kicks in and you get sort of eccentric or goofy. That sometimes comes across as aloof or arrogant. Oh, plus we definitely think we know it everything.
    I agree with you here. So true. :))

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Eye glass lady;356081] I run the optical shop at a VA. At times it seems I'm made to feel lesser then the techs because of this. I 'm very busy in my shop. One person after another most days, and I do ALOT of paper work, checking glasses, orders, measurings, repairs, etc.. I don't feel as though I'm arrogant. But I CAN see where it happens. I really try to make a point to be friendly and care about the patient when they come in.

You work at the VA? I've never seen how it works in the VA. Is it basically like just a regular optical shop? I have some regulars that order their glasses from the VA but then have them mailed to them. I guess there must not be a VA close to them because they come in here to have them adjusted. Just curious. And don't worry about the techs their all full of snot because they work with doctors. Besides, they're beneath you, your an optician remember?
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerlilly View Post
    Optiboard eats its own young. I've come to see it as a hazing ritual, because once you survive it (if you don't get run off) you can actually get some great answers and support from the very people who were cracking on you in the beginning.
    I feel left out, I don't remember ever being "hazed." I must have been lucky...
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The Official (albeit late) Hazing of Opticianbart:

Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    I feel left out, I don't remember ever being "hazed." I must have been lucky...
    That's because you're probably a terrible optician, you work for WM, and your mother dressed you funny as a child. :angry::angry:

On second thought, you're probably not even in the optical field. You're probably some internet surfing consumer that lives in his parents' basement. There's a good chance you also post on the synthetic hydraulic fluid sites, pretending to be a hydraulic engineer.:angry::angry:

Welcome to Optiboard you pathetic loser!

(Sorry, that's the best I can do on short notice, but I gave it a shot. Hope you feel better now. I hope you liked the (:angry:). Those are usually enough to scare newbies away w/out the verbal abuse!:bbg: )
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Ha-HA-Ha........! I'm SURE Johns got that perfect. BTW, I hear there's a new line of Redwood frames about to hit the market. Heard anything?
    Last edited by FVCCHRIS; 08-19-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: thpelling
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are in one of the several states serviced by VISN 11 then my honey had some hand in making those glasses for the vets!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    and your mother dressed you funny as a child.
    Very true, and if I can find the picture I'm thinking of I'll post a picture to prove it.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Ha-HA-Ha........! I'm SURE Johns got that perfect. BTW, I hear there's a new line of Redwood frames about to hit the market. Heard anything?
    Funny you should mention it! Crossing the border from Oregon back into Ca., the agriculture agents found my son's stash of redwood walking sticks he'd lashed to the roof. Surprisingly, they let them in, and we've got a great supply of temple stock now.

Now back to the thread...

Yeah, the early fashion abuse by Opticianbart's folks has really left a deep scar...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi eyeguy21,

Hey..Thanks for your comment. :) Is very encouraging. And YES !! I'm an optician and proud of it !! :)
    I really like working at the VA. I have a small shop just down from the eye clinic. The vets get their eyes checked then are sent down to me for a fitting. We have a certain section of frames that the VA pays for, then there's a section they can upgrade , pay a little extra if they'd rather have a little better quality frame. They can upgrade to Transitions, ARX, Tints and much more. Just about anything a larger shop can do. Our prices are cheaper then any outside shop , around here anyway.. :) There are limits the frames we can order, but all in all, I get great comments from the veterans about my selection. The veteran can come to me for adjustments anytme and there are no charges. I've been here going on five years. I set up the shop, and practually learned everything myself. Not much help from the EC, sad to say, but it could be worse I suppose. There are quite a few of our shops going up in different states. We are contracted to the VAMC . The vets always tell me that they are so glad that we are there and always seem really happy to get their specs. :)) Makes me feel good that I'm serving the veterans that put their life on the line for me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jubilee,
    If you're referring to me, then no I'm in visn 15. :)) Kansas...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Johns, I've never been hazed either. How bout it, how bad can you haze me? :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye glass lady View Post
    Hey Johns, I've never been hazed either. How bout it, how bad can you haze me? :)
    With a question like that, you ain't worthy of an Optiboard Hazing!

Who would ask that kind of question?

Are you a CONsumer?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i wanna be hazed!!
    haze me! haze me!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is getting kinda creepy....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wanna watch!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I wanna watch!
    If you were a real optical pro, you would participate, not sit and watch!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I can't. I've reached my hazing quota limit this month. I'm not allowed any more until midnight. ;)
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    If you were a real optical pro, you would participate, not sit and watch!
    Allllriiighty then.....Hey Optilady! What year do you get out?;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    are you referring to my shiv?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    are you referring to my shiv?
    Ah Ha....dead give-away! You and Eyeglass lady are friends!

Her location pinpoints where you both are! I'll bet you're her BF and share the same cozy accommodations, an 8 by 8 on Cellblock C, and right now your hovering over a shared laptop, cackling away, thinking you fooled the ECPs on Optiboard!

The closest to optics you've been, is probably that sharpened P.D ruler you smuggled in. The one you stole from the last optician you were at on the outside.:angry:

Haze over:bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is that considered a 2 for 1 haze?

Welcome to Optiboard, Optilady1, and to you, Eye glass lady

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well first of all, i'm the one with the shiv, so she'll just have to wait her turn, whilst i cackle over said computer.
    and second, i'm far too young to cackle. i'm youthful and fair, therefore i giggle.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not conceited I am convinced. I read the question you posted originally and I don't work in a lab and I had no idea so don't feel bad. I have never been afraid to ask a stupid question. Just look at some of my post!! I do however try to research the answer to my question myself and if I get no results or want another persons opinion I ask. Some people may behave poorly on this sight but its the internet (not saying that makes it okay) and people can be meaner and more cruel on the internet then they ever would be in real life. Why ? Because we are all jerks.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    Some people may behave poorly on this sight but its the internet (not saying that makes it okay) and people can be meaner and more cruel on the internet then they ever would be in real life.
    And yet there are many places on the internet where people are polite and the discussion is civil. This forum has some of the most hateful posting I have ever seen, which makes no sense to me at all. I would expect a place where professionals gather to share knowledge and experiences to be supportive. The "hazing" that is accepted around here frankly disgusts me on many occasions.

Thread Information