Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Trivex redos?!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Confused Unlimited Trivex redos?!

I had a patient come into my office for an eye exam about a year ago. He is a concrete site manager for a local construction company. His glasses were more than scratched-- the entire front surface was removed. He complained that with his job, that his glasses always look that way. His previous optician had him in polycarb (!). I refit him into Trivex. He came back the next year and his glasses looked 95% better, but still he had bad scratches.

My lab will only let me do one remake of Trivex without charging me. Do you know of any lab that will allow me unlimited redos on Trivex?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not offer him a 1 or 2 year warranty for $15 or $25 that entitles him to unlimited replacements at a reduced cost that will be enough to cover your lab costs & time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not offer a package price for a 2 or 3 pak of replacement lenses with first dispense, similar to the way disposable contacts are handled?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Scratch warranties are a function of the coating, not of the lens material.
    RT

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshu View Post
    I had a patient come into my office for an eye exam about a year ago. He is a concrete site manager for a local construction company. His glasses were more than scratched-- the entire front surface was removed. He complained that with his job, that his glasses always look that way. His previous optician had him in polycarb (!). I refit him into Trivex. He came back the next year and his glasses looked 95% better, but still he had bad scratches.

My lab will only let me do one remake of Trivex without charging me. Do you know of any lab that will allow me unlimited redos on Trivex?
    Really? Do you give your business away like that?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Are you nuts? Why do you expect the Lab to pay for your customers hard use? If you think he should get free replacements when a product is not defective then YOU should happily pay 'the lab' for the replacement lenses. If you don't want to pay for them why do you think a Lab wants to?
    So, if you feel customer service for your practice is better served with Giving a way your Time, Training, Over Head and Products i think varmint has a reasonable suggestion.
    Good grief..

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why should the lab have to pay for this patients abuse?
    The labs are making FAR less than you are on this job. Why don't you replace them on your dime?

Does Carhartt replace his beat up jeans multiple times for free?
    Does DeWalt or Milwaukee replace his tools multiple times for free?
    Does Danner replace his workboots free of charge everytime he ruins a pair?

Where is the patient's responsibility here? Why doesn't he take better care of his glasses? I bet he could use a face shield, a goggle that fits over his spectacles, or something similar.
    I bet this patient would be a great candidate for glass lenses. Yes..........that is right....GLASS LENSES!

Occupation
    Sell him a pack of those cheap disposable overspecks.
    You can get these by the box.
    http://www.labsafety.com/CREWS-Yukon...pecs_24553048/
    Last edited by Speed; 08-15-2010 at 08:08 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you know of any lab that will allow me unlimited redos on Trivex?
    No, no I don't. Do you really think that your lab, or any lab, gets those "remade" lenses for free?

Occupation
    Surface warantees were started by lens manufacturers long, long ago. Then long ago they changed. "We have calculated your warantee returns, so instead of you and us having to deal with the expense of returning them, we not will discount blanket # that will cover this expense." That discount has since been recouped in price increases so that the lab, middle man is in actuality covering this expense. I can remember our retail customers telling me, it does not cost you anything. This made me want to send them out a lens blank. "You may send that to the lab of your choice and they will be thrilled to process that for you."

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you speed and diopterman. I really appreciate your imput. You two really made me think about this. You expressed your opinions very eloquently without resorting to childish name calling.

Previously, I had thought that my policies would demonstrate excellent customer service but you really showed me that, as Speed said, all I was doing was giving away my services and degrading my abilities in the process.

Dipoterman, I really like your question of whether DeWalt replaces their tools once they break. I enjoy woodworking in my spare time and I have had multiple tools break on me. Not once did I blame the manufacturer or retailer when this happened.

I really need to change my policies. Thank you again.

Occupation
    Why does he always come back 1 year latter?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1 year warranty replacement?

Occupation
    We knew a guy once that part of his sales pitch was to tell the customer to bring them in in 11 months and 29 days and have them remade.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diopterman View Post
    Why should the lab have to pay for this patients abuse?
    The labs are making FAR less than you are on this job. Why don't you replace them on your dime?

Does Carhartt replace his beat up jeans multiple times for free?
    Does DeWalt or Milwaukee replace his tools multiple times for free?
    Does Danner replace his workboots free of charge everytime he ruins a pair?

Where is the patient's responsibility here? Why doesn't he take better care of his glasses? I bet he could use a face shield, a goggle that fits over his spectacles, or something similar.
    I bet this patient would be a great candidate for glass lenses. Yes..........that is right....GLASS LENSES!
    Absolutely what I was thinking...ALL of it! An Optician with a little time under his/her belt would have politely and professionally brought to the patient's attention all of those points.
    After that the patient would have been told absolutely, we'd be happy to replace those lenses under warranty but that any further redo's- due to the nature of the business that this poor unfortunate patient was in, would not be without charge. Then we would have also reviewed some other options for him- including glass(which was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the thread). This guy would have left happy and he would have been thankful that his Optician was there to solve problems-not complain about the number of redos and the costs involved. I surface lenses including Trivex and I don't understand the assumption that accounts think we're somehow being compensated by some mystical lens credit God out there. It's called a trash can and less groceries that week.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Absolutely what I was thinking...ALL of it! An Optician with a little time under his/her belt would have politely and professionally brought to the patient's attention all of those points.
    After that the patient would have been told absolutely, we'd be happy to replace those lenses under warranty but that any further redo's- due to the nature of the business that this poor unfortunate patient was in, would not be without charge. Then we would have also reviewed some other options for him- including glass(which was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the thread). This guy would have left happy and he would have been thankful that his Optician was there to solve problems-not complain about the number of redos and the costs involved. I surface lenses including Trivex and I don't understand the assumption that accounts think we're somehow being compensated by some mystical lens credit God out there. It's called a trash can and less groceries that week.
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is someone who definitely needs two pairs. He needs a pair for work that will get ground up and have to be replaced as necessary (with a one-time remake if that's your lab's warranty), and then a pair for everything else in his life that actually lasts and can be replaced as necessary at each exam and RX change.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not a big fan of glass lenses, but there are applications where it is simply the best choice - such as concrete work (although the safety factor is a problem).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I wonder if he brings his truck the the dealer and expects the dings and scratched to be removed?

Allow a one time N/C replacement if your lab allows, and tell your pat. to get some "fit-overs".
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, absolutely. One time replacement only. We're pretty liberal about what we replace but technically the warranty is reserved for damage as a result of Normal wear and not patient abuse.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our expertise and proffesionalism is being tossed out the window every time we "give" free lenses away, don't you want them to be examined again in a year? Do you really want your lab to have to raise their costs to you due to excessive "re-makes", do we not educate our patients on proper care? I could go on and on, but others have said it better for me, Varmint, Diopterman, Tony etc. He should have a work pair (safety) and a dress pair.
    I came, I saw, I left

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Thanks to the guys who voted for glass lenses!!

Leeshu: definately glass lenses will take more abuse than most monomer/polymer will, but they will still get scratched up albeit less deeply I believe than what he's been using in the past. IMO, this is one of those learning opportunities that get presented to us from time to time: awareness of what the patient does at work and what happens to his/her glasses. I totally agree with the two pairs suggestions above as well as the suggestions about additional facial protection. Look at the guys face and if you see excessive 'weathering', hand the guy a mirror and show him what's happening to his face because of the concrete. Make the case for additional protection! You may not carry it in your store, but most welding supply houses have a very good selection of full face shields that are very inexpensive.

As far as 'normal wear and tear', what he does is waaay outside 'normal'...

(And turn it into a teaching opportunity for your staff as well!)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good suggestion about the teaching opportunity, Mike. But for legal reasons I was taught in optometry school to stay away from glass lenses (especially for a construction worker). Trivex and polycarb are much safer. I'm interested to hear what opticians say about this.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Good suggestion about the teaching opportunity, Mike. But for legal reasons I was taught in optometry school to stay away from glass lenses (especially for a construction worker). Trivex and polycarb are much safer. I'm interested to hear what opticians say about this.
    Unfortunately leeshu, you were taught incorrectly. While monomer/polymer lenses may be more break resistant, they still break and can cause eye injury/damage just like glass lenses. Glass is not the pariah the schools make it out to be. I'd personally like to wring the necks of the teachers and textbook writers who put mythical legalities before optics.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    http://www.youngeroptics.com/impact_...Test_high.html

I'd like to see them include chem tempered glass.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information